Room location with least "sway" on Disney Cruise

Sadiebird

DH, DS, and I went on a 4 night Disney Cruise to the Bahamas in the fall of '07. It was our first cruise and there were parts of it that we really enjoyed, but I had a really difficult time with the sway of the boat. I was never nauseous, but just felt out of sorts with the constant movement of the ship. We swore we would never do another cruise, but now we're looking at the new photos of the Disney Dream and we're thinking we should reconsider. So here's my question. Are there parts of the ship that you feel less of a sway? Our stateroom was 6566 on the Wonder. It was noisy and the walls creaked when the boat swayed. Are all of the rooms like that or were we just in a bad spot?

Thanks for your help! :wave:

WDITrent

Well, logically, probably the room that would sway the least would be somewhere near the center of the ship.

But on a side note, the swaying is my favorite part of a cruise. :)

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
Well, logically, probably the room that would sway the least would be somewhere near the center of the ship.

We were pretty close to the center of the ship. I'm thinking we may need to choose a lower level and take an inside state room.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

The swaying is lateral, starboard to port, and back.
It's not along the length of the ship, front to back.

That should mean that the lower you go the less movement there is.
Sounds good anyway.

:)

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
Is there a time of the year when the water is calmer and there would be less swaying overall? Our last trip was in November and I wonder if the water is rougher that time of year.

Upvote 0

HS0411

Is there a time of the year when the water is calmer and there would be less swaying overall? Our last trip was in November and I wonder if the water is rougher that time of year.

You just missed the hurricane season, so the waters could have been a little bit rougher. Spring tends to be calmer waters (at least from my expericences).

I always suggest to stay on a lower deck, mid-ship. The creaking is kind of normal though. Part of the "perks" of cruising.

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
You just missed the hurricane season, so the waters could have been a little bit rougher. Spring tends to be calmer waters (at least from my expericences).

I always suggest to stay on a lower deck, mid-ship. The creaking is kind of normal though. Part of the "perks" of cruising.

How about June? Is it a little calmer then?

Didn't know about the creaking, since it was our first cruise. Our room was also very noisy. I think we were near an engine. I imagine if I were to book another cruise I could ask if the room is near an engine?

One other question. Is it common to feel like you're still on the boat a week after your trip?! I've always had inner ear issues, so I assumed it was just me, but I wonder if that happens to others as well.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

It's probably your inner ear issue that is making you sensitive to the swaying. I would think you are sensitive to the motion in Mission:Space too?

I took my first cruise this past August, and didn't feel the boat sway except on the first night, when it was a very rough night - MANY people got sick, just from sitting in the theater waiting for the show to start. When walking back to the room later, quite a few people looked like they were drunk due to the swaying.

After that first night, I didn't feel a thing re swaying. No one in my family had issues, and no one had the feeling they were on the ship days or weeks after.

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
It's probably your inner ear issue that is making you sensitive to the swaying. I would think you are sensitive to the motion in Mission:Space too?

I took my first cruise this past August, and didn't feel the boat sway except on the first night, when it was a very rough night - MANY people got sick, just from sitting in the theater waiting for the show to start. When walking back to the room later, quite a few people looked like they were drunk due to the swaying.

After that first night, I didn't feel a thing re swaying. No one in my family had issues, and no one had the feeling they were on the ship days or weeks after.

I never even bothered to try regular version of Mission:Space because I assumed I wouldn't do well on it. I've been on the less intense one, but obviously, that means nothing without the spinning.

Yes, I recall not being able to walk in a straight line down the corridors on my first night. Never got sick, but was a little uncomfortable and would like to be able to enjoy a cruise without experiencing so much of that.

Upvote 0

HS0411

How about June? Is it a little calmer then?

Didn't know about the creaking, since it was our first cruise. Our room was also very noisy. I think we were near an engine. I imagine if I were to book another cruise I could ask if the room is near an engine?

One other question. Is it common to feel like you're still on the boat a week after your trip?! I've always had inner ear issues, so I assumed it was just me, but I wonder if that happens to others as well.

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30. Early June may be OK, but it just depends on what type of season we have. If it's another 2004 or 2005 season, it's gonna be rough.

IMHO, I think you actually had a pretty good room. The engines are actually about 8 decks below you. We have 4 more decks below deck 1. I "lived" on deck 1 all the way to the forward of the ship. After about 2 weeks, I never heard the engines. The creaking took about a week to get used to. My first couple of days on-board, it did take some getting used to all the "noises."

It's very common to still feel the ship "moving" after you get off. It took me nearly a month to stop swaying with the ocean while I was in the shower. I remember sitting at restaurants in Nassau, just rocking in my chair cause I didn't have my "land legs."

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30. Early June may be OK, but it just depends on what type of season we have. If it's another 2004 or 2005 season, it's gonna be rough.

IMHO, I think you actually had a pretty good room. The engines are actually about 8 decks below you. We have 4 more decks below deck 1. I "lived" on deck 1 all the way to the forward of the ship. After about 2 weeks, I never heard the engines. The creaking took about a week to get used to. My first couple of days on-board, it did take some getting used to all the "noises."

It's very common to still feel the ship "moving" after you get off. It took me nearly a month to stop swaying with the ocean while I was in the shower. I remember sitting at restaurants in Nassau, just rocking in my chair cause I didn't have my "land legs."

Hmm. I wonder what the noises were that I was hearing then? Are there any generators or anything like that near that area of the boat?

Upvote 0

HS0411

Hmm. I wonder what the noises were that I was hearing then? Are there any generators or anything like that near that area of the boat?

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of would be the ice makers in the housekeeping areas.

Most generators and things that make noise are either kept below decks or at the the extreme forward and aft of the ship.

It seems like you are trying to justify to try all the "advancements" that are being planned for the Dream, after not liking your first cruise. Cruises aren't for everyone. You could go again and have smooth sailing and not a single wave. Or you be like the Magic last week and not be able to dock in PC because of weather. There are so many variables that can go into a cruise with weather. Unless you are willing to take the bad with the good, you just may not be cruisers. I can't tell you how many people are in you same shoes as you. People book a Disney cruise, because it's Disney. You have to realize you are booking a cruise, not a trip to WDW. DCL and WDW are NOT the same thing.

My big question to you is: Can you overcome the creaking, noises, swaying, and weather issues to truly enjoy the magic that is on a Disney Cruise?

I'm not trying to be insulting or rude. I'm just laying out what so many others have said to me. I am one of those people (just from a CM side).

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of would be the ice makers in the housekeeping areas.

Most generators and things that make noise are either kept below decks or at the the extreme forward and aft of the ship.

It seems like you are trying to justify to try all the "advancements" that are being planned for the Dream, after not liking your first cruise. Cruises aren't for everyone. You could go again and have smooth sailing and not a single wave. Or you be like the Magic last week and not be able to dock in PC because of weather. There are so many variables that can go into a cruise with weather. Unless you are willing to take the bad with the good, you just may not be cruisers. I can't tell you how many people are in you same shoes as you. People book a Disney cruise, because it's Disney. You have to realize you are booking a cruise, not a trip to WDW. DCL and WDW are NOT the same thing.

My big question to you is: Can you overcome the creaking, noises, swaying, and weather issues to truly enjoy the magic that is on a Disney Cruise?

I'm not trying to be insulting or rude. I'm just laying out what so many others have said to me. I am one of those people (just from a CM side).

You're probably right. But there were things that I really loved about the cruise though, that we're considering trying it again. I LOVED Castaway Cay. And when we were sailing during the day I was fine. It was just when the boat picked up speed on the first night to get to the first port and also on the last night when it picked up speed again to get back to Port Canaveral. Those were the things I had trouble with. We also went when DS was 2YO and he wasn't old enough to do anything and couldn't even go in the pools because he wasn't potty trained. We feel like we missed out on so much. I wouldn't say I was miserable on the trip, there were just portions of it that were kind of uncomfortable for me. If I can make some modifications, I think I'd like to try it again.

Upvote 0

majorrfb

Sea sickness

Try to book a room as close to Mid ship as possible, and lower decks to help
avoid motion sickness. I get sick just going fishing, or on a ferry to see
the Statue of Liberty. A doctor prescribed scolpolomine patch does wonders.
With a room as mentioned and a patch, I avoided all effects of sea sickness, and had a wonderful time. Have a great trip.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

HS0411

You're probably right. But there were things that I really loved about the cruise though, that we're considering trying it again. I LOVED Castaway Cay. And when we were sailing during the day I was fine. It was just when the boat picked up speed on the first night to get to the first port and also on the last night when it picked up speed again to get back to Port Canaveral. Those were the things I had trouble with. We also went when DS was 2YO and he wasn't old enough to do anything and couldn't even go in the pools because he wasn't potty trained. We feel like we missed out on so much. I wouldn't say I was miserable on the trip, there were just portions of it that were kind of uncomfortable for me. If I can make some modifications, I think I'd like to try it again.

You just explained alot. NEVER take a child under 3 and not potty trained. As much as the Nursery staff is amazing (one of my BFs works there), the kids miss out on all the fun activities in the Oceaneer's Lab/Club. Plus you have to pay for the Nursery. And if you DS is sociable with other kids, you will never see him.

I think you are so on the fence, I would say go for it. The worst is, you have the same experience before. The best thing is that you love it. I may recommend to look at some other cruise lines and take a one night cruise out of NYC, just to test it again, before you spend the big bucks on DCL.

Even after living on the ship for 8 months and knowing every nook & cranny of the Wonder, I am even looking at a cruise on the Dream.

EDIT: Sadiebird, I was actually working on the ship, while you were on-board!

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
You just explained alot. NEVER take a child under 3 and not potty trained. As much as the Nursery staff is amazing (one of my BFs works there), the kids miss out on all the fun activities in the Oceaneer's Lab/Club. Plus you have to pay for the Nursery. And if you DS is sociable with other kids, you will never see him.

I think you are so on the fence, I would say go for it. The worst is, you have the same experience before. The best thing is that you love it. I may recommend to look at some other cruise lines and take a one night cruise out of NYC, just to test it again, before you spend the big bucks on DCL.

Even after living on the ship for 8 months and knowing every nook & cranny of the Wonder, I am even looking at a cruise on the Dream.

We actually had one other experience on the cruise that I have a question about. As it was our first cruise, we had no idea about the waiter tipping until we were on board. Our waiters were great, so we followed the recommended tipping amounts on the envelopes. The last morning of the cruise at breakfast, although they had been over the top friendly and helpful to us throughout the rest of the cruise, they acted as though they didn't even know who we were! Did we not tip them enough? Should we have given more than the recommended amount? Or were they just "off duty" at that point and ready to be finished with their shift?

Upvote 0

HS0411

We actually had one other experience on the cruise that I have a question about. As it was our first cruise, we had no idea about the waiter tipping until we were on board. Our waiters were great, so we followed the recommended tipping amounts on the envelopes. The last morning of the cruise at breakfast, although they had been over the top friendly and helpful to us throughout the rest of the cruise, they acted as though they didn't even know who we were! Did we not tip them enough? Should we have given more than the recommended amount? Or were they just "off duty" at that point and ready to be finished with their shift?

There's a million reasons, why it could have happened. My guess is that if you had a mid-November cruise, we were in the process of our final crew rotations or "movements" before the holidays. Usually we have about 30 to 50 crew movements, but our holidady crew movements are at nearly 100. They may have had to pick up extra tables or missing crew or they themselves may have been leaving that morning and they usually don't have to work, but had to do to shortages. Who knows? Maybe they just had to much "fun" the night before. It does seem odd that they would act like that. I don't want to gossip about my fellow CM, but I would be funny to see if you had any of my friends.

Tipping the suggested amount is typical. Just remember that the dining room staff is usually working all 3 meals. That doesn't leave alot of room for free time.

Upvote 0

Sadiebird

Original Poster
There's a million reasons, why it could have happened. My guess is that if you had a mid-November cruise, we were in the process of our final crew rotations or "movements" before the holidays. Usually we have about 30 to 50 crew movements, but our holidady crew movements are at nearly 100. They may have had to pick up extra tables or missing crew or they themselves may have been leaving that morning and they usually don't have to work, but had to do to shortages. Who knows? Maybe they just had to much "fun" the night before. It does seem odd that they would act like that. I don't want to gossip about my fellow CM, but I would be funny to see if you had any of my friends.

Tipping the suggested amount is typical. Just remember that the dining room staff is usually working all 3 meals. That doesn't leave alot of room for free time.

Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. We were concerned that we had done something wrong, but if it was other circumstances, that makes me feel a little bit better! We thought we might have offended them!

I'd tell you their names, but it was over 2 years ago and I don't remember! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom