RotR: Disney is still not at Universal's level

The Pho

Saying it isn't on Universal's level though when this attraction has very clearly raised the bar for the industry several notches higher is odd. If we're basing this on just thrills, well, yes, Universal is more thrill focused than WDW, but Universal having a couple of very intense thrill rides offsets this perception a bit. A greater percentage of Universal's rides are thrill focused, but more of them are in the range of WDW's thrill rides' thrill level than aren't.
Really it’s just a really strange argument considering that Universal really isn’t even Orlando’s biggest thrill park, nevermind central Florida’s. It’s a resort with 2 high thrill rides. It’s not the place to go for raw thrill just as much as Disney.

Hank Hill

I haven't seen any of the films, but gotta lovee some party Bus .
I just tried it for the first time last week. Waiting for the bus a guy asked my son if he'd ever been on it, he said no, and the guy said "it's a pretty neat experience", so that guy is probably the closest I would think to someone thinking it is the greatest ride ever.

With no wait, I had a blast, I wasn't expecting much, but wow. It was on the so bad it's good level though, I was screaming and yelling for the characters to look out for things. Just being silly can make it a fun experience, but if I had to wait long for it, I would have been ed they even made that ride.

OG Runner

People obviously don’t see a GREAT ride when they see one

If you honestly mean that, I can only assume you were either intoxicated or high when you rode it.
I like a lot of the rides at Universal. I still list Forbidden Journey as my favorite in the Orlando area.
(Sorry not a huge roller coaster fan) Fast and Furious, however, fails on many levels and is a definite
missed opportunity, which makes it even worse.

OSX

If you honestly mean that, I can only assume you were either intoxicated or high when you rode it.
I like a lot of the rides at Universal. I still list Forbidden Journey as my favorite in the Orlando area.
(Sorry not a huge roller coaster fan) Fast and Furious, however, fails on many levels and is a definite
missed opportunity, which makes it even worse.
7B5D721A-035B-4D72-A661-C8B5C1DE4242.jpeg

wdizneew

I guess a more specific gripe is that RotR's vehicles (outside of the drop part) don't really interact with the action in the ride. You're just an outside observer, watching what's going on. In Universal rides such as Spider-Man, Kong, Transformers etc the action interacts with the vehicles. The vehicle actually reacts to characters pushing it, stomping onto it, explosions, etc. You really feel the urgency of being part of the action. That is not the case with RotR where you basically go from room to room to watch as an outsider.

The reactive parts to the ride movement are based on the droid unit "driving" you around:
*spoilers*

communicating with the other prison transports
driving/turning to avoid storm trooper fire
navigating the star destroyer hallways
droid screaming when kylo's saber penetrates ceiling
moving forward/pausing to pass the firing cannons

The most reactive part:
*spoilers*

is when Kylo uses the "force" to pull the 2 vehicles toward him right before the ship blows open/ceiling collapse

The vehicle movements need more abrupt movements to add to the thrill imo.

Btw I'm excluding the escape pod since that is a whole separate system from the trackless ride vehicles.

RobWDW1971

Spiderman was a decent ride, but I still prefer RotR, Indiana Jones Adventure, and TOT over it in terms of Darkride with a thrill. I think you are stuck on physical thrills and ignoring other types of thrills. RotR has plenty of thrills. Being captured by an army of Stormtroopers, attacked and pursued by Kylo Ren (one of my favourite villians)....

I was with you until that parentheses and couldn’t read anything further. ;)

mergatroid

I know it's just his opinion, but for what it's worth Tim Tracker says it's "The best ride he's ridden in his entire life" and that he "wants to ride it again and again and again". Whilst some will say he gets too many 'freebies' from both Universal and Disney to make his judgement fair, he was blown away by ROTR. Watching his reaction, you know that it's genuine. I've never seen him as excited about anything before, he actually struggles to express himself in words. This from a guy that loves Universal and nearly all they offer, he rode ROTR 5 times and still cannot believe how incredible it is.

Mickeyboof

I know it's just his opinion, but for what it's worth Tim Tracker says it's "The best ride he's ridden in his entire life" and that he "wants to ride it again and again and again". Whilst some will say he gets too many 'freebies' from both Universal and Disney to make his judgement fair, he was blown away by ROTR. Watching his reaction, you know that it's genuine. I've never seen him as excited about anything before, he actually struggles to express himself in words. This from a guy that loves Universal and nearly all they offer, he rode ROTR 5 times and still cannot believe how incredible it is.

Sorry, you said it. He gets #hosted way too often. Absolutely no one should take his opinions or reviews seriously.

Especially after riding, he gets to experience things NO PAYING GUEST will get to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom