Roundabouts at Disney

Jedi Stitch

"Look Kids Big Ben...Parliament"

DisneyDids

Because you're mixing traffic from six roads...
View attachment 421557
I work in Swindon and, once you understand how to negotiate it, the majority of locals love the Magic Roundabout because, as crazy as it looks, it just works. It also means that you do slow down and keep your wits about you in case you meet people coming round it the wrong way (although in some parts of it you’re allowed to do that so I understand why it can be confusing). Maybe that’s why the fire station is located next to it although far fewer accidents happen on it than you’d expect.

Last edited:

drizgirl

I work in Swindon and, once you understand how to negotiate it, the majority of locals love the Magic Roundabout because, as crazy as it looks, it just works. It also means that you do slow down and keep your wits about you in case you meet people coming round it the wrong way (although in some parts of it you’re allowed to do that so I understand why it can be confusing). Maybe that’s why the fire station is located next to it although far fewer accidents happen on it than you’d expect.
I'm curious. Who "shows" you how negotiate it?

DisneyDids

I'm curious. Who "shows" you how negotiate it?
If you’re local, you travel across it as a passenger when growing up so learn how to negotiate it that way. And again if you’re local, driving instructors tend to include it as part of their driving lessons. For non-locals, it’s a case of reading the signposts on approach then going for it! It’s actually quite logical in reality so if you’re used to negotiating roundabouts (which all Brits are), most people seem to manage - somehow! Although there are some people who will plot a route specifically to avoid it!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
If you’re local, you travel across it as a passenger when growing up so learn how to negotiate it that way. And again if you’re local, driving instructors tend to include it as part of their driving lessons. For non-locals, it’s a case of reading the signposts on approach then going for it! It’s actually quite logical in reality so if you’re used to negotiating roundabouts (which all Brits are), most people seem to manage - somehow! Although there are some people who will plot a route specifically to avoid it!

You mean we have to look up from our phones? That's not. going. to. happen.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's actually pretty elegant, and (not having driven it) appears to work based on how many roads you're skipping, and whether or not you want to get to the inner circle.

Heppenheimer

One of the things I love about driving in Europe is that unless you're looking for an individual house, all you really need to find something is to know the general direction you need to travel, then stay on the priority roads and follow the signs. I found step-by-step navigation directions from a GPS often made things more complicated than just following the simple road signs.

Last edited:

DisneyDids

You mean we have to look up from our phones? That's not. going. to. happen.
Don’t know whether it’s the same state-side but on this side of the pond, there’s a £200 fine plus you can be given 6 penalty points (you lose your licence when you get to 12 penalty points) if you’re caught using a hand-held phone while driving. And if you passed your test within 2 years of being caught, you can lose your licence immediately.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Don’t know whether it’s the same state-side but on this side of the pond, there’s a £200 fine plus you can be given 6 penalty points (you lose your licence when you get to 12 penalty points) if you’re caught using a hand-held phone while driving. And if you passed your test within 2 years of being caught, you can lose your licence immediately.
The laws vary by state...it sometimes even varies by county, but I don't know of a single one that carries anywhere near that much of a penalty.

Stripes

Last time we went to WDW, we noticed all the complete Stops busses had to make at lights on roads and stop signs throughout the resorts. Of course, buses made complete stops at every stop sign, which they should.

I wondered why Disney hasn’t considered roundabouts on property to keep traffic moving and reduce emissions from all the stopping and going. Any thoughts or opinions on this? Modern roundabouts are becoming more popular in the states.

Joe
My little town is full of them now.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

It just became a primary offense here in Florida, but that didn't deter anyone. It's not uncommon to see people drive into a curb, look up to correct, then back down at their lap. The real solution is to eliminate curbs and replace them with 90 degree drop offs. :joyfull:

Phonedave

The laws vary by state...it sometimes even varies by county, but I don't know of a single one that carries anywhere near that much of a penalty.

New Jersey

New Jersey’s cellphone and texting laws are considered “primary” laws which means that an officer can pull you over for the offense without having to witness any other violation. The penalties for using a cell phone and driving in the first offense include a fine of $200-$400. The second offense fine increases to $400-$600. The third (or subsequent) offense includes a fine of $600-$800, three motor vehicle points on your license and a possible 90-day license suspension. These fines do not include any court costs that may be incurred.

6 or more points in 3 years gets you a surcharge, 12 points gets you a license suspension.

Not quite as heavy, but still heavy. The law also applies if you are operating a motor vehicle. While I am not sure what exactly that means, I do knwo that if you are sitting at a stop light, that is still operating. I would assume that if you were in a parking space with the engine running and the car in park you would be OK.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
New Jersey

New Jersey’s cellphone and texting laws are considered “primary” laws which means that an officer can pull you over for the offense without having to witness any other violation. The penalties for using a cell phone and driving in the first offense include a fine of $200-$400. The second offense fine increases to $400-$600. The third (or subsequent) offense includes a fine of $600-$800, three motor vehicle points on your license and a possible 90-day license suspension. These fines do not include any court costs that may be incurred.

6 or more points in 3 years gets you a surcharge, 12 points gets you a license suspension.

Not quite as heavy, but still heavy. The law also applies if you are operating a motor vehicle. While I am not sure what exactly that means, I do knwo that if you are sitting at a stop light, that is still operating. I would assume that if you were in a parking space with the engine running and the car in park you would be OK.
It is also Jersey where everything seems to cost 5 times as much as any other state. ;)

Florida's new texting and driving law carry the following penalties.

The first offense is a non-moving traffic violation (no points) and a $30 fine.
The second and subsequent offenses within 5 years is a moving violation (3 points) and a $60 fine.
Depending on the county, court fees will range from $0-$200 +/- for each offense.

Bpmorley

Last time we went to WDW, we noticed all the complete Stops busses had to make at lights on roads and stop signs throughout the resorts. Of course, buses made complete stops at every stop sign, which they should.

I wondered why Disney hasn’t considered roundabouts on property to keep traffic moving and reduce emissions from all the stopping and going. Any thoughts or opinions on this? Modern roundabouts are becoming more popular in the states.

Joe
Personally I don't think many people know how to handle a busy roundabout. Recipe for disaster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom