room upgrades.

madhatter

whats best way to get free room upgrade? going in december so chances should be better, right? last time we got a free upgrade for free at the GF in may 4 years ago , i told them it was our honeymoon, withoout asking. i don't think it will work again now that we have kids.

theduchess

This may not be considered an upgrade...
We arrive on Friday afternoon and stay at a Wilderness Cabin and go to the bonfire and outdoor movie.
Early the next morning, we check into our resort and request a specific room. Since most people don't check in until the afternoon, we get a great room. If you don't like the room you get, go back and tell them! This actually works. Be sure to tell them at check in you do NOT need the room until later in the afternoon, even though you are checking in now. Otherwise, they will give you a room that is empty then, not one that might be vacated later in the day.:hammer:

Upvote 0

madhatter

Original Poster
beauty,

either you have sooooooo much money that you don't how much you spend or you are very gulliable. when you buy a car, do you pay just agree to pay the asking price or do you try to get a bargain? i want the upgrade because the concierge buildings are very nice, but not worth the price. you essientially get free breakfast, lunch ( if you don't mind cold sandwiches, fruit, or chips and salsa), and evening snacks in the concierge building if you get a free upgrade, but if you pay the asking price its not free or too great of a deal. take advantage of disney's occassional kindness, you deserve it, considering how much money you spend there.

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

I'm not rich, and like anyone else I like a bargin. however people seem to think that by telling lies or complaining when there is really nothing to complain about, they can get something for nothing.
I'm afraid I come from the school, you get what you deserve and pay for. People who get things for nothing usually do so at the expense of others. I'm sorry if my opinion upset you, but as the saying goes if the hat fits wear it:king:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Beauty and the
I'm not rich, and like anyone else I like a bargin. however people seem to think that by telling lies or complaining when there is really nothing to complain about, they can get something for nothing.
I'm afraid I come from the school, you get what you deserve and pay for. People who get things for nothing usually do so at the expense of others. I'm sorry if my opinion upset you, but as the saying goes if the hat fits wear it:king:

I agree. We've gotten upgrades from time to time, but only because the hotel was not able to give us what we had already ordered...once at the Contemporary we got a suite because they had given our confirmed room away due to a large tour group, and another time (I forget which hotel) we got a better room because there were no non-smoking rooms available on check-in. Friends were once upgraded to the presidential suite at the Ritz-Naples because they had specifically ordered a King bed, and only rooms with 2 queens were available. In all of these instances, no one felt they "deserved" a better room, just the room they had been promised. BTW, we found out later that our original room had been given away because some people earlier in the day thought they could get away with putting more(a lot more!) people than the maximum allowed into a standard room(s), and were forced to buy another room or leave. Therefore, there weren't enough rooms for the tour group. Rather than have them fighting over the suite, the desk "saved" it for our arrival.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I don't agree with cheating the system. It's like trying to figure out how to get an extra fastpass...there is a fine line between frugality and stinginess, and I think lying crosses that line. The only things of the sort I have ever gotten was a free park ticket due to a misunderstanding when we bought the ticket and another year we got a free meal at Boatwrights because of a slow check-in (the cast member was new). I would never lie to get something extra, however...

Upvote 0

madhatter

Original Poster
i'm not trying to complain, hurt people, or tells in order to get an upgrade. the one time i got an upgrade we were actually on our honeymoon. i'm just saying that it doesn't hurt to ask and i want to know whats the best way. remember that disney is a business out to make money, they want your business, and will ocassionaly do things or give things away to insure repeat business. take advantage of it or some one else will. i'm sorry but i like free things.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Last year when we stayed at Y&B they gave us a free upgrade to a waterview room. It was Febuary and during cheak in we asked for a room with a short walk distance, (I was very pregant,) They asked if it was our first time at Y&B (it was) and then upgraded our room. I think if they have better rooms avilable they will often give them out, hopeing that when you come back you will want the same luxary and pay for it next time.

Of course being close also seemed to mean being close to loud drunk people yelling as they wondered the halls looking for there room after the bar closed at 2 am.

This bothered me. I have more patience for excited children making noise in the halls then adults who just don't care about being respetful to others. (However my child will never run up and down hotel corridors yelling if I can help it, but then again she can only crawl now :) )

Upvote 0

tercar

We've gotten upgrades to water views without asking at both the Yacht and Beach Club. Both times were in the height of the busy summer season also. They are nice to get.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Since I am a travel agent I get upgrades because of the buisness i give them. When I made my reservation at the contemporary the other day the woman i made the reservation with told me to call after I get my little yellow forms and ask to be upgraded to a Tower room. She said I would probably get it to, because book a lot of vacations to WDW.

Upvote 0

Goofette

I always look for special rates and bargains. I don't think anyone here at this site meant they were going to lie to get a bargain (I hope that isn't what they were saying), I think they just wondered if there were any specials. With that said, I think Disney is pretty big on their "upsells" and if you call and ask if there are any specials, a lot of times you can catch a "Managers Special". Good luck Madhatter on your vacation planning.

Upvote 0

gepetto

Unless they mess up your reservations really bad or something, I don't think there's a chance for an upgrade. Like at Polynesian, there are probably a couple of hundred GV rooms...not likely they're going to pick you out in a crowd to upgrade you to a LV or concierge room. Try calling for a discount on the room type you want to be in.:animwink:

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Last year when we stayed at the French Quater we requested a standard view room. When we got there they gave us a room with a beautiful view of the pool. And when I called for reservations they quotes it 25 dollars more a night to look at the pool. So we got a free upgrade. But whenever you check in ASK! The worst thing they can say is no we can't give you an upgrade. You never know though when you might just get one.

Upvote 0

mainer

A fine line

I agree that there's no way to justify lying or complaining about a non-existent problem to get an upgrade. But there's no harm in asking for one or in pushing for one if there is a problem. We booked into the Disney Institute in December (for a February trip) because it offered the cheapest two-room accommodations (we have three children, 11, 8 and 23 months and didn't want to have to go to bed every night at 8 when the youngest did). Two weeks before our trip, DI was closed. So I was not willing to take what Disney offered – one room in a deluxe resort. I kept dealing with supervisors and supervisors' supervisors until I got a very good deal – 1 BR Boardwalk Villa for $150/a night. Did I get a bargain? Yes. Did I do anything unethical? No. If the DI had stayed open, I would have gone there and expected what I had paid for. But Disney, not I, changed the reservation, so I felt like it was up to them to offer me something comparable or better.

Upvote 0

Maria

I worked for a Hyatt hotel as concierge supervisor and guest relations manager. Loved those floors! I gave upgrades a lot of times. My boss taught me to do it when it was necessary to make sure the guest returns (and it worked all the times!), and also based on "feeling", and of course, occupancy.

I was in charge of the vip´s and room blocking for every day. Loved doing it. I could smell when someone was trying to get an upgrade just per se. In some cases, I just did it and assured a returning guest.... but made sure to record the upgrade on the system and on the "guest history".

Believe me, once people try the Concierge floors, they don´t want to go back to the normal ones! We had 60 rooms there and "my little hotel inside the hotel" was always busier than the rest!

I have got upgrades for myself for different reasons: occupancy, a room not ready, etc. In Westin Regina, me and my 2 friends got the best room of the whole group bc they were missing one room from the group and this was the last one to be done: worth waiting! On the Disney Cruise, we were upgraded to the 7th floor with a balcony and that was the best upgrade ever! I had never have to ask for any of them... but, when I need to complain, I do it, specially with my background when you know how things are done in the business! ;)

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

You shouldn't lie to get an upgrade. You get what you pay for, you shouldn't get a deluxe room when all you are paying for is a standard room. But it never hurts to ask at the desk when you get there. You never know what they can do.

Upvote 0

Disneynut

If you can check-in early in the day your chances for an upgrade are good. Just ask at the front desk. We did this at the Boardwalk Inn two years ago and were upgraded from a standard view to a Lagoon/Boardwalk view room.

Upvote 0

goofy1

We also had reservations at DI at the treehouse villas. We were finally given 2 bedroom rooms at Old Key West instead of the treehouse villas that we had paid for. We feel we got a good deal. Guess we will find out in a few weeks. Going on march 22-29. Almost here!! Can't wait.....!!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom