Room Keys

travellerman

Original Poster
Am going to Disney soon, and It's been a couple years now since I stayed on property and thought I've heard or read that they've changed the lock/keys since I've been. You just touch the card to the lock? I tried looking up pictures online but couldn't really find any. I could just wait and see lol but i'm getting excited about my trip. (Staying at Saratoga Springs)

matt9112

Am going to Disney soon, and It's been a couple years now since I stayed on property and thought I've heard or read that they've changed the lock/keys since I've been. You just touch the card to the lock? I tried looking up pictures online but couldn't really find any. I could just wait and see lol but i'm getting excited about my trip. (Staying at Saratoga Springs)

yes all locks are now RFID like the badges many people have for work...same thing. you will also be able to use the card as your ticket into the parks as well. and attach a credit card for purchases if you desire.

Mukta

Here is a picture of me opening the door using the RFID technology at the Beach Club.

IMG_1684.jpg

G00fyDad

Here is a picture of me opening the door using the RFID technology at the Beach Club.

IMG_1684.jpg

Thanks for the pic. However, I have to mention this.... Couldn't Disney have gone the extra mile two feet and finished the door correctly instead of just removing a lock, adding the RFID reader, and leaving the badly scarred section of the door facing? :facepalm: Heck, I am pretty sure that any one of use could have made that look better with a piece of sand paper and 5 minutes of work.

Padraig

IMG_1684.jpg

Thanks for the pic. However, I have to mention this.... Couldn't Disney have gone the extra mile two feet and finished the door correctly instead of just removing a lock, adding the RFID reader, and leaving the badly scarred section of the door facing? :facepalm: Heck, I am pretty sure that any one of use could have made that look better with a piece of sand paper and 5 minutes of work.

Given what they charge for their rooms, this type of half-'d work is completely unacceptable.

Rob562

As Mukta said, they've since gone back and touched up the doors after the locks were changed. Maintenance was on a tight timeline to get all 10,000+ (20,000+?) resort room locks replaced so that the front desks could switch over to the RFID room key media. They circled back afterward to make things look nice.

-Rob

Polydweller

As Mukta said, they've since gone back and touched up the doors after the locks were changed. Maintenance was on a tight timeline to get all 10,000+ (20,000+?) resort room locks replaced so that the front desks could switch over to the RFID room key media. They circled back afterward to make things look nice.

-Rob
Yep, they were fixed at the Poly last October and yes they circled back. The last room count I saw for Disney was 26,000. A lot of locks to get done fast so a two step process really isn't out of line.

You really have to touch the Mickey symbol in the middle. These are very low range RFID systems and you can't be off by much more than about 1/4 inch.

travellerman

Original Poster
So it works the same as the rdif turnstiles that they are putting at the park entrances? You just touch it against it instead of sticking it in the slot. Again, sorry lol it's all new to me. In any case, still excited about my trip.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.

IMG_1684.jpg
We're such freaking nerds around here. Who else would just happen to have these kind of pics handy? Only people like us and people who make "How to" instructions.

This too! It's the first thing I noticed as well!! HAHAHA...Man we have some serious issues.

For the record I'm glad we do have these issues and I love all you nuts for that exact reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom