Riverside or French Quarter

Hotdogs

We are looking at booking the Port Orleans for next year which is the better option Riverside or The French Quarter? Is there a food court in each resort and how many floors in each building? Is there community pools as well as the main pool? Thanks

KingStefan

We are looking at booking the Port Orleans for next year which is the better option Riverside or The French Quarter? Is there a food court in each resort and how many floors in each building? Is there community pools as well as the main pool? Thanks

I've never stayed at POR, but we have stayed at POFQ, and we loved it.

Here are some comments:

I like the POFQ theming. The balconies look like the ones you see downtown New Orleans. The streets are charming, etc. The food service there is small but adequate for the number of guests.

POR has, like, twice as many guest rooms, and more spread out so that it's like 3 times as big. It's also beautiful, but the theming is more like plantation estates or cajun bayou with tin roofs, depending on the section you are in (Magnolia plantation or Alligator Bayou respectively). Which of the three styles is most appealing depends on what you like, I guess.

The guest buildings at POR are all two-story, and at POFQ they are all three story. On the average, it's a shorter walk to the main building (front desk, dining room, etc.) if you're at POFQ. But if that's important to you, you could request a room close to the main building (at either resort). In general, the walk is not too far from any guest room to the pool or main building compared to some rooms at some other resorts, like CBR or CSR. At those two, you could be really far from anything in the farthest rooms. (Some people want that, though).

The bus service goes in this order: POFQ, then four stops at POR. So going out to the parks, if you are at POFQ, you get the grand tour of PO. But it doesn't take so long, and coming back, you're the first off.

I love the pool at POR. The pool at POFQ is nice, too, but I found it a bit, idk, cold. Cool colors, open to guest room views, a bit small. The POR pool is a bit warmer colors, and it's off by itself away from all the rooms on it's own little island. But if you stay at POFQ, you can hop over to the other pool. A medium walk over (there is a nice path), or you can take any bus, and you can ride the boat back (same one that goes to DD if you stay on).

There are also five quiet pools at POR and none at POFQ.

POR is where the table service restaurant is (POFQ doesn't have one). Again, you can walk or take the bus over, and boat back. I've never eaten there, but I hear it's pretty good. And I think someone said they have a piano player on some nights who is very entertaining.

I can't comment on the rooms, because as I've said I've only stayed at the POFQ, but I think that they're pretty equivalent. However, I do know that at POR some of the rooms have a trundle bed, so that if you are a family of 5, this is for you! Also, if you have, for example, two different gender teens, or (like I do) one daughter who is a very "active" sleeper, and another who is bothered by that - causing occasional fights at 3 AM.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a good time. I absolutely love PO. Have a magical trip!

Upvote 0

coltow

Lots of people here like them both for one reason or another. We've never stayed at them but did book FQ for next year. We decided on FQ beacuse it was smaller. We didn't care that it didn't have a sit down restaurant but only a food court. We will be traveling with a few kids and thought that the quaintness of FQ would suit them better during our down times.

Upvote 0
I LOVE Riverside especially Alligator Bayou. The food court is good. There are only two floors, I believe. And the scenery there is BEAUTIFUL! There is a butterfly garden, check that out too! :)

Upvote 0

LivinWitTheLand

FQ Rocks. Riverside just seems like everything is a far walk away. Plus during the busier times you may get stuck standing on the buses to the parks if all the seats get filled at FQ first.

We liked FQ the best out of any resort we have stayed at which are Poly, Contemp, ASMo, Coronado and POP.

Upvote 0

Hotdogs

Original Poster
Thanks for the Info we have stayes at CBR the last twice and thought we would give another one a go. Can you catch a motor coach to DTD as well as the boat. Thanks all.

Upvote 0

Lucky

By the way you can find several old threads on this same subject. The 2 most common questions that come up on this site are POR v. POFQ and TL v. BB.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

Thanks for the Info we have stayes at CBR the last twice and thought we would give another one a go. Can you catch a motor coach to DTD as well as the boat. Thanks all.

Yes, I believe so, and I think that the hours are longer than the boat hours both in morning and afternoon. It's best to call Disney reservation center or one of the hotels directly, though, to make sure, because transportation changes from time to time.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I'd go with POFQ hands down. The main benefit to me there is how compact it is. You don't waste time and energy walking to get food, catch the bus, etc. :)

Upvote 0

LivinWitTheLand

The boat starts running to DD at 11am, before then you have to take the buses which run from 9am until 2am. The boat is nice, but if there is the threat of rain, thunder or lightning the boat will stop running and you have to rely on the bus. The bus service is very quick.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

We stayed at POR last summer & loved it.
We visited POFQ & it was nice too.
We loved the food court at POFQ.
I think there were 2 floors in each bldg. at each resort.
If you stay at POR or POFQ, you can use the pools for each.
We liked the one at POFQ w/ the dragon slide.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Absolutely love everything POR, my home-away-from-home!

Never had a problem with buses.
Lots of quiet pools.
Good kids activities (pool, playground, Jesters cruise).
Great store.
Bob the piano player.
Comfy beds.
Great ambience.
Butterfly garden.
Boat to POFQ/DTD.
Marina and bikes, carriage rides.
Campfire (typically during winter months).

As for POFQ, it was ok. I didn't like the food court at all. There's something weird with all those huge Mardi Gras masks staring down at you while you eat. Gave me the willies! :eek:

Upvote 0

phenom1307

We stayed at POR last summer & loved it.
We visited POFQ & it was nice too.
We loved the food court at POFQ.
I think there were 2 floors in each bldg. at each resort.
If you stay at POR or POFQ, you can use the pools for each.
We liked the one at POFQ w/ the dragon slide.

yeah i think thats only at POR....POFQ has at least 3 floors to their bldgs.

POR has i think 7 pools, don't know exact #, its prolly less haha.

i've always stayed at riverside even before it was called riverside except 2 other times, and our family has always enjoyed it.

the bus route isnt always first POFQ, then 4 stops at POR....i know when i was there from Jan. to May that they had split the 2 resort buses up so they they both had their own bus stops at the parks. also i know not every bus driver goes to all 4 stops because i've been theyre 9 years in a row to POR and have rarely been on the bus that goes to all 4 stops, maybe a couple of times but thats it. so to make sure you catch the bus just go ahead walk a little more to go to the main bus depot (i think they call it South Depot, not positive though) at the front of the resort

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom