RotR: Disney is still not at Universal's level

Joesixtoe

I'd love that, my wife wouldn't. The thing is I believe Disney didn't want too make such a fantastic ride but then restrict those who could ride it based on there being a big drop at the end. If it's big drops people want, there's a ride a 5 minute walk away that was built specifically for that purpose. They've created a family ride with excitement, but not too much that it puts people off riding it. You only have to look on this board to see there's people who don't want 'white knuckle' rides and I believe a ride this good shouldn't have any part to it that stops a chunk of guests refusing to ride it.

Some may agree, some won't but I personally feel a ride of this magnitude shouldn't contain parts that stop a large number of guests riding it. I don't believe that Disney have ever advertised it in a way that made people think or expect a ''white knuckle' aspect, it's a shame if people guessed it would be but there you go I suppose. For those who want that then go on TOT or RNR, leave the best ride in the park for everyone to ride I say.
I get it and I think your right for the most part. However your example of ToT is contradictory. ToT is a ride that is(especially for its time) fully immersive, in part the icon of the park, and a ride everyone would want to go on. Same as FoP not everyone can handle that ride, and yet its touted as the best ride in the parks by many. Again for the most part I do agree, i guess I just hope GE gets something a bit more thrill wise at some point.

mergatroid

I get it and I think your right for the most part. However your example of ToT is contradictory. ToT is a ride that is(especially for its time) fully immersive, in part the icon of the park, and a ride everyone would want to go on. Same as FoP not everyone can handle that ride, and yet its touted as the best ride in the parks by many. Again for the most part I do agree, i guess I just hope GE gets something a bit more thrill wise at some point.

Possibly but with TOT, what you see is what you get. Even it's name gives it away and you clearly see the drop before riding. I believe a lot will want to ride Rise purely because of the connection with Star Wars, however I don't think Tower's connection with 'The Twilight Zone' will have the same pull?

Again though, that's just my view on it.

Stripes

Where's the visceral thrill in those Uni rides?
Honestly, I like thrill rides - and so does my family - but the only thrills we found at Uni were on Mummy and the rollercoaster.
Spiderman, Hagrids, Gringotts, all promised thrill but didn't deliver.
Truly, does anyone get “thrills” from motion simulators? Whether it be Star Tours, Indiana Jones Adventure, Spider-Man, Transformers, etc.

They jerk you around, yeah, but I don’t get any thrills from the ride systems. I haven’t ridden RotR yet, but I’ll probably get more thrill out of the short drop in RotR than all 4 of those rides combined. Hell, I get more thrill out of Pirates. When it comes to merging thrills with a dark ride, there’s nothing that comes close to Tower of Terror.

Joesixtoe

Possibly but with TOT, what you see is what you get. Even it's name gives it away and you clearly see the drop before riding. I believe a lot will want to ride Rise purely because of the connection with Star Wars, however I don't think Tower's connection with 'The Twilight Zone' will have the same pull?

Again though, that's just my view on it.
Lol very true twilight zone does not have the appeal as star wars. However the hotel itself is a major draw. This massive hotel building that is an attraction is a major pull. But honestly you've made me rethink this, star wars is so major that everyone should be able to enjoy a ride like this

mergatroid

Lol very true twilight zone does not have the appeal as star wars. However the hotel itself is a major draw. This massive hotel building that is an attraction is a major pull. But honestly you've made me rethink this, star wars is so major that everyone should be able to enjoy a ride like this

If only I could work like this on my wife :D

JusticeDisney

Truly, does anyone get “thrills” from motion simulators? Whether it be Star Tours, Indiana Jones Adventure, Spider-Man, Transformers, etc.

They jerk you around, yeah, but I don’t get any thrills from the ride systems. I haven’t ridden RotR yet, but I’ll probably get more thrill out of the short drop in RotR than all 4 of those rides combined. Hell, I get more thrill out of Pirates. When it comes to merging thrills with a dark ride, there’s nothing that comes close to Tower of Terror.
I get your point, but FOP gives me tons of thrills. Best simulator ride ever done, in my opinion.

RobWDW1971

They can certainly make a themed ride to Star Wars that has more pep than a screen sim or a trackless dark ride. They’ve gotten fairly lazy on this front...it will have to change.
Uh, Star Tours proved that 33 years ago not to mention the quick and cheap Hyperspace Mountain overlay gives you a sense of what an exciting Star Wars attraction could be.

TrojanUSC

I just think having a bigger drop and a bit more action while coming back to the surface allows the rider to have that thrill to look forward too at the end. Imagine having the best ride through dark ride as it is now, and then knowing at the end of this awesome experience is a thrill worth the warning signs posted throughout the attraction. I've ridden it, it's an awesome ride, but imo definitely lacks the ending.

Once the drop happens and it switches to normal simulator, it's kind of a letdown from there. Everything preceding it is great though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Uh, Star Tours proved that 33 years ago not to mention the quick and cheap Hyperspace Mountain overlay gives you a sense of what an exciting Star Wars attraction could be.
Star tours is exactly what I’m talking about: a silly simulator trying to “trick” yourself into fun.

Fine for 1988...but that was 30 years ago...

tomast

You act as if nobody could genuinely prefer FP over EP, which is just ridiculous. Personally, I think the EP system is far superior, but I also understand that it is a subjective thing and the fact that someone else might happen to prefer the FP system doesn’t necessarily mean they have a bias.
FP+ is free that makes it better than EP.

RobWDW1971

Star tours is exactly what I’m talking about: a silly simulator trying to “trick” yourself into fun.

Fine for 1988...but that was 30 years ago...

And yet 30 years later they can’t make a ride as fun and exciting and true to the brand as that - what a sad statement about the state of WDI today.

Star Tours was a celebration of the entire Star Wars universe and an exciting adventure to fly with an X wing squadron to blow up the Death Star while MFSR is a boring errand in the dark to pick up some cans. I guess that’s progress....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And yet 30 years later they can’t make a ride as fun and exciting and true to the brand as that - what a sad statement about the state of WDI today.

Star Tours was a celebration of the entire Star Wars universe and an exciting adventure to fly with an X wing squadron to blow up the Death Star while MFSR is a boring errand in the dark to pick up some cans. I guess that’s progress....
That ride isn’t “fun and exciting”...

But like all things Disney - it’s “good enough” for customers so there’s no need to raise the bar then, huh?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All I can say is, on one of our trips we went to Universal for a day. Did Spiderman and it was ok. I could not wait to get back to our resort in WDW. I just like the theming and the feeling I get better.
I think that’s fair and is a common refrain.

The feel of wdw is always what has drawn the repeat Visits...it ain’t Peter Pan 🤪

But what I point out is that “feel” was constructed by past leadership....the last 15 years has not added a ton of ancillary feel outside the parks.

Really bland dvcs has been the “pattern” of late

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
FP+ is free that makes it better than EP.

EP is also free if you stay at certain on-site resorts or have a premium tier annual pass. FP+ is intentionally castrated by Disney into a flawed tier system that works against the guest experience rather than enhancing it. It's also incredibly limited to same-day ticket buyers as they cannot plan their rides in advance whereas if someone purchases EP at UO they don't need to plan, they can simply walk into the express queue of any ride that offers it all day long.

No, FP+ is absolutely not better than EP in. any. way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
EP is also free if you stay at certain on-site resorts or have a premium tier annual pass. FP+ is intentionally castrated by Disney into a flawed tier system that works against the guest experience rather than enhancing it. It's also incredibly limited to same-day ticket buyers as they cannot plan their rides in advance whereas if someone purchases EP at UO they don't need to plan, they can simply walk into the express queue of any ride that offers it all day long.

No, FP+ is absolutely not better than EP in. any. way.
For me...fast pass - especially the prebooking - is still effective but deeply flawed. A lot of “cons” on this as it has evolved beyond its basic, simple concept.

What will be a huge impact to its effectiveness will be monetization. That changes the entire usefulness of it.

Incomudro

I get thrills from Star Tours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom