Riviera resort

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I loathe the resort so I'm not the person to talk to in that respect, but we found the MK and AK buses to be very efficient. We stayed in a Caribbean Beach building that was close to Riviera, so we would just take whichever bus showed up first. We ended up taking Riviera buses more often than Caribbean Beach buses.

zero creativity

Original Poster
I loathe the resort so I'm not the person to talk to in that respect, but we found the MK and AK buses to be very efficient. We stayed in a Caribbean Beach building that was close to Riviera, so we would just take whichever bus showed up first. We ended up taking Riviera buses more often than Caribbean Beach buses.
If you don’t mind me asking, what were the issues with the resort?

nickys

Premium Member
It's just very much not my style. Very nice, but no sense of fun, creativity, or whimsy. I've described it as "the Disney resort for rich old ladies who don't actually like Disney very much."
Charming! I’m certainly not rich and I love Disney, and not that old. 😉

Not that I’ve stayed there yet. But I am looking forward to seeing all the photos and artwork. But then I love memorabilia like that. And I love what I’ve seen of the decor in the rooms too, looks fun to me. 🤷‍♀️

zapple

I think Primo Piatto has the best QS breakfast of any disney resort, I think it’s better than most of the TS breakfasts (except Topolino’s, which is very pricey but very good). If you eat dinner at Topolino’s, skip dessert and get it instead from the cafe downstairs, the desserts are excellent there!

It’s a pretty compact resort, quite small for a disney resort, which is nice. But I wish it had another TS restaurant and they would bring back the full menus at primo and the pool bar, they’re still using limited menus since reopening.

You can wait a while to skyline to Epcot since they have to wait for an empty car to come by. I’ve never used the buses from there, but I don’t think they share with any other resort, which is unusual and should reduce the travel time.

I love staying there, I’ve stayed there 4 times and try to do at least one night every trip. Enjoy!

MikeyK72

I think Primo Piatto has the best QS breakfast of any disney resort, I think it’s better than most of the TS breakfasts (except Topolino’s, which is very pricey but very good). If you eat dinner at Topolino’s, skip dessert and get it instead from the cafe downstairs, the desserts are excellent there!

It’s a pretty compact resort, quite small for a disney resort, which is nice. But I wish it had another TS restaurant and they would bring back the full menus at primo and the pool bar, they’re still using limited menus since reopening.

You can wait a while to skyline to Epcot since they have to wait for an empty car to come by. I’ve never used the buses from there, but I don’t think they share with any other resort, which is unusual and should reduce the travel time.

I love staying there, I’ve stayed there 4 times and try to do at least one night every trip. Enjoy!
Primo Piatto has a delicious grilled chicken sandwich as well. I'm sure other resorts are this efficient too...but sitting poolside the mobile order experience was absolutely wonderful. Ordered lunch from our poolside lounge chairs, the app notified us when ready, and it was there waiting in a bag with our name on it for us to take right back to the chair. Really quick in and out since you pay from the app.

I agree with the Skyliner observation. The Riviera's station is a pass-through between Carribean Beach and Epcot so gondolas that are arriving and heading to Epcot have folks on them from CB. When originally designed, this wouldn't have been an issue because they could simply add folks to gondolas that weren't full. However with COVID restrictions they are running the gondolas with just one family in each...you have the gondola to yourself. This causes the problem because most gondolas coming from CB already have people in them...empty gondolas were few and far between. I would have thought that the CMs at CB would have sent maybe every 3rd or 4th gondola empty to account for this...but that didn't happen during our last trip. :(

If you're a jogger, you can jog the loop around the lake shared by Riviera and CB.

Topolino's Terrace is a wonderful place to have a cocktail. DW and I watched the sunset from the terrace and it was awesome.

Zé_Carioca

I personally love the Riviera. Would take time to walk around the resort and look at all the artwork they have, they're Disney inspired in different European art styles, simply stunning. The little cafe in the lobby (le petit cafe) is delicious and you can go for coffee in the morning and wine at night! Primo Piatto, the quick service has the best quick service food imo. Toppolinos is great for breakfast with amazing food (though hard to get reservations) and they have unique character costumes. Toppolinos is great for dinner too, but for a fancy occasion.

MikeyK72

I heard that going to the parks your shouldn’t take the sky liner right now because of the restrictions. Instead the bus is a better option.
From our experience, it wouldn't be both parks from Riviera...just Epcot. The Skyliner line to get DHS (via CB) passes through Riviera in the opposite direction and has people coming from Epcot...folks coming from the boardwalk area which didn't seem to be as many (at least in the morning)...so not as bad from what we've seen. But that all can change on any given day.

Lil Copter Cap

Riviera is lovely. Freshly made food for Quick Service and Table Service, it's own coffee café, rooftop bar + restaurant. The transportation to MK and AK by bus is like any other hotel. Skyliner access is quite wonderful. The rooms are gorgeous, albeit light on theming. I find the bathrooms to be immaculate.

I really hope you enjoy your stay! I think my own con from my experience is the smaller lobby, so certain times of day (check-in, early morning) can be a little overwhelming--but it adds to that hustle + bustle feel.

Kkar

We haven't stayed there, but have gone to Topolino's a few times for dinner (we're foodies and craft-cocktail fans). We always sit at the bar - the bartenders there are terrific! And sitting outdoors on the rooftop patio is also very nice, although the outdoor bar up there still wasn't open the last time we were there (mid-April).

tpoly88

Given the transportation situation due to Covid, i try to stay where i need the Disney transportation the least and that is the boardwalk area. the riviera is nice but feels like they stopped short on full france. the line for the skyliner sometimes is long as they will not fill the car but that might change in June as i believe all the covid restrictions are off in FL. not sure how disney will handle it. Their big issue in staffing right now, cant get anyone to work or cant get them back fast enough.

durangojim

We stayed there in a 2 bedroom in oct/nov and had a wonderful time. We enjoyed it enough that we’re staying there again for 12 nights during the summer. I will say that the preferred room views that we had were not worth the up charge. The coffe bar is very good and theees a cool little lounge around back that is travel and library themed that is fun to check out. We also enjoyed being able to go for a couple mile walk each morning around Caribbean Beach each morning. I think you’ll have a great time!

Heppenheimer

It's just very much not my style. Very nice, but no sense of fun, creativity, or whimsy. I've described it as "the Disney resort for rich old ladies who don't actually like Disney very much."
Or that think Olive Garden is an authentic Italian restaurant.

It might very well be a nice hotel, but it just doesn't sell the theme at all. And isn't that why you pay extra for a Disney hotel? The architecture of the French and Italian Riviera regions are so iconic that it seems a missed opportunity to not even try to incorporate some of the styles. Especially given that the latest Pixar movie looks like they created an almost exact virtual copy of the Cinque Terre.

UNCgolf

Or that think Olive Garden is an authentic Italian restaurant.

It might very well be a nice hotel, but it just doesn't sell the theme at all. And isn't that why you pay extra for a Disney hotel? The architecture of the French and Italian Riviera regions are so iconic that it seems a missed opportunity to not even try to incorporate some of the styles. Especially given that the latest Pixar movie looks like they created an almost exact virtual copy of the Cinque Terre.

This is the basic problem for me. It may very well be a nice hotel, but I can stay at much nicer hotels elsewhere for less than the price of a Riviera room. If I'm going to pay for a Disney deluxe hotel, I want something unique and the Riviera is far too similar to (although generally not as nice as) higher end hotels you can find in any major city -- even if they were offering me a free room at any deluxe it would be my last choice.

It's all about personal preference, though.

Little Green Men

The restaurants are all great! The pools are relax and the skyliner service can’t be beat

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom