Roy Disney Resigns; Calls On Eisner To Step Aside

daoVinci

Re: Re: funny

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
The only thing I say to people like you bashing Eisner is give him some credit for what he did in the beginning...give him the credit he deserves.

If you read the various threads popping up on this topic I think you'll find that most people agree with you...and with Roy.

Eisner came in at a cruical moment and saved Disney from a slow, atrophied death. That's his specialty. He excellent at breathing new life into a company. It after that when things seem to go awry.

It seems to me Eisner takes huge risks when there's really nothing to lose (as with Disney in the early 80's). But when he's on top, he goes into a defensive mode and wants to 'protect' that status...understandable when there's so much on the line.

But THAT isn't Walt's way. It's less about building a corporate behemoth than finding innovative and exciting ways to entertain families. That was Walt's focus, and the money followed.

Now Eisner's following the money and the families aren't coming along for the ride.

darthdarrel

Re: Re: funny

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
The only thing I say to people like you bashing Eisner is give him some credit for what he did in the beginning. He did some good things earlier in his reign. Only in the past 5-10 years has he really gone down in his job.

Bash him all you want, just give him the credit he deserves.

I have always given Eisner credit where credit is due. He was a god send in the beginning, Eisner along with his partner Frank Wells saved Disney from a fate worse then death. But When Wells was killed It all went down hill.

MouseRight

With all of these people leaving the Disney Board, here is my chance to be elected to it. Being a former ABC employee and Industry Expert (In my Own Mind), I belong on the Disney Board. Where do I send my application? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I may be in a minority here, but I think Eisner should stay. Some of the troubles lately have not been his fault, though some are clearly his. He is still the one with the vision. The Company particularly, ABC and the Theme Parks, is turning around as we speak - Attendence up, ratings up, and improved products/attractions are being added quickly, managment changes have been for the better in spite of what the Wall Street Journal and others are saying. One articile even used Paul Pressler's exit as an example of the Brain Drain being forced on the Company by Eisner. We all know how much we WDWMagic members love Paul PRessler - Not. That is the gist of my concern - Who can take over? Wall street woudl love a Pressler. Disney needs a Walt/Eisner/Wells combination. With teh possible exception of Bob Iger and maybe Steve Jobs, there is no one out there on anyone's radar screen who can take over this unique company.

My vote is to leave him in, ask him to come up with a revival plan, work on grooming a successor and let him finish the job and retire gracefuly. Oh yeah - The Board did just this last year and they approved his plan and it seems to be working, with some assists from the economy and the terrorists (e.g., no attacks in 2 years). Eisner should stay, Bob Iger should continue to be groomed for succession (Eisner has been quoted as saying that Bob may be the one), and the course should remain steady and slow.

GO EISNER and GO DISNEY:sohappy: :sohappy:

BigNorm

This is an atrocity. I never thought there would be a day when Roy wasn't apart of the Disney Company. I can't believe it came to this. I'm now personally calling for Michael Eisner's job. There are no more Disneys left in Uncle Walt's company. Where do we go from here?

P.S. Give Mike his due, but there's still something wrong about the way he's apparently muscled Roy out.

TURKEY

Originally posted by MouseRight
Seriously, I may be in a minority here, but I think Eisner should stay. Some of the troubles lately have not been his fault, though some are clearly his. He is still the one with the vision. The Company particularly, ABC and the Theme Parks, is turning around as we speak - Attendence up, ratings up, and improved products/attractions are being added quickly, managment changes have been for the better in spite of what the Wall Street Journal and others are saying. One articile even used Paul Pressler's exit as an example of the Brain Drain being forced on the Company by Eisner. We all know how much we WDWMagic members love Paul PRessler - Not. That is the gist of my concern - Who can take over? Wall street woudl love a Pressler. Disney needs a Walt/Eisner/Wells combination. With teh possible exception of Bob Iger and maybe Steve Jobs, there is no one out there on anyone's radar screen who can take over this unique company.

My vote is to leave him in, ask him to come up with a revival plan, work on grooming a successor and let him finish the job and retire gracefuly. Oh yeah - The Board did just this last year and they approved his plan and it seems to be working, with some assists from the economy and the terrorists (e.g., no attacks in 2 years). Eisner should stay, Bob Iger should continue to be groomed for succession (Eisner has been quoted as saying that Bob may be the one), and the course should remain steady and slow.

ABC was #1 when Disney bought it. It's dropped to #4. To finish worse than Fox is bad. Things shouldn't have to be improving like they have been. It shouldn't have gotten that worse.

Park attendance is getting better compared to 2001, but still isn't near the levels of 2000.

New products aren't coming out. Other than MS and Everest, look at what's being built. Spinners (Aladdin), Philarharmagic (another 3-d), fair rides (dinorama), stunt show and Soarin (copy), TOT at DCA (copy), etc. Roy is right. Rides/parks are being built cheaply. Instead of creating something new, rides are just being moved from park to park. Sure people like them, but nothing is unique.

Iger doesn't need to be the replacement. He's too close to the Eisner regime. Eisner likes him because he's left his imprint on him and I think that Iger will just continue to do many things like Eisner. I don't think he'll be looked upon favorably. Personally, I think Disney needs an outsider to come in.

The Board is pro-Eisner. That's easy to see. It's not going to be the board forcing him out, it's public opinion and stockholders. They decided they didn't want Roy around to keep voicing his opinion. They cite age requirements because of two others that are over 70 and want to leave. I think Roy was already over 70 last election.

Change is going to have to come soon. People are loosing and have left confidence in Eisner. Having Gold and Disney behind them really helps and more people will just continue to jump on board.

A decisive plan (when Eisner is leaving) and response to why things have happened and responses to Roy and Gold needs to be announced soon. I think the sooner the better.

MouseRight

Turkey Leg Boy - I am a "Glass Half Full Kind of Guy" Where you see negatives, I see positives.

Your quote - "ABC was #1 when Disney bought it. It's dropped to #4. To finish worse than Fox is bad. Things shouldn't have to be improving like they have been. It shouldn't have gotten that worse. " Actually in 1995 when Disney bought ABC it wasn't # 1. It went to # 1 a few years later and then slid back. The TV business is historically one of cycles. Since teh beginnig, teh Networks have been circulating into and outta # 1 every few years. One hit show (AKA Millionaire on ABC, Cosby on NBC, American Idol on Fox, etc.) ) provides buzz and promotional opportunity to showcase your other shows and sampling occurs. The sampling results in higher viewership and thus higher ratings. ABC is on the upswing and will continue to move up over teh next few years.

Your quote - "Park attendance is getting better compared to 2001, but still isn't near the levels of 2000."
What do you expect. Teh world to return to their pre 9/11 travel habits right away. WHile Parks' attendence has improved it is mostly made up of domestic travelers. The foreign travelers, particualry the Brazilians and other SOuth Americans have stayed away. There is no eveidence that they are staying away due to a poor product - fear is keeping them away.

Yoru quote - "New products aren't coming out. Other than MS and Everest, look at what's being built. Spinners (Aladdin), Philarharmagic (another 3-d), fair rides (dinorama), stunt show and Soarin (copy), TOT at DCA (copy), etc. Roy is right. Rides/parks are being built cheaply. Instead of creating something new, rides are just being moved from park to park. Sure people like them, but nothing is unique." That is a pretty big "except for" you have there. These 2 rides represent major innovations in technology and significant funds. What's the big deal in moving rides around the parks. I have never been to Disney land and will make a trip to WDW just to see Soarin when it opens. Creating new versions of the rides in each park has been a Disney tradition from the beginning (COP started out at teh 1964 World's Fair, moved to Disneyland and then to WDW, POTC is in each park). As long as they are expanding each park and improving teh content it is a win-win for all. I like the efforts being made and applaud Disney for recognizing the need as well as replacing the management that has messed it up (PRessler, etc)

Teh revolt is already being stymied by Board members and Wall St. Look at teh Yawn Wall Street gave the Roy Disney news today. Teh stock moved up 8 cents and teh analyst aren't even sure why.

I do agree with your suggestion that Disney may need new blood from outside, but finidng teh right person won't be easy. Disney is on teh road to a recovery. Let it continue and we will all be happy.

daoVinci

The problem with Eisner isn't REALLY whether he stays or goes.

Eisner DID do great things in the beginning yes, or rather, Eisner & Wells did. After Frank's death things started to slide more towards the money/business end rather than the family/creative end.

To me this suggests that Wells might actually have been the one with the vision, while Eisner had the busniess savvy to bring it to fruition...and it's the same model that grew the company in the beginning. Eisner played "Roy" to Well's "Walt."

Both parts are vital to Disney's future success. The problem now appears that Eisner doesn't see the need to strike such a balance. To company's focusing too much on the "Product" than the "Dream." Without the Dream, there's no Magic. And without the Magic, there's no Disney. We're just another movie studio with a theme park.

THAT is, in my eyes, is the problem. Without Vision, it's all about the money. And Eisner seems to be refusing to seek out someone with that much-needed vision.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by daoVinci
To company's focusing too much on the "Product" than the "Dream." Without the Dream, there's no Magic. And without the Magic, there's no Disney. We're just another movie studio with a theme park.

That is perhaps the statement that best sums up this news and my opinion of the muppets that currently run Disney.
Its very easy to become obsessed with the bottom line and loose sight of your original goals.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Eisner (and Wells) saved Disney in the 80's, I don't think there's any debate about that. The decline started after Wells' death in 94. There's no doubt that, without those two, we wouldn't be discussing any of this today.

With that said, here are examples of why Eisner has lost the "Magic" and should remove himself from his leadership role at Disney - Hunchback II, Pocahontas II, Lion King II, Cinderella II (!!!!). Cookie cutter rides (I don't like all the rides going to each park, it gives more reason to visit them!), loss of key creative and managerial talent. There's still no new deal with Pixar, and it's been rumored that Steve Jobs won't even talk with Eisner.

Eisner did do some great things in his first 10 years at the helm, but the last 7-8 years have shown that it's time for new blood at the top.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by HauntedPirate
Eisner (and Wells) saved Disney in the 80's, I don't think there's any debate about that. The decline started after Wells' death in 94. There's no doubt that, without those two, we wouldn't be discussing any of this today.

With that said, here are examples of why Eisner has lost the "Magic" and should remove himself from his leadership role at Disney - Hunchback II, Pocahontas II, Lion King II, Cinderella II (!!!!). Cookie cutter rides (I don't like all the rides going to each park, it gives more reason to visit them!), loss of key creative and managerial talent. There's still no new deal with Pixar, and it's been rumored that Steve Jobs won't even talk with Eisner.

Eisner did do some great things in his first 10 years at the helm, but the last 7-8 years have shown that it's time for new blood at the top.

Disney's lack of vision with Pixar comes with the original contract. There is nothing anyone at the Disney company will be able to pull off now that would make a deal with Pixar as lucrative as the initial. Pixar took the risk and reached payday. Disney took the conservative approach and reached the end of a contract instead of taking a chance and rewriting the way animation is done internally. Walt was always looking for new ways to do things and better ways to tell stories. I don't think he would have found himself behind the eight-ball on digital animation.

The reality is Steve Jobs is a fairly visionary businessman who happens to possess enough of the qualities that took two people at Disney (walt and roy, eisner and wells) to be a formidable opponent or a trusted friend and partner.

MouseRight

Originally posted by daoVinci
The problem with Eisner isn't REALLY whether he stays or goes.

Eisner DID do great things in the beginning yes, or rather, Eisner & Wells did. After Frank's death things started to slide more towards the money/business end rather than the family/creative end.

To me this suggests that Wells might actually have been the one with the vision, while Eisner had the busniess savvy to bring it to fruition...and it's the same model that grew the company in the beginning. Eisner played "Roy" to Well's "Walt." .........THAT is, in my eyes, is the problem. Without Vision, it's all about the money. And Eisner seems to be refusing to seek out someone with that much-needed vision.

I agree with your assesement but I belive you have the characters reversed. Based on my reading of many books and artilces about the Walt Disney Company - Wells was the "Roy" to Eisner's "Walt". In the early days (and it sounds like he is still doing it) Eisner was involoved in every creative decision and facilitated sessions with team members to come up with the ideas. Eisner was in on everything of what Disney created duirng the good years after his reign began. He gets the creative credit as well as teh crdit for bringing in peole like Katzenberg and others who brought their own vision and carried the both to completeion.

niteobsvr quote - "Disney's lack of vision with Pixar comes with the original contract. There is nothing anyone at the Disney company will be able to pull off now that would make a deal with Pixar as lucrative as the initial. Pixar took the risk and reached payday. Disney took the conservative approach and reached the end of a contract instead of taking a chance and rewriting the way animation is done internally. Walt was always looking for new ways to do things and better ways to tell stories. I don't think he would have found himself behind the eight-ball on digital animation."

I disagree. Disney took tremendous risk with Pixar. Without Disney's support, distribution, marketing, and animation knowhow, Pixar woudl not have been successful. Also, Disney got into teh new technology without having to support it itself. It was a good deal for both. Now we are in teh classic situation where the one partner who put up the dough now has to live with teh fact that the other partner wants more of his efforts. Look at Baseball PLayers, as soon as they get teh good stats and successful years they become more valuable and want more to stay. Same situation with Pixar. Disney has taken steps to protect themselves if they don't make a new deal with Pixar and are preapred and beginning CG Animation on their own. Look at all of the groaning on these boards when they announced that Florida ANimation may not reopen. PIXAR does not have the market locked up (Shreck, Ice Age, etc). IF they can't make a good deal for Pixar they should let it go.

Vision is needed as well as the people to carry out that vision. I agree that Disney may be a little short of both right now, but they have a plan, it apears to be working and should be given time to work. At the end next year, if the ship has not turned around then they should find a new Walt/Roy or Eisner/Wells

MouseRight

Reuters
Disney investors unlikely to push to oust Eisner
Tuesday December 2, 1:50 pm ET
By Martha Graybow

NEW YORK, Dec 2 (Reuters) - Several large shareholders of Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS - News) on Tuesday said they do not plan to join a push to oust Chief Executive Michael Eisner, in part because of recent gains in the stock and optimism about the company's prospects.....................

Go to this link for the entire article.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031202/media_disney_investors_1.html

Michael72688

In a way I think it would be good for him to, I mean he's been the CEO for 19 years, but on the other hand the company would be very unstable, even more so than it already is and they dont need that

MouseRight

Press Release Source: Walt Disney Studios

The Walt Disney Studios Makes Industry History By Becoming First Company To Surpass $3 Billion in Global Box Office Receipts in A Single Year
Wednesday December 3, 3:32 pm ET

Here is the link:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031203/law094_1.html

That's a lot of Disney Dollars!! It has been a series of announcments and real business results like this, that has helped to push up Disney's stock price and reputation on Wall Street over the last several months. These are real gains the Company is making that are now being ignored due to the Roy/Eisner wrestling match. While some may argue that the fight will provide a stronger Disney in the future, if this goes on too long it will take much longer for it to recover. My hope is that this entire affair is resolved quickly (whoever wins) so that the Walt Disney Company can move on to do what it is suppossed to -Entertain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom