Rocket Rods

WDWFanatic

I still havent heard anything yet. I'm still wondering why they put that rocket rod vehicle in california adventure in the hollywood pictures area. It doesent go with anything there.:veryconfu

NowInc

Originally posted by WDWFanatic
I still havent heard anything yet. I'm still wondering why they put that rocket rod vehicle in california adventure in the hollywood pictures area. It doesent go with anything there.:veryconfu

I agree...they should of auctioned it off ;)

Lost Boy

1. The car on display at the Hollywood Backlot of DCA is with other movie car type vehicles so it fits in perfectly as a futuristic mode of transportation.

2. There is nothing on the tracks at all. Empy. Zip. All the stuff from the loading area is either gone or covered or just sitting there. The que line bulding is empy and just sitting there.

3. The stupid fountain thing is also closed for good. The big marble ball rotating on the water is still there, rotating away. But the fountains have been turned off as the clorine content of the water had gotten so high that it was destroying the rubber matting that was used to keep people from slipping and falling. I for one am glad it is off as the smell alone was enough to keep you away from that whole area. And it was just stupid to take up so much room for a fountain thingee in such a cramped area.

4. There is not much left operating in Tomorrowland anymore. Just Star Tours (when they open it), Honey I Shrunk the Audience (which is already in need of serious repair work), the Astro Orbiter at the entrence, The new Autopia and Innvenetions (which is a big yawn anyway). The rumor now is that they have to shut the whole place down and completely redo it and before the big 50th birthday. I wish them well. If only Pressler could be gotten out of the way, maybe they could put something nice in this area. But he was the one that eventually killed the New Tomorrowland with his constant budget cuts.:hurl:

WDWFanatic

What other movie type cars ended up over there? All i rember is the hot rod at the drive in.

Tomorrowland definately needs something Id say bring back the people mover just because it was there before. Make it something a little nicer. What about a retro look? I was watching the disneyland opening on dvd yesterday. Wow did it look different. I wonder what the did with the big TWA rocket.

ShanenLuvsDsny

Originally posted by Lost Boy
4. There is not much left operating in Tomorrowland anymore. Just Star Tours (when they open it), Honey I Shrunk the Audience (which is already in need of serious repair work), the Astro Orbiter at the entrence, The new Autopia and Innvenetions (which is a big yawn anyway). The rumor now is that they have to shut the whole place down and completely redo it and before the big 50th birthday. I wish them well. If only Pressler could be gotten out of the way, maybe they could put something nice in this area. But he was the one that eventually killed the New Tomorrowland with his constant budget cuts.:hurl:
What about Space Mountain? That's still there, isn't it?

Lost Boy

Oh yea. I totally forgot about Space Mountain. Duh. Only now the music hardly ever works anymore. Even after FedEx complained about the condition of the ride. (The Sponser took a surprise visit after the folks at Dole called them and told them the sorry condition that Tiki Room was in. FedEx raised Holy H@$$ over the sorry looking state of Space Mountain and it was cleaned up. For awhile.)

And in reply about Rocket Rods Vehicles. You are right that there is only one other car there. But it is being invaded by space monsters, so the Rocket Rod sort of fits in a futureistic transportation. (I know, I'm pushing it here. But I happen to like DCA. And I thought Rocket Rods was stupid beause Paul Pressler cut Tony Baxter's budget on this (and other attractions) over and over until Rocket Rods was nothing like it was supposed to be. Believe me, if the budget had not been axed, Rocket Rods would have been a premeire attraction. But it was not to be.) Sigh. :(

CalDisney

Originally posted by ShanenLuvsDsny

What about Space Mountain? That's still there, isn't it?

Yes Space mountain is still there ,They now take your picture at the end of the ride.
I heard a Rumor that the rocket Rod/People mover
Tracks have stress cracks in them and the Cement towers are cracked as well.
They were going to remove the towers ,Which means No Rides:( No rocket Rods or people movers

The last time I was a DL last Sunday
I went on the Monorail and you could see the Center rail used for the Rocket rods was all Rusted.
I hope that they Do add Something new to tomorrowland
Because if thats what the Future Holds??

count me out!!

PS: I read that They were thinking of changing the Track on Space mountain and Making it like the one in Disneyland Paris!

ShanenLuvsDsny

Well Space Mountain is closed for refurbishments right now, for at least a month,(i think) so maybe it'll be all fixed up and the music will be working again when it opens. :)

adr315

If these 50th Anniversery changes do happen, i see Space Mountain getting the Rock-N-Rollercoaster track system by Vekoma, with the theming of the Space Mountain in Paris. I think the RNRC track would be easier to install in a pre-existing building then the SM from Paris......either this, or a brand new track altogether.....

SL 1993 R

A couple months ago, Disney was selling "Rocket Rods" on ebay. Not scaled down models, but the actual cars. I talked with a cast member when the RR were running and was talking to them about the wait. The conversation turned to reliablity and at that time 17 of the 31 or 32 cars were left. They were having frame failures. The cast member also spoke of the stress that was taking place on the track, as it wasn't designed for as it was being used. Overall the RR were under developed and the budget cut lead to its ultimate demise..

WDWFanatic

Budget cuts due to General motors pulling out of sponsorship of the ride because test track was very late opening and GM had put alot of money into advertising for that opening. So they werent happy about that and decided not to sponsor rocket rods.

Walt148

Space Moutain

:( I know this off the subject but o well. I hope they do not turn SM into DLP style. I love the way it is now. Plus I am not a upside down coaster kind of guy.

ToTBellHop

Rocket Rods should have never been placed there. I am in fact glad it got budget cuts, because regardless of theming, the ride system would have eroded away at the support system and it would have been an even bigger waste of money for disney. I don't understand why no one ever thought to test the supports before the started building the ride...

Figment1986

Rocket rods could have worked, If only they spent more money and got a sponsor for it. Reinforced the track and supports, banked the curves/turns, and instead if a motor on the car They could have use lim motors on the track, it would have worked that way.

But Disney didn't want to spend the cash, or find another sponsor to help build it, so DL got stuck with the tame version of Rocket Rods. But it was their problem and not anyone else’s cause in general,

I believe their Tomorrow Land rehab was a failure, but the one at WDW, which got rehabbed in the early 90's it still a success. Maybe Disney should put a new version of alien encounter over at DL. That's my opinion anyway. It is a hug crowd pleasure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom