RotR: Disney is still not at Universal's level

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You think Disney can just go on to some website, purchase an $80,000 ride vehicle, and they have their attraction? I was talking about the interaction part, the vehicle actually syncing/interacting/reacting with the action on the screen or other surroundings, ala Spider-Man. That takes an incredible amount of special ingenuity and time and money that you can't just simply purchase from a vendor. I know all about Scott Towbridge, and maybe I used the wrong words. Maybe they do "know how" to do it, but they're choosing not to. Because they haven't. At least yet.
Because dipsticks like Joe Rohde spend a FORTUNE in design and development...doesn’t automatically mean the ride experience is “superior”.

This is a really big problem with modern imagineering...

Because they spend 5 years and $200,000,000 tinkering with a ride...does NOT mean it doesn’t produce a mundane ride. The means doesn’t automatically justify the ends.

It Is What It Is

Because dipsticks like Joe Rohde spend a FORTUNE in design and development...doesn’t automatically mean the ride experience is “superior”.

This is a really big problem with modern imagineering...

Because they spend 5 years and $200,000,000 tinkering with a ride...does NOT mean it doesn’t produce a mundane ride. The means doesn’t automatically justify the ends.
Sir Walter, first, Merry Christmas!

I'm asking this out of curiosity to understand your preferences: what ride systems in the last 25 years or so have you liked?

I won't get to ride RotR until March, but the ride thru videos have gotten my excitement up. You? And speaking of Joe, I thought Flight of Passage was excellent as was Pandora. Just takes me a minute or two to get past the earring.

JusticeDisney

At least Univeral’s screen attractions are flamboyant and generally exciting.

I prefer that over the abundance of lifeless screens at Walt Disney World. No, I don’t want to watch a circle vision movie or film festival or boat ride where nothing happens but cartoon Donald flying through stock footage of Mexico, or feel bugs crawling under my ***.

No thanks. Universal may have lots of screens, but they use them quite effectively.
Flight of Passage says hello.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sir Walter, first, Merry Christmas!

I'm asking this out of curiosity to understand your preferences: what ride systems in the last 25 years or so have you liked?

I won't get to ride RotR until March, but the ride thru videos have gotten my excitement up. You? And speaking of Joe, I thought Flight of Passage was excellent as was Pandora. Just takes me a minute or two to get past the earring.
Joyeux Noel...

I would say that flight of passage is a stellar, benchmark ride system. But we know that Cameron is a stickler for his stuff and that puts huge weight behind that one.

RSR is a nice enhancement on test track....

There are good things in Tokyo and China...

Stateside? You have to go all the way back to tower in mgm to really innovate based on the integration of the ride system/story.

Everest is a fail...decent ride but it is an imagineering failure.

But I don’t expect shocking, breathtaking new systems each time.

I’m ok with rockin roller coaster...or even midway...things that expand upon traditional things to make it more Disney unique. That can and should be done more cost effectively as well.

I need more than mine train...or slinky dog...however. Those are basically junior rides with a bit of theming. $20,000,000 rides with an $80,000,000 bill.

It Is What It Is

Joyeux Noel...

I would say that flight of passage is a stellar, benchmark ride system. But we know that Cameron is a stickler for his stuff and that puts huge weight behind that one.

RSR is a nice enhancement on test track....

There are good things in Tokyo and China...

Stateside? You have to go all the way back to tower in mgm to really innovate based on the integration of the ride system/story.

Everest is a fail...decent ride but it is an imagineering failure.

But I don’t expect shocking, breathtaking new systems each time.

I’m ok with rockin roller coaster...or even midway...things that expand upon traditional things to make it more Disney unique. That can and should be done more cost effectively as well.

I need more than mine train...or slinky dog...however. Those are basically junior rides with a bit of theming. $20,000,000 rides with an $80,000,000 bill.
Sir Walter, I'm in complete agreement with you on those rides. Your revelation to me is that I had no idea that much was spent on the last two you mentioned, does seem excessive.

Be well, thanks for the banter!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sir Walter, I'm in complete agreement with you on those rides. Your revelation to me is that I had no idea that much was spent on the last two you mentioned, does seem excessive.

Be well, thanks for the banter!
To be clear: I have NO idea what they claimed or actually spent on those rides...

Many around here talk of “budgets” and “costs”...but it really is a shell game except to those that don’t leak information here...unless it’s “with purpose”

We do know to a fairly high level of certainty that Disney inflates their budgets to look like they have bigger pants than they are willing to invest...and STILL WDI crushes the budgets more often than not.

It’s insane.

What the imagineering story and here Rohde act like he cares about budgets...as the video rolls of him blowing budgets on company paid trips.

Pathetic.

WDI has cost us rides over the years blowing budgets. No doubt we’d have more in several parks if they didn’t

mergatroid

...so nothing, huh? 🤫

You seem confused by this. Somebody makes a thread saying that a new ride at Disney that has fantastic reviews doesn't have the thrills of Spiderman in their opinion. It's as though you think Disney actually had the intention of making a ride as fast or as jerky as Spiderman to thow people around, but just didn't have the skill or technology to do so? It's like you're inventing a way of comparing the two attractions in a way that makes one better than the other in a way they're not trying to even compete in? I mean it's like me saying "There's more animatronics in It's a Small World than there is Spiderman, therefore It's a Small World is the superior attraction".

If it makes you or the OP happy thinking these type of comparisons makes Spiderman the better ride, then good for you dude. If you then feel posting those thoughts online somehow reinforces that belief then even better for you, I'm happy for you both. You then demand I post 'something' in relation to this opinion, kind of reeks of desperation on your part like you don't truly believe Spiderman is really the better ride? I'm not sure what to tell you other than be happy that Spiderman is better in your opinion.

Again all I can say is, this thread :D :D

Bless

Last edited:

Pluto008

C'mon all what thrill ride does uni have that matches it's a small world or journey into imagination or many other thrill rides Disney has

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This thread :D

Bless.
You seem confused by this. Somebody makes a thread saying that a new ride at Disney that has fantastic reviews doesn't have the thrills of Spiderman in their opinion. It's as though you think Disney actually had the intention of making a ride as fast or as jerky as Spiderman to thow people around, but just didn't have the skill or technology to do so? It's like you're inventing a way of comparing the two attractions in a way that makes one better than the other in a way they're not trying to even compete in? I mean it's like me saying "There's more animatronics in It's a Small World than there is Spiderman, therefore It's a Small World is the superior attraction".

If it makes you or the OP happy thinking these type of comparisons makes Spiderman the better ride, then good for you dude. If you then feel posting those thoughts online somehow reinforces that belief then even better for you, I'm happy for you both. You then demand I post 'something' in relation to this opinion, kind of reeks of desperation on your part like you don't truly believe Spiderman is really the better ride? I'm not sure what to tell you other than be happy that Spiderman is better in your opinion.

Again all I can say is, this thread :D :D

Bless
You know what...I apologize...I must have misinterpreted you...

Because I’m pretty sure this was an objective, opinion based discussion comparing the ride systems or two competitors...

And when I saw your first entry...I must have completely mistaken that for empty, pointless patronizing nonsense that boils down to the same, sorry “i love Disney...therefore it’s the best” nonsense.

And then I must be misinterpreting the second post...where you explain how everyone is wrong questioning Disney because you broke down their corporate psyche out ya butt...therefore they’re of course right. Undefeated champions.

Again...I apologize.

But not for NEVER bringing up Spider-Man...or any other ride at a universal park. But actually talking about Disney’s rides, decisions, and the need to diversify and augment to grow and maintain interest.

Thanks for playing, though...truly

mergatroid

You know what...I apologize...I must have misinterpreted you...

Because I’m pretty sure this was an objective, opinion based discussion comparing the ride systems or two competitors...

And when I saw your first entry...I must have completely mistaken that for empty, pointless patronizing nonsense that boils down to the same, sorry “i love Disney...therefore it’s the best” nonsense.

And then I must be misinterpreting the second post...where you explain how everyone is wrong questioning Disney because you broke down their corporate psyche out ya butt...therefore they’re of course right. Undefeated champions.

Again...I apologize.

But not for NEVER bringing up Spider-Man...or any other ride at a universal park. But actually talking about Disney’s rides, decisions, and the need to diversify and augment to grow and maintain interest.

Thanks for playing, though...truly

Bless :D

mergatroid

I've ridden RotR twice now, and while I truly loved the overall experience and level of immersion, I feel like it's missing something very important- THRILLS. I'm sorry but this ride is lacking "juice" in the movement of the ride vehicles. It's just too tame and overall not very thrilling. If the ride vehicles had some of the quicker acceleration and urgency of, say, Indy at DL or Spiderman at IOA, or the multi-direction movement of FJ, it would have locked itself up as the greatest ride ever created. Instead, Disney simply made a relatively slow-moving trackless dark ride ala Mystic Manor or Hunny Hunt with Star Wars theming and special effects. I still think the overall experience is outstanding, but it's just not all that thrilling.

I realize Disney's goal was to make it kid friendly and be inclusive of guests of all ages, but then why put the drop near the end of the ride? That one drop required them to put warning signs all over the ride about sudden drops and everything. If they're going to make one tiny thrilling spot, why not just make the whole ride thrilling?

I think it's remarkable that Universal has had their Spider-Man ride for 20 years now, and Disney's still can't create anything to top it. And they're not even close to FJ.

Note: I still think RotR ranks as one of the very best, but that's entirely due to the overall magnitude of the attraction and storyline as well as the obviously great theming and special effects.

Some fair points if you're talking 'thrills'. However unless both companies were going for the same result when building Spiderman and ROTR, it seems a strange comparison. Spiderman's intention was to make you feel you were being wildly thrown around by it's actions, a hold onto your hats kind of ride. ROTR is more to create an environment where you're getting to experience the sights of a Star Destroyer with a milder 'thrilling' aspect. Disney has always seemed less about 'white knuckle' rides than Universal has.

I also think that Disney with ROTR has invested so much time, money and effort into the scenery, that spinning you around so fast that you can't appreciate it would be counter productive. Spiderman not so much as you can see that the 'set' isn't as immersive with things not very well hidden, though it's a brilliant ride in itself but in different ways. Glad you love both (just as I do), just seems a strange comparison to me?

mj2v

Having spent a bunch of time at both, sure, for more “thrill” type rides, UO has it.

I haven’t made much effort to go to UO even when I had free admission, other than HHN. Busch Gardens has the best thrill rides of the I4 parks.

I’ll still take Rise any day.

Joesixtoe

Some fair points if you're talking 'thrills'. However unless both companies were going for the same result when building Spiderman and ROTR, it seems a strange comparison. Spiderman's intention was to make you feel you were being wildly thrown around by it's actions, a hold onto your hats kind of ride. ROTR is more to create an environment where you're getting to experience the sights of a Star Destroyer with a milder 'thrilling' aspect. Disney has always seemed less about 'white knuckle' rides than Universal has.

I also think that Disney with ROTR has invested so much time, money and effort into the scenery, that spinning you around so fast that you can't appreciate it would be counter productive. Spiderman not so much as you can see that the 'set' isn't as immersive with things not very well hidden, though it's a brilliant ride in itself but in different ways. Glad you love both (just as I do), just seems a strange comparison to me?
I just think having a bigger drop and a bit more action while coming back to the surface allows the rider to have that thrill to look forward too at the end. Imagine having the best ride through dark ride as it is now, and then knowing at the end of this awesome experience is a thrill worth the warning signs posted throughout the attraction. I've ridden it, it's an awesome ride, but imo definitely lacks the ending.

mergatroid

I just think having a bigger drop and a bit more action while coming back to the surface allows the rider to have that thrill to look forward too at the end. Imagine having the best ride through dark ride as it is now, and then knowing at the end of this awesome experience is a thrill worth the warning signs posted throughout the attraction. I've ridden it, it's an awesome ride, but imo definitely lacks the ending.

I'd love that, my wife wouldn't. The thing is I believe Disney didn't want too make such a fantastic ride but then restrict those who could ride it based on there being a big drop at the end. If it's big drops people want, there's a ride a 5 minute walk away that was built specifically for that purpose. They've created a family ride with excitement, but not too much that it puts people off riding it. You only have to look on this board to see there's people who don't want 'white knuckle' rides and I believe a ride this good shouldn't have any part to it that stops a chunk of guests refusing to ride it.

Some may agree, some won't but I personally feel a ride of this magnitude shouldn't contain parts that stop a large number of guests riding it. I don't believe that Disney have ever advertised it in a way that made people think or expect a ''white knuckle' aspect, it's a shame if people guessed it would be but there you go I suppose. For those who want that then go on TOT or RNR, leave the best ride in the park for everyone to ride I say.

DisAl

I'd love that, my wife wouldn't. The thing is I believe Disney didn't want too make such a fantastic ride but then restrict those who could ride it based on there being a big drop at the end. If it's big drops people want, there's a ride a 5 minute walk away that was built specifically for that purpose. They've created a family ride with excitement, but not too much that it puts people off riding it. You only have to look on this board to see there's people who don't want 'white knuckle' rides and I believe a ride this good shouldn't have any part to it that stops a chunk of guests refusing to ride it.

Some may agree, some won't but I personally feel a ride of this magnitude shouldn't contain parts that stop a large number of guests riding it. I don't believe that Disney have ever advertised it in a way that made people think or expect a ''white knuckle' aspect, it's a shame if people guessed it would be but there you go I suppose. For those who want that then go on TOT or RNR, leave the best ride in the park for everyone to ride I say.
I agree with you 100%. I wish they had a "chicken ride" choice at ToT. Maybe one of every twenty cars would just go gently to the bottom and let you off. I would bet they would have enough people who wanted that option that it would be worth while. I would love to see ToT and would gladly wait in line another twenty or thirty minutes for the chicken car to come around. I simply cannot do the drops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom