Rotating Resturant?

MaXXimus

Original Poster
Someone was telling me at work there is a resturant somewhere within WDW that sits atop a resort and actually spins/rotates. Is there such a place?

Nemo14

Someone was telling me at work there is a resturant somewhere within WDW that sits atop a resort and actually spins/rotates. Is there such a place?
Inside the Land building at Epcot is the Garden Grill restaurant. It rotates slowly, and you get to see the inside of the Listen to the Land ride from there. It's totally inside though....

MaXXimus

Original Poster
Ok I see now, did some research and it seems CR once had Top of the World but after renovations renamed it to California Grill... does that rotate?

Nemo14

Ok I see now, did some research and it seems CR once had Top of the World but after renovations renamed it to California Grill... does that rotate?
Now that you mention it, that was the name of it originally! :hammer:
I don't think it rotates, but others here will know. It's a great place to see Wishes from though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can confirm the only restaurant that rotates is the Garden Grill at the Land. The restaurant on top of the Contemporary was at one time called top of the world and featured a Broadway style dance show. It is now called The California Grill and it has never rotated.

slappy magoo

The view you can get at the top of CR really would make for a great rotating resturant

IIIIIIIIIII think that's the sort of thing you have to prepare for during the construction phase. I wouldn't think that a resturant could be retro-fitted to be rotating.

RAZORBRAD

that kind sounds cool and scary all at the same time lol

it rotates at such a slow pace you wouldnt know you were moving if the scenery didnt change. Not to mention the food is horrible. The only good part was the characters came around much more than other character meals.

The Mom

Premium Member
That is so sad, but has been the case ever since it opened.

The first time I went there, the food was just so-so. Then, in the mid 80s, it improved quite a bit. It became our restaurant fo choice, because my sister-in-law (who lives in the Orlando area) is a vegetarian, and it was one of the few restaurants that had a decent choice for her.

In the late 90s, it switched to family style, and went downhill. I actually didn't go back until I had lunch with a group of wdwmagic forum members in 2002. At that time, the food was pretty good, and since most of the group consisted of young guys on a budget, the all you can eat factor was a real plus. :lol:

I have heard via recent posts that the food went downhill from the point on.

We can only hope for another change in chef and menu soon.

The Mom

Premium Member
Does anyone know if the restaurant on top of what used to be the Buena Vista Palace used to rotate?

I only ask because I think it was built around the time that rotating restaurants were included in new expensive hotels. The Hilton restaurant in Toronto, on the shore of Lake Ontario, used to rotate (maybe it still does), as did (does) the restaurant on top of the CN Tower. I believe these were all late 60s, early 70s construction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom