Room Discount or Free Dining

Madhatter12

Original Poster
Hello!

We have been to the world many times, always in June. However, we are planning a trip for December 2015. We're hoping for free dining or a room discount. As we have never been offered this in June we don't know which is a better value. Which would you pick? We would be staying in a moderate resort.

mickeysshoes

I would say in a moderate resort its a toss up. I would play with both discounts and see which one works best in your favor. Deluxe I would go room discount and value I would go free dining. Good luck!

ninjaprincesst

When the 2015 discounts come out (usually around July but this year it was May) you need to check your dates and resort to see if you qualify, then you will need to call and ask, Disney does not just give them to anyone you have to call and request it.

CP_alum08

Depends on when in December and how much you plan on eating. Since you have some time before your trip, I'd check out some menus of places you think you'll eat and get an idea of how much you'll spend on food per day. Then look at annual statistics of the discounts for your dates and compare the two. If you'll spend more on food than what the room discount is, go with free dining.

Rob562

I don't know what kind of availability is left for you to comparison shop, but you could always play around with the corresponding dates of your trip for *this* year and see which is better. That'll at least give you an idea of what to expect next year (with higher overall prices, of course) if the same discounts are offered.

But you'll have to be quick, the Free Dining booking deadline is this Friday.

Actually, ignore trying to book Free Dining. Just price out a full-price non-discounted package with tickets and that's what you'd pay and get the DDP for free on top of it. Then see what kind of a discounted room offer you can get.

-Rob

The Incredible Schmulk

If you're looking for what the better value is, then people are generally right that in a moderate, you'll likely save more money with the dining plan with more people in the room. Four people in a two queen bed set-up on the dining plan likely comes out way on top as compared to the room-only discount. Three is borderline, but probably still the better savings option.

That being said, you also have to factor in your dining preferences and habits when embarking on a dining plan option. It's rarely ever a consideration for my wife and me since we don't have children, so it's never more than just the two of us. For the sake of argument, though, were we to map out even the deluxe plan for our trip, we would still be discouraged by the rigidity of it. I've said it before on such threads, but the dining plan often offers a baffling combination of too much and not enough. More specifically, it offers too much food -- we like to split appetizers or desserts, very rarely do we want both, sometimes we even order all appetizers and eschew the entrees, and the dining plan doesn't really lend itself to that sort of meal -- and not enough choice. We like to eat at signatures a lot, we don't care for buffets or character meals and we like our alcoholic beverages, all of which make a dining plan option hard to justify.

Just wanted to throw that out there. If the meal layout of the dining plan looks like it will work for your party and the savings would be greater than a room-only discount, I think it's a no-brainer. But it's important to keep in mind how the dining plan will impact your normal, comfortable touring style along with the savings consideration.

Last edited:

DizneyPryncess

It's different for everyone. I agree with trying to come up with a rough idea of how much you'll be eating. My family of 3 has always done the room discounts when we stay at moderate or deluxe. But my daughter up until this point has been under 3, and free as far as eating goes. So for us it was just 2 adults who would qualify for the free dining. We're not big eaters, and thus the room discounts have always been a better deal for us. However our daughter will be almost 4 on our next trip, and we've got another baby on the way, so eventually the dining plan may be a bigger discount for us than the room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom