Riverside or French Quarter?

DisneyNerd547

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting! :wave: I usually lurk around looking for tips and opinions, but wanted to get something more direct from everyone. My DW (I think I've interpreted that right as Disney Wife) and myself are planning a trip for our anniversary in September and were looking at Port Orleans. We are having a tough time deciding between RS and FQ though. We have no real interest in the Alligator Bayou rooms, but really want to stay at one of the super romantic mansions at Magnolia Bend. (Just not the Royal rooms) Though we are apprehensive because that's all up to chance.

Does one out weigh the other? Should I take the chances on Magnolia Bend or go for the French Quarter? What do you guys think?

Thanks! :D

Oddly enough we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for our anniversary and loved it. You'll always get more or less the same response with this question (POR is more spread out) however we loved the theming there and would pick it over ant of the other moderate resorts. We also stayed in Magnolia Bend. I'm sure you'll enjoy any of the options you choose though. :wave:

Upvote 0

T-BoneMickeyFan

French Quarter

The French Quarter is our favorite. We had a reservation at Riverside for this December 2012 to try something different because we have stayed at the French Quarter 5x in a row.

After thinking about it, we called last week and changed reservations to French Quarter. If you stay there once, you will be "hooked"!!

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

You are going to get the same answers to your question here as the dozens of other identical threads we have on this same topic...

POFQ is more "adult" and smaller, and most people that stay there (including myself) never stay anywhere else. Most romantic thing there: the boatride down to Downtown Disney, especially after dark.

POR is more spread out, and lots more kids than at POFQ, although the stroller-lot has been catching up at POFQ as well, now that the "secret" is out....

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

I prefer the French Quarter for its compact size and romantic, adult atmosphere. I do enjoy the amenities at Riverside, however. Luckily, it's only a short walk (or a nice water taxi ride) between the two.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I have stayed at both POR & POFQ and they are both amazing. I would prefer POFQ though a little more because of its size. I just switched my September reservation from FQ to Riverside because of the room discount and that got me a garden view Royal Guest Room at POR for cheaper than a standard room at FQ, otherwise I would have just stayed at FQ. They are both gorgeous when it comes to the grounds and rooms.. Riverside is quite larger so it may be a bit of a hike depending on where your room is. The boat to DTD is one of my favorite things about both of these resorts.

If I really had to choose for myself going for my anniversary, I would go with POFQ in a heartbeat. It is so quiet and peaceful. But if you did decide on Riverside, I don't think you will have a problem getting a room in Magnolia Bend since you are not a family of 5. They give the Alligator Bayou rooms to families of 5 right off the bat for the murphy beds. I would note it on the reservation that you would like a standard room in Magnolia Bend. We did that when we went and got our request.

Upvote 0

vjgraham

Stayed twice at both resorts and I would pick FQ. It is smaller, more laid back, quieter, and just ouyr choice overall. We do however like PORS also and you really have two great resorts to choose from.

Upvote 0

kucarachi

stayed at both..got lucky with FQ right next to food court. Seems like riverside is nothing but walking and walking and walking. FQ is upbeat RS is laid back and country style. the difference between the two is not enough to worry about it. You could even try and get a room right in the middle and visit both sides. The FQ side is the only side that has the boat ride to downtown i believe so that is a tie breaker if you are 50/50 on your choice.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Jazz or Bluegrass.

Stayed at FQ in 2006, loved the New Orleans theme,we could hear those trumpets in the air.Then in 2008 we tried RS and were blown away.I remember walking over the bridge at sassagoula river towards the mansions and the first thing that came into my head was banjo music playing Dixie and looking out for Rhett Butler[Gone with the wind] hence we went back in 2010 and will be there in 68 days.Just incase Rhett and Scarlet are walking over the same sassagoula bridge.:wave:

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

We go to FQ every time! We are two adults and this resort seems to have more adult appeal. We also love the entertainer in the bar at night. Elliott is the best! :wave:

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

I have never stayed at FQ, but would do so the next time simply because it seemed to me the bus lines are shorter at the end of the night. Riverside is the only moderate resort that sleeps 5, and it is a larger resort so it stands to reason that at the end of the night, I was waiting as long as 45 minutes for a bus back to the resort.

Upvote 0

tink65

We stayed at POR for the first time last September and absolutely fell in love. We stayed in the Mansions seciton in one of the newly renovated rooms. It was just so beautiful & peaceful. We also had some friends that were staying at POFQ and we would all take turns walking over to visit the other resort pool and I have to say that I really liked the room decor of POR more that POFQ. You can also fax a request for a specific location and Disney does everything they can to honor the request!

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

All Aboard.

stayed at both..got lucky with FQ right next to food court. Seems like riverside is nothing but walking and walking and walking. FQ is upbeat RS is laid back and country style. the difference between the two is not enough to worry about it. You could even try and get a room right in the middle and visit both sides. The FQ side is the only side that has the boat ride to downtown i believe so that is a tie breaker if you are 50/50 on your choice.

Unless Somali pirates have boarded the boat at RS since 2010.Both resorts sail you downtown.:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Mr_Incredible

I have never stayed at FQ, but would do so the next time simply because it seemed to me the bus lines are shorter at the end of the night. Riverside is the only moderate resort that sleeps 5, and it is a larger resort so it stands to reason that at the end of the night, I was waiting as long as 45 minutes for a bus back to the resort.

I would've taken the FQ bus back and walked to POR :lol:

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hey guys,

This is my first time posting! :wave: I usually lurk around looking for tips and opinions, but wanted to get something more direct from everyone. My DW (I think I've interpreted that right as Disney Wife) and myself are planning a trip for our anniversary in September and were looking at Port Orleans. We are having a tough time deciding between RS and FQ though. We have no real interest in the Alligator Bayou rooms, but really want to stay at one of the super romantic mansions at Magnolia Bend. (Just not the Royal rooms) Though we are apprehensive because that's all up to chance.

Does one out weigh the other? Should I take the chances on Magnolia Bend or go for the French Quarter? What do you guys think?

we are staying at PORS this year. Really excited! And we do have a Royal Room. No kids, but we still want to do it! :lol: Check out this site : http://www.portorleans.org/ if you haven't seen it already. This might be helpful in your decision.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Pors

PORS is beautiful! The grounds are very well kept! The "river" that runs through it is a beauty!
It's secluded in the trees and there is a romantic carriage ride available! the boat to DD is lovely!
You may also access POFQ from the boat or walk a nice long leisurely walk; or rent a bike!:)
The pool @ FQ appeals more to kids. The pool @ PORS has a few little areas that you can "snuggle" w/ your hubby!:kiss:
Either choice would be a good one though!:)

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Make a request

Hey guys,

When you get there, you make a request for the room you'd like! Unless it is full, they will accommodate you!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom