Room Assignments at check-in

disneycouple07

When a family checks in at the resort counter, how are the rooms assigned? If a family puts a special request in, for example, specific view, building, or queen/king, is it first come first serve? Or are the rooms assigned within a certain amount of days before actual check-in based on when the reservation was made and the resorts fill the special request first?

Also, what are the advantages of checking in through the online system.

wizards8507

When you purchase your vacation package, you can pay for certain features like special views, king size bed, etc etc. When you check in, the system automatically assigns you to a room with the default being two queen-sized beds with a standard view. The special rooms and views are reserved FIRST for those who PAY for them, but if there are openings at the time of check in they'll often upgrade you per your request on a first-come, first-served basis.

I would recommend NOT checking in via the online system because you can often get lower prices when speaking to a representative on the phone. My suggestion would be to complete the reservation request online to get a "baseline" price, so that you know when you talk to an agent there is a price that you will not go above. Then, call a couple of times and talk to different agents. You can often manipulate a lower price if you're shrewd. Make notes of specific agents and the price that you're quoted, then call back and request the specific agent who offered the lowest price.

*EDIT
If you're going during "busy season" and really want a specific view, go ahead and pay for it up front. In the off season, you can usually upgrade upon check-in without paying the charge. In my experience, add-ons like the "Savannah view" at AKL usually tack about $200 for a week.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
When you purchase your vacation package, you can pay for certain features like special views, king size bed, etc etc. When you check in, the system automatically assigns you to a room with the default being two queen-sized beds with a standard view. The special rooms and views are reserved FIRST for those who PAY for them, but if there are openings at the time of check in they'll often upgrade you per your request on a first-come, first-served basis.

I would recommend NOT checking in via the online system because you can often get lower prices when speaking to a representative on the phone. My suggestion would be to complete the reservation request online to get a "baseline" price, so that you know when you talk to an agent there is a price that you will not go above. Then, call a couple of times and talk to different agents. You can often manipulate a lower price if you're shrewd. Make notes of specific agents and the price that you're quoted, then call back and request the specific agent who offered the lowest price.

*EDIT
If you're going during "busy season" and really want a specific view, go ahead and pay for it up front. In the off season, you can usually upgrade upon check-in without paying the charge. In my experience, add-ons like the "Savannah view" at AKL usually tack about $200 for a week.

We paid for the Contemporary Tower - Theme park view for second week of September and requested a king-size bed. I've heard that the resort does not have many king-size beds. It's not a big deal if we do not get it cause we'll still be in WDW, but would be more comfortable. Just wondering how rooms are assigned.

Upvote 0

sbkline

If you're talking about a specific section, such as the Cabanas at Coronado vs the Casitas or Ranchos, or Alligator Bayou at POR as opposed to Magnolia, etc, you can tell them on the phone when you book your reservation, of that preference. To cover their own behinds, they will tell you that they can't guarantee that, but they will make a note of it on the reservation. When we stayed at POR, we requested Magnolia Bend and got it both times.

However, when we stayed at Coronado Springs this past April, I made no request regarding which section and when we checked in, they didn't ask. We were just randomly assigned an available room in the Casitas.

So getting back to your question, from my personal experience, it seems that if you don't make any specific requests, they just randomly assign you a room in a random section of the resort. And, of course, as a previous poster stated, rooms that cost more, such as particular views, King beds, or whatever, you have to request that...or, perhaps request NOT to have it, if they are trying to "sneak" in a higher price room to make the resort more money. I'm not saying they do that, but in previous times when I have booked, when they give me the total, they include vacation insurance, which I did NOT ask for, to which I have to reply that I don't want it. And when I booked the current trip we are planning, they defaulted to the Deluxe Dining Plan even though I only want the regular. So it wouldn't surprise me any if they tried to sneak in a higher priced room and leave it up to you to specify the cheaper one.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

If you're talking about a specific section, such as the Cabanas at Coronado vs the Casitas or Ranchos, or Alligator Bayou at POR as opposed to Magnolia, etc, you can tell them on the phone when you book your reservation, of that preference. To cover their own behinds, they will tell you that they can't guarantee that, but they will make a note of it on the reservation. When we stayed at POR, we requested Magnolia Bend and got it both times.

However, when we stayed at Coronado Springs this past April, I made no request regarding which section and when we checked in, they didn't ask. We were just randomly assigned an available room in the Casitas.

So getting back to your question, from my personal experience, it seems that if you don't make any specific requests, they just randomly assign you a room in a random section of the resort. And, of course, as a previous poster stated, rooms that cost more, such as particular views, King beds, or whatever, you have to request that...or, perhaps request NOT to have it, if they are trying to "sneak" in a higher price room to make the resort more money. I'm not saying they do that, but in previous times when I have booked, when they give me the total, they include vacation insurance, which I did NOT ask for, to which I have to reply that I don't want it. And when I booked the current trip we are planning, they defaulted to the Deluxe Dining Plan even though I only want the regular. So it wouldn't surprise me any if they tried to sneak in a higher priced room and leave it up to you to specify the cheaper one.

*Slightly deviating from the topic, but regarding the dining plan: When you ask for DDP, their default is to assign it based on your resort. Deluxe resort sets you up with deluxe DDP by default, moderate resorts get the standard DDP, and value resorts get the quick-service.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster

When I booked and paid for our reservation, the description was Tower - Theme Park View with either two queen beds or king size bed. I mentioned to the CM that I would like a king and she said it would be noted in my reservation but it wasn't guaranteed. She also mentioned that the Contemporary did not have many king-size beds anyway. We normally stay at the GF or BC and never had any problem with our request. We'll see in September, but no matter what I'm thankful just to be in WDW! :D

Upvote 0

sbkline

*Slightly deviating from the topic, but regarding the dining plan: When you ask for DDP, their default is to assign it based on your resort. Deluxe resort sets you up with deluxe DDP by default, moderate resorts get the standard DDP, and value resorts get the quick-service.

Ah, that explains it! We're tentatively booked for the Wilderness Lodge, so what you said makes sense.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster

That makes sense. I guess that's why it's important to state to the CM exactly what you desire and have them repeat the quote and what is included. I've looked at my reservation numerous time to make sure everything was correct.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I think you misunderstood the question. The question was about online CHECK-IN, not making the reservation online. Disney has had a system for about the last 14 months or so where you can go online up to 10 days prior to your arrival and do a sort of pre-check-in, which is supposed to expedite the in-person check-in experience at the front desk itself. The OP, in this instance, wasn't asking about getting prices, but rather whether or not Disney's online check-in process can help with room selection.

Disney call center CMs are not empowered to lower the price of anything. They can't decide to knock a few bucks off a package for you. What you can do as a shrewd customer is know all of the different room categories and all of the different available discounts.

Some CMs are more forthcoming than others regarding what discounts may be available. But it's not like a CM can feel generous and just decide to give you a better price if such a discount is not available in the first place.

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

When a family checks in at the resort counter, how are the rooms assigned? If a family puts a special request in, for example, specific view, building, or queen/king, is it first come first serve? Or are the rooms assigned within a certain amount of days before actual check-in based on when the reservation was made and the resorts fill the special request first?

I've been wondering about these exact same questions for a while now, I don't believe they have been answered up to this point.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I've been wondering about these exact same questions for a while now, I don't believe they have been answered up to this point.
This is the way it was explained to me. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong as the info I have is quite old.

Rooms are typically assigned a few days before you arrive.

Requests due to a medical need are honored first. (ie ground floor due to wheel chair)

Requests are then honored in the order that they were received. Some requests will not be honored due to operational needs of the resort but with resorts almost always near 100% occupancy that is rare.

Rooms with no requests are then assigned based on operational needs of the resort.

One note....It is important to remember that some requests can not be honored simply because what you are asking for does not exist or it is a separate room category. (ie booking a standard view at PORS and requesting a king bed or requesting queen beds at a value resort)

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
This is the way it was explained to me. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong as the info I have is quite old.

Rooms are typically assigned a few days before you arrive.

Requests due to a medical need are honored first. (ie ground floor due to wheel chair)

Requests are then honored in the order that they were received. Some requests will not be honored due to operational needs of the resort but with resorts almost always near 100% occupancy that is rare.

Rooms with no requests are then assigned based on operational needs of the resort.

One note....It is important to remember that some requests can not be honored simply because what you are asking for does not exist or it is a separate room category. (ie booking a standard view at PORS and requesting a king bed or requesting queen beds at a value resort)

Thanks for the helpful information. Do you recommend checking in through the online system 10 days before arrival date? Also, would calling the resort a few days before arrival inquiring about our room be ridiculous?

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the helpful information. Do you recommend checking in through the online system 10 days before arrival date? Also, would calling the resort a few days before arrival inquiring about our room be ridiculous?
Because you room request (king bed in the tower) is so hard to get I would forgo checking in online although I do not know with 100% certainty that it will make even the slightest difference which way you check in. Calling might be futile but I would give it a shot as I know how important this request is to you. By policy they are not allowed to take any room requests by phone of fax. If you call you will more than likely be transfered to the reservation center but you might get lucky and get a more seasoned CM that will ignore policy and check into it.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
Because you room request (king bed in the tower) is so hard to get I would forgo checking in online although I do not know with 100% certainty that it will make even the slightest difference which way you check in. Calling might be futile but I would give it a shot as I know how important this request is to you. By policy they are not allowed to take any room requests by phone of fax. If you call you will more than likely be transfered to the reservation center but you might get lucky and get a more seasoned CM that will ignore policy and check into it.

Thank you so much! I heard that the Contemporary has 3 king beds (not counting club level) in the Tower w/theme park view. I'm not going to sweat it, however it works out it will still be incredible. I'm lucky/grateful just to be able to stay there.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster

The only advantages I know of are letting the resort know you are indeed coming and making the check in process at the counter easier & shorter waiting time.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

When you check in online you get the chance to make any additional requests you would like. I don't see how it is much different than calling and doing the same.

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

When you check in online you get the chance to make any additional requests you would like. I don't see how it is much different than calling and doing the same.

We are staying at the Yacht Club (standard room) and had AAA request a king size bed when we made the reservations. I did the online check in a few days ago but I wasn't able to make the additional requests. A couple check boxes with options such as refrigerator and pack and play in the room were there, but no where for me to request the king size bed again.

I guess I feel a little better knowing that the room assignments are done by computer a few days out. My concern was that they are made on the spot by the CM and whether or not you get your request is at the whim of that CM.

Last time we made the (ridiculous) request of a king size bed at Pop on an upper floor, preferably away from the pool. What we got were double beds on the ground floor facing the pool. I was thinking that the CM just didn't like us or something. Hopefully they'll honor the request for the king size bed at YC, it is our honeymoon after all.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
We are staying at the Yacht Club (standard room) and had AAA request a king size bed when we made the reservations. I did the online check in a few days ago but I wasn't able to make the additional requests. A couple check boxes with options such as refrigerator and pack and play in the room were there, but no where for me to request the king size bed again.

I guess I feel a little better knowing that the room assignments are done by computer a few days out. My concern was that they are made on the spot by the CM and whether or not you get your request is at the whim of that CM.

Last time we made the (ridiculous) request of a king size bed at Pop on an upper floor, preferably away from the pool. What we got were double beds on the ground floor facing the pool. I was thinking that the CM just didn't like us or something. Hopefully they'll honor the request for the king size bed at YC, it is our honeymoon after all.

In Sept '08 we stayed at the BC and paid for a standard room and requested a king size bed. The resort had no problem fulfilling our request. Have a magical honeymoon!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor

When you book a specific room view you are guarenteed that room view. The food chain of who gets taken care of by the room assigner is as follows; Grand Gatherings, families with multiple rooms ai connecting rooms then it goes to the indiviual reservations which have specific requests for a special bedding, area, etc.

Checking in online and making a reservation with a castmember (representative) are two totally different things. The online system and calling in are the same system. You choose the components of the package that you want in your package. As far as talking to different agents to manipulate a lower price????
You cannot get a lower price unless you know of a discounted offer and you specifically ask the castmember for that discount. Disney's pricing is the same across the board so you will not get a different price if you get a different agent. And you cannot request a specific agent when you call. They cannot accomodate this type of request since there are several different call centers that take the calls.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom