RnRc Retheme?

Twirlnhurl

1726426980887.gif

I could see Powerline working. I'd be curious to know how popular A Goofy Movie (1995) is on Disney Plus. But I see a fair bit of fan merchandise on guests in the parks, and it does kind of seem like something that the modern Disney company might do.

I mostly think it is unlikely, though.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

Just a thought - why are people so sure that when/if the Aerosmith tie-in goes the coaster will still be music-themed and called Rock 'n Roller Coaster?

I believe the thinking is that’s the quick/cheap option, and would simultaneously have a lot of appeal if replaced with a popular artist/band, plus the ride seems designed to have the artist/band swapped out.

That said, I don’t see too much precedent for something like this—unless maybe you count Star Tours 2.0 and what they’re now doing with Smuggler’s Run, and perhaps Soarin’, and maybe Test Track? But 3/4 of those are screen-based, and the fourth is a sponsor-related reason.

If RnRC is truly re-themed, I just hope it doesn’t damage the visuals of Sunset Boulevard and the experience of approaching Tower of Terror. The original RnRC designers were so careful to make sure it was set back from the boulevard, didn’t detract from ToT, etc. I hope the current Imagineers and management understand how valuable that is.

Marc Davis Fan

Whatever they would do, I'd imagine they would prefer to keep the cars they have.
So something where a limo works with the theme.

Changing the vehicle decor (not necessarily the complete design) is actually one of the changes I do hope they make, though. Being asked to pretend that a pretty standard coaster train on a visible track is actually a car just feels way too “Six Flags” and not immersive enough. And of course, the same goes for the cartoon flats in the gravity building. Even “auto-theming” it as a band’s roller coaster creation (a la the version they had at WDSP) would be a huge step up in immersion (though obviously still suboptimal), IMHO.

Incomudro

Changing the vehicle decor (not necessarily the complete design) is actually one of the changes I do hope they make, though. Being asked to pretend that a pretty standard coaster train on a visible track is actually a car just feels way too “Six Flags” and not immersive enough. And of course, the same goes for the cartoon flats in the gravity building. Even “auto-theming” it as a band’s roller coaster creation (a la the version they had at WDSP) would be a huge step up in immersion (though obviously still suboptimal), IMHO.
My thought is that for budgetary reasons Disney would probably prefer to not reskin the cars.
The car thing actually works quite well for me.

Marc Davis Fan

My thought is that for budgetary reasons Disney would probably prefer to not reskin the cars.
The car thing actually works quite well for me.

Yeah, even if re-skinning the trains themselves wouldn't be particularly high-budget, a big associated cost would be changing the whole "alley" scene - unless the new vehicle theme were something else that makes sense in an alley!

Marc Davis Fan

Since Incredibles is indeed being considered (per insider), and is likely the leading proposal...

I'm optimistic about this concept for a few reasons:
  • It allows them to maintain the "Rock n' Roller Coaster" archway or reconfigure it to the Midcentury Modern (ish) version at the entrance to DCA's Incredicoaster, either of which would not severely undercut the arch's careful placement that was done to avoid distracting from the Tower of Terror approach experience. Honestly, this is my biggest concern about anything touching RnRC. My fingers are crossed that they don't extend the entrance further into Sunset Boulevard, and that they don't make the new archway too much larger or more colorful.
  • Incredicoaster is "auto-themed," that is, it's themed to be a roller coaster. This basically allows it to be "prima facie immersive." On the one hand, auto-theming is somewhat of a cheat, as it's never going to be exceptionally creative or emotionally compelling. On the other hand, it's better than a poor concept and/or poorly-executed attempt at immersion. I would argue that RnRc is both of the latter - it's not emotionally compelling to be riding in "a really fast car" through Los Angeles, and it's not believable since the vehicle is an obvious roller coaster train on a visible track while the "scenery" is flats of cartoon images. (I.e., it's not emotionally compelling like "a rocket through space," and it's not believable like "a train through the mountains.") So auto-theming - while inferior to something that's emotionally compelling or believable - is superior to pseudo-immersion that's neither. And if an indoor Incredicoaster allows for a roller coaster premise, the passable storyline of DCA's Incredicoaster, and hopefully an upgrade from the static figures of DCA's outdoor version, we've at least got a winner compared to RnRC.
That's just my thought anyway.

FigmentFan82

Since Incredibles is indeed being considered (per insider), and is likely the leading proposal...

I'm optimistic about this concept for a few reasons:
  • It allows them to maintain the "Rock n' Roller Coaster" archway or reconfigure it to the Midcentury Modern (ish) version at the entrance to DCA's Incredicoaster, either of which would not severely undercut the arch's careful placement that was done to avoid distracting from the Tower of Terror approach experience. Honestly, this is my biggest concern about anything touching RnRC. My fingers are crossed that they don't extend the entrance further into Sunset Boulevard, and that they don't make the new archway too much larger or more colorful.
  • Incredicoaster is "auto-themed," that is, it's themed to be a roller coaster. This basically allows it to be "prima facie immersive." On the one hand, auto-theming is somewhat of a cheat, as it's never going to be exceptionally creative or emotionally compelling. On the other hand, it's better than a poor concept and/or poorly-executed attempt at immersion. I would argue that RnRc is both of the latter - it's not emotionally compelling to be riding in "a really fast car" through Los Angeles, and it's not believable since the vehicle is an obvious roller coaster train on a visible track while the "scenery" is flats of cartoon images. (I.e., it's not emotionally compelling like "a rocket through space," and it's not believable like "a train through the mountains.") So auto-theming - while inferior to something that's emotionally compelling or believable - is superior to pseudo-immersion that's neither. And if an indoor Incredicoaster allows for a roller coaster premise, the passable storyline of DCA's Incredicoaster, and hopefully an upgrade from the static figures of DCA's outdoor version, we've at least got a winner compared to RnRC.
That's just my thought anyway.
Great points here! And with the out of left field D23 announcement of Incredibles 3 I think the rumor is very strong of a potential re-theme to Incredibles. And I think you could actually get away really well with that 1950s atomic retro-future look that Incredibles has all over it and work well on Sunset Blvd and adjacent to ToT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom