Room Assignments at check-in

disneycouple07

When a family checks in at the resort counter, how are the rooms assigned? If a family puts a special request in, for example, specific view, building, or queen/king, is it first come first serve? Or are the rooms assigned within a certain amount of days before actual check-in based on when the reservation was made and the resorts fill the special request first?

Also, what are the advantages of checking in through the online system.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
This is the way it was explained to me. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong as the info I have is quite old.

Rooms are typically assigned a few days before you arrive.

Requests due to a medical need are honored first. (ie ground floor due to wheel chair)

Requests are then honored in the order that they were received. Some requests will not be honored due to operational needs of the resort but with resorts almost always near 100% occupancy that is rare.

Rooms with no requests are then assigned based on operational needs of the resort.

One note....It is important to remember that some requests can not be honored simply because what you are asking for does not exist or it is a separate room category. (ie booking a standard view at PORS and requesting a king bed or requesting queen beds at a value resort)

To add to Richards rundown. Grand Gatherings take priority after the handicapped rooms, then it goes to families with multiple rooms ai connecting then to the individual reservations with specific requests.
Again requests are just that requests and Disney will do everything that they can to honor your request but they do not guarentee it. If you want to guarentee a specific room view/type then it is best to purchase that room view/type when you make your original reservations.

Pam

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
When you purchase your vacation package, you can pay for certain features like special views, king size bed, etc etc. When you check in, the system automatically assigns you to a room with the default being two queen-sized beds with a standard view. The special rooms and views are reserved FIRST for those who PAY for them, but if there are openings at the time of check in they'll often upgrade you per your request on a first-come, first-served basis.

When you book a specific room view you are guarenteed that room view. The food chain of who gets taken care of by the room assigner is as follows; Grand Gatherings, families with multiple rooms ai connecting rooms then it goes to the indiviual reservations which have specific requests for a special bedding, area, etc.

I would recommend NOT checking in via the online system because you can often get lower prices when speaking to a representative on the phone. My suggestion would be to complete the reservation request online to get a "baseline" price, so that you know when you talk to an agent there is a price that you will not go above. Then, call a couple of times and talk to different agents. You can often manipulate a lower price if you're shrewd. Make notes of specific agents and the price that you're quoted, then call back and request the specific agent who offered the lowest price.

Checking in online and making a reservation with a castmember (representative) are two totally different things. The online system and calling in are the same system. You choose the components of the package that you want in your package. As far as talking to different agents to manipulate a lower price????
You cannot get a lower price unless you know of a discounted offer and you specifically ask the castmember for that discount. Disney's pricing is the same across the board so you will not get a different price if you get a different agent. And you cannot request a specific agent when you call. They cannot accomodate this type of request since there are several different call centers that take the calls.

Would "grand gathering" be birthday, anniversary, etc?

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Thank you so much! I heard that the Contemporary has 3 king beds (not counting club level) in the Tower w/theme park view. I'm not going to sweat it, however it works out it will still be incredible. I'm lucky/grateful just to be able to stay there.

Please keep in mind that at many of the resorts the king bed rooms are reserved for handicapped individuals in wheelchairs.

Pam

Upvote 0

Polyman

As far as online check in goes - - - I've been checking in online ever since the system was instituted. This may just be luck, but my room has always been ready, no matter how early I arrived. This includes vacation club villas paid for with points. I'm talking as early as 9:30am. Last year we got in around 10:00am and got the packet and the room was ready. Yet there were people right next to us in the normal check in line whose rooms were not ready. :shrug:

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
As far as online check in goes - - - I've been checking in online ever since the system was instituted. This may just be luck, but my room has always been ready, no matter how early I arrived. This includes vacation club villas paid for with points. I'm talking as early as 9:30am. Last year we got in around 10:00am and got the packet and the room was ready. Yet there were people right next to us in the normal check in line whose rooms were not ready. :shrug:

You are lucky! Our rooms have never been ready both at the GF and BC. Of course on our Honeymoon GF upgraded us to the main building on the 4th floor so I wasn't going to complain. On our first anniversary, BC held our bags while we had lunch and checked out the Boardwalk area. We waited forever and I gave in and called the front desk since it was getting close to our dining reservations and we needed to shower and change clothes. They gave us the room number but said the room wasn't ready yet. We went to check it out for ourselves and no one was there, it looked ready to us - so we helped ourselves in. This time, we will not be arriving to the Contemporary until that afternoon. We've paid for a MK view and requested king-size bed. DH is stubborn and didn't want to stay at Contemporary. He said if anything goes wrong there, we are moving to the Boardwalk. Which I don't know how moving resorts work anyway once the package is paid for and you've already checked in.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
I didn't realize you could receive different quotes. I will try it for my next trip.

Quotes should be the same no matter if you book through phone or online system. I find it easier to book by calling WDW. Somtimes the CM adds a different room view, dining plan or extra day of park tickets, maybe that's why the quotes are different. You have to be real specific when you call and obtain a quote.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Quotes should be the same no matter if you book through phone or online system. I find it easier to book by calling WDW. Somtimes the CM adds a different room view, dining plan or extra day of park tickets, maybe that's why the quotes are different. You have to be real specific when you call and obtain a quote.
That's why I prefer booking through the website or a TA. I know exactly what I'm getting, no added insurance or upgraded dining plan without telling me.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster
That's why I prefer booking through the website or a TA. I know exactly what I'm getting, no added insurance or upgraded dining plan without telling me.

Exactly! We add the trip insurance because of the hurricanes we have on the gulf coast :hurl:. It's alittle more than $100 and worth it in our situation. I'd rather be safe/prepared than sorry, especially traveling in Sept.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Exactly! We add the trip insurance because of the hurricanes we have on the gulf coast :hurl:. It's alittle more than $100 and worth it in our situation. I'd rather be safe/prepared than sorry, especially traveling in Sept.
Unless you book air through Disney also, it may not be worth it to you to pay for the trip insurance, IF your only reason for doing it is weather-related.

For a small change fee (something like $50), Disney will let you RESCHEDULE your reservation for a later time, even well into the future; it's only if you truly need to CANCEL that the insurance would be helpful.

Upvote 0

rpk4444

I've been faxing the resort two or three daysbefore I get there with my requests. I mostly just ask for a building, extra towels, and extra pillows.
It has seemed to work most of the time.
Is there someone at each resort that actually reads these?

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I've been faxing the resort two or three daysbefore I get there with my requests. I mostly just ask for a building, extra towels, and extra pillows.

The resorts have requested not to receive phone calls/faxes for room requests and that everything just be noted on the reservation through CRO or WDTC. If you fax the resort you have just a good a chance of them throwing it away as you do getting it on the reservation.

Upvote 0

disneycouple07

Original Poster

Hey, whatever works for you. I've heard that the resorts are so overwhelmed with phone calls/faxes that some don't even bother reading them. I know by checking in online, you request certain things.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

You are lucky! Our rooms have never been ready both at the GF and BC. Of course on our Honeymoon GF upgraded us to the main building on the 4th floor so I wasn't going to complain. On our first anniversary, BC held our bags while we had lunch and checked out the Boardwalk area. We waited forever and I gave in and called the front desk since it was getting close to our dining reservations and we needed to shower and change clothes. They gave us the room number but said the room wasn't ready yet. We went to check it out for ourselves and no one was there, it looked ready to us - so we helped ourselves in. This time, we will not be arriving to the Contemporary until that afternoon. We've paid for a MK view and requested king-size bed. DH is stubborn and didn't want to stay at Contemporary. He said if anything goes wrong there, we are moving to the Boardwalk. Which I don't know how moving resorts work anyway once the package is paid for and you've already checked in.

We actually did this last year when we were staying at AKL. After one very horrible night of waiting over an hour and a half for a bus after MK closing... we went down to the front desk and asked to be moved to the Poly. The manager got on the phone with the Poly and got us a room. They sent someone up to our room to get our bags and gave us a valture for a taxie. I was actually shocked at how easy it was and how nice they were about the whole thing.

I hope the Contemporary works out, but know that you can change hotels if you need to.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hey, whatever works for you. I've heard that the resorts are so overwhelmed with phone calls/faxes that some don't even bother reading them. I know by checking in online, you request certain things.
What you can request online is very limited and if memory serves me correctly room location, bed type, etc are not among them. The only good way to make special requests is over the phone.

Upvote 0

TOTGuy

I never advise guests to Book through a TA. I work at a resort and I have often seen many screw-ups on a TA end. Often times we have to fix it when it wasn't our mistake in the first place.
This is how rooms are assigned.
We always try to get guests a clean and ready room upon arrival.
We do our best to honor requests but we remind guests that they are just that "requests". I have seen many a guest get up in arms about not getting their specific room. Sometimes things just aren't available (for example, requesting a view of the castle when you booked a Garden View). It doesn't matter if this is your 40th trip or your 1st. We won't inconvenience another guest just so you can get your way. There are only so many rooms that will fit requests.
Be specific about your requests. Requesting a "nice view" could be a nice view of a tree. "Room 3221" is way too specific.
And know the difference between connecting and adjoining!!! Connecting has a door, adjoining does not.
Sometimes if a guest has no requests they will be assigned a room to fill a hole or "lockout" between two reservations. For example a guest is staying in a room until the 5th, and there is a reservation blocked to go in that room on the 8th due to a medical need, we have two nights that are empty and are usually hard to fill. We will find a two night reservation and fill that hole. They then get a "Do not move!" comment placed on the reservation by room assignment who are the only ones allowed to move that room.
If a guest doesn't have a room assigned at C/I the system will automatically assign a clean and ready room upon arrival.
With the arrival of our new system, specific room descriptors will be placed on the rooms and reservations will be tagged with those requests so hopefully the system will automatically assign rooms based on requests.
Also if you ask for a free upgrade at check-in, don't get mad if one isn't available. Be happy with what you booked! :D Let me know if you have any more room questions.

We do read faxes. However we prefer you calling reservations and telling them. Then it will download with the reservation 10 days before C/I

As for moving resorts, it does happen. More than you would think. If it was our mess-up we often times will try to honor the rate if it is an upgrade. If it is just a personal choice to move, you will most likely need to pay the difference.

Upvote 0

dorothy_l

My previous experience was in Sept Last year, staying at POR-

I booked online but then called to request a room that was close to the main building because I was 7 months prego. Again, like many have said the CM said they will put the request on the reservation but no guarantees. I checked in online and highly recommend it. I had no wait compared to the long line of people that were checking in there. When we did pick up our packet and room keys I asked again to make sure if my request had been granted....they said there was no request attached to my reservation...but were very fast to change rooms for me and gave me my requested room. Even with the room change it took no more than 3-4 minutes to get checked in vs. waiting in line and then waiting for everything to printed out, signed, verified...etc.

Hope this helps....this was just my experience and we have planned do the same thing in September this year (check in online) oh but minus the prego.....and +1 baby

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom