Rose and Crown

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
I'll be dining at Rose and Crown for the first time during my trip in March. Been wanting to give it a try for a while. I'm a huge fan of shepherd's pie, so I'm leaning towards getting that, but I've also heard that the bangers and mash is very good too. Just wondering what's good and what the portions and quality of the food is like. Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but what is the layout/dining areas like?

DisAl

I hope you have a good experience. They probably do a good job with the shepherd's pie. We ate there only one time, and in my opinion the fish and chips is better at Captain D's. Other items such as the Scotch egg were good, but the fish was so greasy it was terrible.
If I remember correctly they have a "main" dining room where the bar is, another dining room on the left side, and an outdoor patio dining area where you can view the lagoon.
(We will be there March 5 - 13. Wave!)

zurgandfriend

We went a next to last trip circa 2017 and ate in the dining room. We split the cheese plater for an appetizer. I had the bangers and mash, which I enjoyed. DW & DS had the salmon both said it was good. We all had sticky toffee pudding for dessert. DW had a “black & Tan” to drink I had a hard cider. DS was still underage and had coke. Over all it was an enjoyable meal. That said I cannot stand Sheppard’s pie. It was a staple during my 30+ years in the service. Ground beef and veggies mixed with instant potatoes. I am sure if prepared correctly it is enjoyable but I would not be able to get it up to my mouth.

belledream

I got the Shepard’s pie once. I thought it looked kind of small actually - like they stuffed it all in a soup bowl. I didn’t leave hungry or anything, but I do remember it was realllly salty. I’m trying type of person who doesn’t mind a bit of excess ‘flavor’ every so often, but I was like wowwwee! You may have better luck though!

JohnD

I liked my fish and chips but then again there isn't much you can do to make it much better. Probably just as good at Yorkshire CS right outside. Another time I tried the curry. I thought it was interesting. Bangers and Mash is pretty good. Suffice it to say, we're talking UK food here. It isn't exactly known for it's cuisine.

JIMINYCR

My experience there... Shepherds pie was just OK, nothing exciting about it, found it sparse in flavor. The Bangers & Mash was a much better choice for flavor. I also enjoyed the corn beef & cabbage. DW was very pleased her Salmon each time she had it. The Toffee pudding is exceptional. The inside dining area can get noisy if theres a rowdy bunch at the bar area. The noise filters into where you are seated. Because of that Ive enjoyed being seated at the outside tables better. We did get good service and attention at each of the dinings weve had.

JillC LI

We were just there in December. I enjoyed the fish n chips. DH didn't love the bangers and mash. No one had the shepherds pie so I can't comment on it. We had the latest seating available and requested the outdoor patio so we stayed to watch IllumiNations there. Now they have the IllumiNations package although I would think you could still eat there and get the view without reserving the package, just like we did. DH loved the various liquer flights that were offered. The sticky toffee pudding is delicious for dessert.

UncleMike101

We've been going to the Rose And Crown since it opened and we've sampled just about everything they've had on the menu over the years.
My personal favorite is the Bangers and Mash.
The Fish & Chips are good but the local Cracker Barrel serves that every Friday and theirs are just as good as R&C's.
My DW likes the Shepherds Pie.

nickys

Premium Member
I got the Shepard’s pie once. I thought it looked kind of small actually - like they stuffed it all in a soup bowl. I didn’t leave hungry or anything, but I do remember it was realllly salty. I’m trying type of person who doesn’t mind a bit of excess ‘flavor’ every so often, but I was like wowwwee! You may have better luck though!

Yes, this! It was incredibly salty. In fact, I thought it tasted like a microwaved ready-meal version of shepherds pie. Definitely not impressed, and we avoided the R&C last trip. However I did eat there as part of a tour, and found the food better than I expected. This time I had the salmon and it was pretty good.

Mista C

The bangers and mash is amazing. But whatever you do, do not under any circumstances miss the lamb barley soup. Back in the 80's when Epcot first opened, we ate there so many times that my Mom wrote them after we returned one year and asked them for the recipe. They sent it to her. She has been making it every year since then. It's fantastic!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I usually get the bangers and mash as my entree and I enjoy it. I have also gotten their burger and it was really good. I also love the scotch egg. My husband enjoys the fish and chips as well.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I usually drink my dinner at the pub there. -jk (well okay....sometimes).

I think R&C is a bit underrated. I've eaten there a few times. No real complaints. It's not the best food you'll find on property...but it certainly is not the worst. I've had the Sheppards Pie, Bangers and Mash, and the Pub burger. Overall I've enjoyed it.

Phonedave

I thought the short ribs were good, and the salmon was not bad either.

Most of the other stuff on the menu is pretty true to it is preparation - pedestrian. Meat cooked until it is grey, potato and cabbage. Maybe add some peas. There really is not much you can do with that. It's is not bad, but it is not going to blow you away. Heck, put neeps and tatties on the menu and be done with it - one of the blandest most uninteresting dishes I have ever eaten.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom