Rollercoaster Advice | Summer 2022 Amusement Park Review and Ideas

spacemt354

Chili's
6bz83SR.jpg

No No No Nooooo.... I had it all planned out!

I had it all planned out that I was going to dislike this ride - I was only doing it for the credit, but it was the most intense ride of the day...and I actually kinda liked it!

This was formally Mind Eraser - rethemed to fit the DC Universe land that reminded me of Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story taking up a huge chunk of DHS.
1280px-Six_Flags_New_England_Mind_Eraser_Entrance.jpg

It's a model of a suspended looping coaster - built by Vekoma, the double corkscrew at the end is really something I have not experienced before - I was definitely dizzy after this - but at least I was having a better day than the guy 2 rows in front of me threatening to puke 🤣

3JlcCdT.jpg

WEjhz8O.jpg

More scenery - honestly maybe my expectations were low - but there's a 50s themed area, a Western area, a DC area, a Bugs Bunny area - and a Hurricane Harbor - this is quite the park!
SlPzGfB.jpg
pxpBrzz.jpg

Next up was Thunderbolt - the oldest wooden coaster still in operation at a Six Flags park -- rough, but historically very cool!

GFyecQJ.jpg

rdr2N1P.jpg

Final Wrap up coming soon! Hope you enjoyed the pictures so far

spacemt354

Chili's
Quick last few thoughts

Batman: The Dark Knight was a solid but predictable B&M floorless, probably my most underwhelming ride of the day

Catwoman's Whip is a Zierer whip coaster - it did its thing

Gotham City Gauntlet was a wild mouse attraction with a similar layout to other wild mouse coasters, no spinning on this one, it was merely a credit.

@ThemeParkPriest recommended Houdini, a Vekoma Madhouse - I wasn't able to get on it today but I can do it at Great Adventure as well!

The only 3 I wasn't able to do was The Joker (it's a clone from Great Adventure) Flashback, a Vekoma Boomerang (wasn't my cup of tea) Pandemonium, a Gerstlauer steel spinner

I instead used the extra time for re-rides on Superman and Wicked Cyclone before they both subsequently broke down - then grabbed some lunch at a nice Boston themed restaurant JB's Roadhouse - had a good pulled pork sandwich!

MLF0sma.jpg

Coaster Rankings

1. Superman - The Ride
2. Wicked Cyclone
3. The Riddler Revenge
4. Thunderbolt
5. Batman: The Dark Knight
6. Catwoman's Whip
7. Gotham City Gauntlet

Overall - this park was such a pleasant surprise and if you're ever in the New England area - I would definitely try to make the trip as that's partly the issue is it's in western MA but within driving distance from cities like Boston, eastern NY, and CT!

It really felt like the 'Disneyland' of Six Flags Parks! Quaint, charming, and a lot of fun!
N8cBfGX.jpg

JokersWild

I grew up going to Six Flags New England so it’s great seeing someone discovering it and enjoying it as much as I do. Your rankings are mostly in line with mine, though I’d probably rank Thunderbolt above Riddler’s Revenge.

What they did to Catwoman’s Whip is a crime. Talk about theming, it used to be called Poison Ivy and was themed to an episode of Batman: The Animated Series. The coaster train was themed to Bruce Wayne’s limo (as I think it still is) and the track was made to look like Poison Ivy’s vines. That’s why the area surrounding the coaster is overgrown.

You weren’t missing much in not doing Houdini. Great Adventure absolutely has the superior version, though it’s interesting to see the stripped down version. And Pandemonium is a great spinning coaster. The queue is atrocious, but the ride is a lot of fun. Blizzard River is another thematic highlight. I don’t remember there being a ton on the ride itself, but the queue is pretty well themed for a Six Flags.

Glad you enjoyed the park!

D Hulk

I ain’t yet been to SFNE (one of these days…), but of the Six Flags I’ve been too, my quick pick for coziest, prettiest, most themed, most Disneylandiest choice goes to SF Fiesta Texas in San Antonio. Nice theming from before Six Flags acquired them, maintained through today by a uniquely passionate local manager, with wonderful use of surrounding quarry rock walls and waterfalls to plus the environs. Not to mention a few really fun coasters, including two whole RMCs. One of those, Iron Rattler, quietly climbed into my Top Ten last year on my first visit, thanks in part to the single most violent ejector airtime moment I know of. Cliff dive for life!

91E8B6C4-03D6-4F11-B1B8-5D1C0865580D.jpeg

E9D684A7-0674-4C88-9E99-23472858143F.jpeg

4BA80522-C761-4820-8BCA-E5C79445BEF0.jpeg

96E4B204-CD07-41C7-9A54-D034026C7B86.jpeg

1D763ECD-6852-441E-BC76-FD0442D4CD7C.jpeg

25E7AE22-0FD5-4DD8-9643-0E65FD960EA7.jpeg

F5F34E94-3097-475F-ABA7-D843C11D2D9F.jpeg

1930B956-69AA-4782-8E88-AEEFDB9E55EC.jpeg

Mickeynerd17

Original Poster
However - this is a 'mild' RMC compared to some of the others around the country - this experience just makes me want to go ride things like Iron Gwazi right now! Because my gosh if this is a mild version, I could only imagine what that is like.
Sounds similar to Twisted Cyclone at SFGA. Complete adrenaline rush but not too crazy.

Now, in comparison, Steel Vengeance is Twisted Cyclone (and most likely your Wicked Cyclone) on crack. Take every kind of inversion and amp it up 10000%. Extremely addicting yet quite chaotic! I'd LOVE to try Iron Gwazi now, and my next Florida trip will very likely be either USO or BGT for the first time in my life.

spacemt354

Chili's
Sounds similar to Twisted Cyclone at SFGA. Complete adrenaline rush but not too crazy.

Now, in comparison, Steel Vengeance is Twisted Cyclone (and most likely your Wicked Cyclone) on crack. Take every kind of inversion and amp it up 10000%. Extremely addicting yet quite chaotic! I'd LOVE to try Iron Gwazi now, and my next Florida trip will very likely be either USO or BGT for the first time in my life.
I'm really interested in your final rankings and thoughts!

Disney Warrior

My visit to lake compounce was hard to describe. Boulder Dash was an amazing coaster (but it was the only coaster I rode, I was too scared to ride the other coasters and I didn’t want to ride Wildcat). I had a fun time, though I’m disappointed with some things, namely the tamer water park additions (I was slightly tired after riding BD), I did enjoy many of the flat rides (including the dark ride, I didn’t ride the disko, Ferris wheel, drop tower, or any kiddie rides). The drop tower was down, ironically. It was a cool park

spacemt354

Chili's
Dorney Park
Quick Review

My first Cedar Fair park!
20220710_092613.jpg

Just got back from a very pleasant day at Dorney Park - it's my first of hopefully many more planned Cedar Fair parks this year. Based on previous research this park was ranked consecutively towards the bottom of the Cedar Fair parks, yet despite knowing that I went in with minimal expectations and was for the most park quite pleased!

Wasn't as blown away as the Six Flags New England adventure from a few days ago, nevertheless, I would return to this park in the future. It's charming enough albeit not particularly identifiable among the Cedar Fair parks - it has a lot of elements one would see at Cedar Fair parks kind of mashed together.

I would say this park would benefit from a focus on its history. There are certain sections of the park particularly down by Thunderhawk and Steel Force that were absolutely beautiful and it had several historical signs throughout that gave the history of the park - including Alfundo the Clown
20220710_115102.jpg

20220710_115045.jpg

The coaster lineup in a park such as Cedar Point or Kings Island - might be mid-tier, as the 'stand-out' coaster in the park, Steel Force, is a Morgan Hypercoaster that offers some nice airtime moments particularly in the bunny hills as you approach the station, but is pretty rough in comparison to more modern coasters.

The smoothest coaster in the park was Talon - the layout was somewhat unique for an inverted B&M, but I would say the forces were relatively tame. Probably my 2nd favorite in the park

Hydra the Revenge was another B&M, this time a floorless coaster, that has what's known as a 'Jojo roll' right out of the station - that was most definitely the stand-out portion of all the rides I was on today. I was not expecting that feeling, it's hard to describe.

Thunderhawk, the park's centennial wooden coaster, was pretty rough, and Possessed the park's Intamin Impulse coaster - was my first of the kind - that was very intense! Especially in the back wow!

The park is also very hilly to get from Talon and Steel Force requires one to lug themselves up a relatively steep slope, which I found tiresome as the park has plenty of room to expand if given the proper funds. This has the potential to be a 'destination' type park in the future as it has all the elements of great scenery, locale, cleanliness, and pleasant ambiance - I just think it needs a bit more in the coaster department.

Coaster Rankings

1. Steel Force
2. Talon
3. Hydra the Revenge
4. Thunderhawk
5. Possessed

20220710_113431.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Ah what's pretty cool too checking some of my tallies - Steel Force was my 50th coaster credit! I'm up to a total of 52 now.

I realize that's a low number compared to avid enthusiasts but considering I've mostly been to Disney parks and my home Six Flags before these endeavors I'm sure that number will continue to climb as everything is a new credit!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom