rocket rods

BigThunder4ever

since i never got to ride it because my first trip to DL was last year i watched the movie and from that it looks cool. If disney would just invest some money and fix the track and the supports it would be fine. I think they should get rid of the wed way people mover and put rocket rods in at wdw. Well that is my opinion mainly because i never went on the ride and just watched the movie.
Adam :D

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by BigThunder4ever
since i never got to ride it because my first trip to DL was last year i watched the movie and from that it looks cool. If disney would just invest some money and fix the track and the supports it would be fine. I think they should get rid of the wed way people mover and put rocket rods in at wdw. Well that is my opinion mainly because i never went on the ride and just watched the movie.

There is no need to do that. Disney World already is getting Rocket Rods. It goes by the name Time Racer at Epcot--same ride system, only on a well-themed ride.

Testtrack321

I think Rocket Rods was a great idea, but through budget cuts and some issues, it turned from a great thrill ride idea to a poor ride. If they banked the curves and tried to make the cars *quiteter* then this ride would have been a hit and easaly smashed Test Track as the best of this type of ride.

AndyMagic

Re: Re: rocket rods

Originally posted by DogsRule!
There is no need to do that. Disney World already is getting Rocket Rods. It goes by the name Time Racer at Epcot--same ride system, only on a well-themed ride.
Really? I wasn't aware that Time Racers is going to use Test Track/Rocket Rods technology. Is there any more juicy info on Time Racers you can tell us? :slurp:

ToTBellHop

Re: Re: Re: rocket rods

Originally posted by AndyMagic
Really? I wasn't aware that Time Racers is going to use Test Track/Rocket Rods technology. Is there any more juicy info on Time Racers you can tell us? :slurp:
Other than the fact that Microsoft is footing the $100+million tab, nothing until the official press release is made.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by BigThunder4ever

The one in WDW is not called the Wed way people mover anymore. It's called the Tomorrowland Transit Authority or TTA. I love the TTA. It's so nice. I don't think rockett rods would be able to fit into the WDW TTA. There's just no room and the corners aren't big enough for banks. I know it was your opinion, but I just wanted to point this out.

SONiCSenshi

I would like to keep my TTA and if you think about it Test Track is pretty much a better version of Rocket Rods, it does every thing RR did and more with a lot better themeing. If you really want to know what Rocket Rods was like, ride Test Track and when you climb the side of the mountain and the car speeds up and slows down then speeds up again and slows down again and then speeds up you can almost feel like you are aboard a Rocket Rod vehicle. ^_^

triparkal

Originally posted by SONiCSenshi
Actually our Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom Park (we are not WDW's Disneyland)

huh?! yeah we are!
Dude, i work at both MK and DL. It's almost the same freakin' place.
But i agree, Rocket Rods was pretty cool. And i'd really like to find video of the moving TTA logo from that ride.
-john v

CalDisney

Ok!
I must be weird
I liked riding RR I never got stuck on the tracks
The noise it made when it passed overhead Reminded me of a Hemi Motor with a Sweet sounding Gear Drive.
I Didn`t mind waiting in the long line ( And believe me I hate long lines)
Ask Tigggrl!

I liked the Take off and when the ride came to a end There was a Blast of air Very Cool!

The only Time I ever saw anything wrong was when this Guy sat in the front seat It didnt do a Wheely on takeoff. Maybe his Weight had something to do with it 375
Yes they were breaking down, But not the times I rode it.
I wish they could bring back some of those Great rides
I miss the Motor boats, Subs,Peoplemover, and the Old Autopia Track and Cars.
But it is Supposed to be Tomorrowland... Time marches on.:D

jrashadb

Yeah...
I dunno... that ride looks pretty sweet, actually. Kinda like the outside part of TT, just 3 minutes of it. I'm sure it didn't go as fast, but it still looks like it was a load of fun. However, looking at it, I have to ask... what were they thinking.
I mean, look at the track. Look at all the tight curves and such on that track. that stuff was fine for the peoplemover, but not for a high-speed ride. I like the idea, I just thing the execution seemed pretty crappy.

Timekeeper

?

I don't get it. Disney has professional engineers with 30 years of experience come and and create a ride, test it, double test it, triple test it, yet it still fails and we speculate as to design reasons (such as banked curves.) Well, why didn't the pro's address this issue? Even those remote control race kits, the ones where you race another matchbox-size car on a twin track, had banked curves in their design - and those things have been around for 20 years.

Also, the "wheelee" feature (which was only used at the beginning of the ride?) seems like an extra moving part not necessary to the ride which means that it's an extra part prone to wear and break down. Why not simplify the mechanisms and lose the unnecessary hydrolics?

I'm not an engineer or physicist, but I know that those types of people were involved in the creation of the ride. Also, that ride was relatively recent, thus modern technology was available to its creation. So what the heck went wrong? Rocket rods and the tower of terror (mgm studios) were built at around the same time... yet tower is lightyears ahead in design and endurence.

There must be some "inside" information about the rocket rods story that we don't know about and probably won't ever know about. I just wish I knew.

Tk

DCA Fan

That's absolutely right TK, there are many stories.

1) Key word budget. To the point, RR used the same technology as TT, however, it did not receive sponsorship.

2) Communication. The program used for RR was constantly bug-prone, as it was made by a company that later went bankrupt.

3) Accountants and Disney execs are not imagineers. They don't think right. RR is a fine example. Had they invested more into the project, it may have remained open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom