Room Key & Pin Trading Shops Questions

Raychul

Original Poster
I am not sure which thread to put this in so feel free to move it. :)

My first questions is about the WDW room key/park ticket. I know that you can buy things in the parks and have it charged to your room and even delivered to your room, but my questions is, can you use it in place of your credit card? Like, do I need to bring my credit card into the parks or can I use my room key as my credit card and only bring my ID along with me?

Second question is, this will be my first time in WDW as a pin trader, so I do not know where the good pin purchasing stores are in each of the 4 parks. Can anyone tell me which stores to visit that sell the best variety of pins? I seem to be more of a pin collector than a trader, but I am just looking for more variety and not sure which stores in each of the parks to go check. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! :kiss:

EmOhYouEssE

I don't do the pin trading thing, so, unfortunately, I can only help you with the 1st part of your question.

When you check in at the resort, you can use a CC to utilize your Keys to the World card as a charge. I think the amount authorized per day is based on the level of hotel you are at, but I can't be sure. I'm thinking we had like a $500 or $1000 limit per day at a Mod, and they will authorize your CC for more if you are close to the limit they have pre authorized.

Keep in mind, this may have changed since we last used our KTTW card in that capacity (as it just seemed easier to us to use our actual card without the limit).

Em

EPCOT Explorer

Dtd's Pin Traders is GREAT for pins and trading.the only bad thing is that it's outdoor(THE HEAT!:dazzle:) and the CM's are very unexperienced.

In EPCOT Pin Central in the middle of Innoventions Plaza is great too.(just look for the purple tarps)

DisneyGigi

You can as said above use your key to the world to charge your purchases and you do not need to have your CC. I don't think I had to show and ID either just give the the key card. If you are planning to have them deliver to your room though make sure you make those purchases at the beginning or mid trip because it takes up to 2 days if I am not mistaken. I know that on the second to last day I could not do that so I had to have it sent to the front of the park. I dont remember the amount but I bought a ton of stuff plus we used it for things not included on the dining plan too.
As far as pins spots goes be sure to hit the Pin Traders at DTD. The hat at DHS & Frontier Trading Post MK. There are losts of stands in EPCOT that I found unique pins plus in MouseGears. Trading is really fun too once you start, I found it downright addictive. There is also a store that has discounted pins but I do not remember the name.
Have fun! :wave:

olmec26

The Key to the World card has a limit of $500, if I remember correctly.

As far as pins go, Epcot's Pin Central and the Hat are both very good, as is the giant pin kiosk in the Downtown Disney Marketplace.

mrerk

Premium Member

My first questions is about the WDW room key/park ticket. I know that you can buy things in the parks and have it charged to your room and even delivered to your room, but my questions is, can you use it in place of your credit card? Like, do I need to bring my credit card into the parks or can I use my room key as my credit card and only bring my ID along with me?

Second question is, this will be my first time in WDW as a pin trader, so I do not know where the good pin purchasing stores are in each of the 4 parks. Can anyone tell me which stores to visit that sell the best variety of pins? I seem to be more of a pin collector than a trader, but I am just looking for more variety and not sure which stores in each of the parks to go check. Any help would be appreciated!

When you check in you will be asked if you would like to set up charging priveliges. If you do you would normally back it up with a credit card, but you can also use cash or Disney dollars. The default limit on a Key to the World card is $500 for a value, $1000 for a mod or $1500 for a deluxe or DVC. When you get near your limit they will leave a message on your room phone to come to the front desk. They will then charge your CC for your old purchases and open up your KTTW for more purchases. There is really no need to carry your CC unless you plan on making large purchases that would exceed you KTTW limit. (I hope that made sense)

There is 1 main pin trading location at each park.

MK: Town Square Expo Hall (on the right as you enter, next to Tony's)

EC: Pin Central (Behind Spaceship Earth)

DHS: Sorcerer Hat Shop (the big hat)

AK: Island Merchantile (the first shop on the left after you pass through the Oasis)

CleveRocks

All about room charge

A room charge can be set up with cash, travelers checks, Disney Dollars, a debit card (with VISA/MC logo), or a credit card.

There is no daily limit. There is a limit for the room charge in general. If you hit that limit, you can simply set up another room charge.

The UPPER limit is dictated by your level of resort: $500 for Value resorts, $1,000 for Moderate resorts and $1,500 for Deluxe resorts. These are UPPER limits ... you can set up a lower limit if you like.

As I said, there is no such thing as a daily limit. Your balance just keeps adding up ... it is not reset every day.

If you use plastic to back up a room charge, your card will NOT be charged immediately, and there will be NO HOLD placed on the account. In other words, if you have $3,000 of available credit on your Mastercard, and you sign up for a $1,000 room charge, you STILL have $3,000 available credit on your credit card; no hold was placed on your card. If you are using a debit card and have $3,000 in your checking account, after you set up a $500 room charge account you will STILL have $3,000 available in your checking account.

If you use plastic, they will swipe the card, but again, they do not place a hold and they do not pre-charge the amount. What they do is get authorization for a charge of zero dollars and zero cents. By "pinging" the account in this manner, they make sure that it is a valid card on an existing account.

If you use plastic, and you reach your room charge limit, you have the convenience of calling the front desk (or going there, if you feel like it) and verbally authorizing another room charge. If you used some form of currency, you'd have to physically go to the front desk and give them more currency to set up another room charge.

If you use plastic, your card will not be charged UNTIL one of the following occurs: you reach the room charge limit; or it's about 3:00 a.m. or so on your check-out day. If you use plastic, you will retain room charging privileges through 11:59 p.m. on your check-out day, meaning you can still use your room charge after you check-out of your resort. If you used currency to back up your room charge, you will receive an immediate refund at check-out of any amount leftover in the room charge account.

Room charge can be used ALMOST everywhere. The snack carts in the parks do accept them (as well as credit/debit cards). The only consistent place I know of in the parks that you can't use it is roving vendors who sell stuff in front of and behind the parades. Every venue at all of the Disney owned-and-operated resorts accepts room charge; the only exception would be if there happens to be a third-party vendor permitted to operate somewhere. At Downtown Disney, some places take it and some don't.

Not all cards have to have room charging privileges. You can choose to not allow your kids room charging privileges, for example.

At any time, you can go to your resort's front desk and get an up-to-the-minute printout of your room charge activity. It will include the date, time, exact location, and total amount of the purchase (if you buy 4 souvenirs at a shop, it will tell the total purchase amount but will not list how many items or a description of the items). It will also include the card number (if you and your spouse each have room charge set up on your card, one card will be #1 and one will be #2).

One very little-known fact is that you can set up two (or more) separate room charges within the same room. EVen a lot of CMs aren't aware of this. If you wish to do this, you have to tell the CM you want to set up a "share." You must use the word "share." If they say it can't be done, ask them to check the front desk manual and/or ask a lead for guidance. I once had a CM tell me I couldn't set up a room charge for less than my Moderate resort's $1,000 upper limit; I told her I was sure I could, and asked her to check wth a lead, and then two minutes later I had my $800 limit set up.

If you choose, you can periodically pay down your room charge balance at the front desk. For example, let's say you set it up with your VISA card but for some reason you don't want a large charge on your VISA card. Let's say you have a $1,500 limit on your room charge, and then a few days into your week's vacation you go to the front desk and pay off what you've spent so far, let's say it's $400, by giving them travelers checks. If you do this, you again have $1,500 available on the room charge. Nothing has been charged to the credit card, because you haven't yet reached the limit and it is not yet your check-out day.

Did I miss anything???

Eyekimore

MK: Town Square Expo Hall (on the right as you enter, next to Tony's)

This has turned into a mega camera, film, etc. shop. There are now pins located in two other areas.

First- in the jewelry store on Main Street you will find an excellent collection of Limited Editions, etc- by far the best selection in MK.

The second location is in Frontierland close to the Shooting Gallery. They have a nice selection too.

We really enjoy trading pins. All of the Monorail loop hotels have pin trading boards that they open in the am. We've gotten some insanely awesome pins. DTD has a trading board as well that they open at certain times of the night.

We were in the store at the BC and they had a great game they usually play with the kids that they let us play. You go "fishing" for a fish with a magnet. This determines which lanyard you can trade with. It was just really fun and truly a "Disney" experience.

As far as resorts are concerned- POR has a nice collection of pins- but nothing more than you will find in the stores in the parks.

As you can see- my DH and I LOVE pin trading and collecting. It's just another way to enjoy our Disney visits.

Turcicus

This has turned into a mega camera, film, etc. shop. There are now pins located in two other areas.

First- in the jewelry store on Main Street you will find an excellent collection of Limited Editions, etc- by far the best selection in MK.

The second location is in Frontierland close to the Shooting Gallery. They have a nice selection too.

We really enjoy trading pins. All of the Monorail loop hotels have pin trading boards that they open in the am. We've gotten some insanely awesome pins. DTD has a trading board as well that they open at certain times of the night.

We were in the store at the BC and they had a great game they usually play with the kids that they let us play. You go "fishing" for a fish with a magnet. This determines which lanyard you can trade with. It was just really fun and truly a "Disney" experience.

As far as resorts are concerned- POR has a nice collection of pins- but nothing more than you will find in the stores in the parks.

As you can see- my DH and I LOVE pin trading and collecting. It's just another way to enjoy our Disney visits.

I agree, the jewelry store on Main Street in MK has some great pins and Limited Edition stuff.

When and where do the monorail loop hotels have the trading boards? How early in the morning and until when? My wife and I stayed at the Polynesian last year and never saw a board.

ZapperZ

All of the major pin stores at each park and DD relatively carry the same variety of pin, with minor exceptions for some special pins. So any store is a good one (Downtown Jewelers at MK, Pin Central at Epcot, The Hat at DHS, and Island Mercantile at AK). The Pin Trader store at Downtown Disney is also quite popular and the only one that carries Disney Visa pins.

For some reason, the pin store at AK does not get the same high number of pin buyers, so they tend to still have pins that may have ran out in other stores. So if there's some limited edition pins that you want that seems difficult to find, try the pin store at AK.

I've just given you my secret.... Oh well! :)

Zz.

Vernonpush

They no longer deliver to your room. The package will be delivered to your resort's gift shop. The gift shop will call your room (leave a message) and let you know it is there to pick up.

Yellow Shoes

Another tip about delivery to your resort:

Let the CM know that you'd like this service. There is some paperwork you need to fill out, which you can do while your purchases are being rung up. If you mention this after everything is rung up, it will slow down you and those behind you.

Last time I went the CMs were pretty consistent about asking if I'd like resort delivery, but it's good to know the system.

Also, THE worst time to retreive your stuff at your resort is after park closing. If possible, grab it during your afternoon swim, after breakfast, etc.

Eyekimore

When and where do the monorail loop hotels have the trading boards? How early in the morning and until when? My wife and I stayed at the Polynesian last year and never saw a board.

To start off- we were there in March and in July. I'm not sure if they had them last year or not. I can't remember. Here's the details for them now.....................

We were doing the loop in the am. The Poly was the only one that held to a strict time- 11:00am. They had it upstairs at the smaller store near the monorail entry. We did that one last.

GF had the best board- significantly better pins than any other. (LE and unusual ones) They have theirs in the gift shop by the monorail, as well. Their's was around 10:30am.

At the Contemporary in the center store of the main level- we asked when they would have the trading board open and they pulled it out for us then and there. (BTW- The Contemporary sometimes has HUGE things in the convention areas on Friday nights. I was chatting it up with the nice lady at the DVC desk there and she told us all about it.)

Hope that helps! We really enjoy it- we're big fans!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom