Rivers of America (plus Railroad & Dioramas) Re-Imagineered 2017

mickEblu

How do you think the train lines will be the week of the 20th? Not! You won't catch me dead there that week. Now the week after, I can work with that.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

So I finally go to ride the train last week and here are my thoughts.

Main Street > ------------- > N.O. Square: REALLY BORING
N.O. Square > -------------> Toon Town: Best part. Need to ride again and absorb more details.
Toon Town > ---------------> Tomorrowland: BORING
Tomorrowland > ----------> Main Street: Super awesome to see so much improvements on the dioramas.

Figments Friend

I'm actually pretty stoked to experience the new train route this week.
It will be one of the first things I will likely do once in the Park on Wednesday.
Missed the ride through a lot while it was closed the last few times I've been in town.

I've stayed 'spoiler free' for the most part....have not watched any videos of the experience and have only seen a few photos of the finished project.
This is gonna be a treat....

-

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It will be one of the first things I will likely do once in the Park on Wednesday.
Missed the ride through a lot while it was closed the last few times I've been in town.

I've stayed 'spoiler free' for the most part....have not watched any videos of the experience and have only seen a few photos of the finished project.

-
Hopefully my above comment didn't create any undue expectations. Look forward to your thoughts!

D

Deleted member 107043

Main Street > ------------- > N.O. Square: REALLY BORING

It's always been that way too. One of the problems with running a train around the outskirts of a theme park is you inevitably get behind the scenes glimpses of service roads, the backside of show buildings, operational equipment, etc. For all the immersive thematic improvements in Frontierland the DLRR I expect the DLRR to still feel very much like a train ride around a theme park.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It's always been that way too. One of the problems with running a train around the outskirts of a theme park is you inevitably get behind the scenes glimpses of service roads, the backside of show buildings, operational equipment, etc. For all the immersive thematic improvements in Frontierland the DLRR I expect the DLRR to still feel very much like a train ride around a theme park.
Very true. And I could be one of the weird ones who kind of liked getting that peek behind the "curtain" if you will...but compared to the rest of the train journey, this section just sticks out even more. But...they did add that jaguar... :rolleyes:

Figments Friend

I like the peek 'backstage' too during the stretch from Toon Town to Tomorrowland.
Always fun to try to peer through the bushes at the facilities hiding back there.

Another good one is riding the Monorial along Harbor Blvd. and looking to your right...seeing more random 'backstage' goodness.
Park inner workings nerd, and proud.

:)

-

JoFu

-
It is AWESOME, you'll love the loop they put in...really tastefully done.

The_Mesh_Hatter

I may have vowed not to buy an annual pass for Disneyland Resort because I'm not a fan of the way it's run these days (especially DCA) but I did splurge on a single day ticket to Disneyland Park the other day and had a fantastic time. It was my first time there in over a year and I will probably not go back until Star Wars land crowds dissipate. Anyway, I enjoyed having the Rivers of America and Railroad back. Thought I'd share some pictures of the rivers here. They're not exactly focused on any additions, I just took pictures of some pretty scenes I saw.

65IWZXS.jpg

I had a nice seat on the last car. Some Annual Pass Holder yelled at one of the train attendants because she didn't get a front row seat. The most memorable part of her tirade was her screaming "I pay $1,000 for this I can sit where I want!!" The cast member handled it exceptionally. This exchange was worth the $100 admission price I paid.

sjkmygM.jpg

Ymzme9v.jpg

I was so tempted to do the canoes. The up side to the river being shortened is that the canoe journey isn't so exhausting. But then I realized no one in SoCal knows how to canoe properly. Bunch of Lilly Dippers.

FMDU9vE.jpg

The island was nice but it's still a tragedy that the overrated pirate franchise has run it over.

ZhKGYEp.jpg

Opted to take the Mark Twain around the river instead of the Columbia because the decks are insufferable on hot summer days.

Curious Constance

I had a nice seat on the last car. Some Annual Pass Holder yelled at one of the train attendants because she didn't get a front row seat. The most memorable part of her tirade was her screaming "I pay $1,000 for this I can sit where I want!!" The cast member handled it exceptionally. This exchange was worth the $100 admission price I paid.

I bet that was exciting! There is that particular brand of APer that I just find so delightful!

Hard to believe people as dumb as her can exist in this world. I suppose she must think she's the only person who pays that kind of money to get into the park? We may never know.

SteveAZee

I was amazed when I rode DL's monorail for the first time just a couple of years ago... so much backstage mess and so little on stage.

mickEblu

I may have vowed not to buy an annual pass for Disneyland Resort because I'm not a fan of the way it's run these days (especially DCA) but I did splurge on a single day ticket to Disneyland Park the other day and had a fantastic time. It was my first time there in over a year and I will probably not go back until Star Wars land crowds dissipate. Anyway, I enjoyed having the Rivers of America and Railroad back. Thought I'd share some pictures of the rivers here. They're not exactly focused on any additions, I just took pictures of some pretty scenes I saw.

65IWZXS.jpg

sjkmygM.jpg

Ymzme9v.jpg

I was so tempted to do the canoes. The up side to the river being shortened is that the canoe journey isn't so exhausting. But then I realized no one in SoCal knows how to canoe properly. Bunch of Lilly Dippers.

FMDU9vE.jpg

The island was nice but it's still a tragedy that the overrated pirate franchise has run it over.

ZhKGYEp.jpg

Opted to take the Mark Twain around the river instead of the Columbia because the decks are insufferable on hot summer days.

That first shot is awesome and is probably the "money shot" / best looking view/ angle when it comes to this change. My least favorite has to be when looking north from Hungry Bear and seeing where I parked my car and the ghosts of the wall of trees.

D

Deleted member 107043

I was amazed when I rode DL's monorail for the first time just a couple of years ago... so much backstage mess and so little on stage.

You should have ridden it back before DCA was built. About 75 percent of the view was looking at acres and acres of asphalt parking lot.

George Lucas on a Bench

Now that the dust has settled. Final analysis 2017.

I'm not really sold on any of this. While the train and watercraft are essential to the park and it was nice to see them back, I was ultimately let down. Nice rock work and features along the shore? Perhaps, yes. A bit too brown and gray for my taste. There's enough of that in SoCal. Disneyland should be lush and green in this section. Maybe the foliage needs to grow in. The awkward static animals and awkward Native Americans (excuse me, "Indians") are, well, awkward. I'm not one of those 2017 ultra-liberal white people that hate on white people and allegedly feel white guilt, but the "Indians" scene still makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason. Maybe they should have gone away.

There is one scene on the train where the new stuff comes together and that's between the non-functioning presumed wibbly wobbly rock that's actually static (shocker!) and the entrance to Toontown. It's a really charming area exclusive to the train. The rest is a multi-tiered environment you can't properly view from the train. In fact, the train seemed to be designed as part of the environment meant to be viewed! The forward-facing trains provide an exclusive look to the left of the train, where the old Indiana dog house can be seen, as well as strange ugly behind the scenes views. Were we not supposed to look that way? Why is the dog house there?

The area around Toontown is a long schoolyard chain link fence. The area around Tomorrowland is ugly backstage. Still. I suppose it's better than getting off the train at that point?

Taking the slower ships around the river makes the static look even more static. At least the train zips by this stuff and many of the static displays can't even be seen. The area around Hungry Bear is really very bad. It looks like a Summer camp, not Disneyland. Look, it's Salute Your Shorts! At Disneyland, they'd be underbutt shorts.

saluteyourshorts.jpg

Gross. I don't remember the big wall of greenery at the dock. Whenever a ship isn't there, it's the ugliest thing across from The Haunted Mansion.

Tom Sawyer's Island is just awful. I took a stroll around it a while back. It's in such horrible condition. There's nothing even worth doing there except presumably looking at the new area behind it. The mega charming cemetery was removed. Why that?? You can't go in the treehouse, which appears to provide excellent views of The Haunted Mansion. You can see it from the porch looming above the island. Good luck getting up there.

abandoned.jpg

This is the most provocative area of the newly reopened island and it's abandoned.

wibblyrock.jpg

As for the new area that separates Big Thunder Trail from Star Wars? It's very awkward and ugly. It has a cheap rushed feel to it. The design is nonsensical. There's no charm to any of it except perhaps the most promising feature, the great big rock. We've seen this for a while now. Below is an area reminiscent of the Vasquez Rocks. It still looks cool, but the great big rock is static. I doubt they haven't flipped the "On" switch. It's a throwback to the rocks on the old mine train ride (designed by a guy named Fred, hence the great big rock falling on his head), but it has no function. There is an extremely bogus area with a rock wall, a rock, a gate, Ewok Village fencing, a paved road (???) and a static horse that is perhaps the worst part of the entire project.

statichorse.jpg

What the? I'm not entirely confident this area was just thrown together at the last second, but I sure hope it was.

Last edited:

britain

Now that the dust has settled. Final analysis 2017.

I'm not really sold on any of this. While the train and watercraft are essential to the park and it was nice to see them back, I was ultimately let down. Nice rock work and features along the shore? Perhaps, yes. A bit too brown and gray for my taste. There's enough of that in SoCal. Disneyland should be lush and green in this section. Maybe the foliage needs to grow in. The awkward static animals and awkward Native Americans (excuse me, "Indians") are, well, awkward. I'm not one of those 2017 ultra-liberal white people that hate on white people and allegedly feel white guilt, but the "Indians" scene still makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason. Maybe they should have gone away.

There is one scene on the train where the new stuff comes together and that's between the non-functioning presumed wibbly wobbly rock that's actually static (shocker!) and the entrance to Toontown. It's a really charming area exclusive to the train. The rest is a multi-tiered environment you can't properly view from the train. In fact, the train seemed to be designed as part of the environment meant to be viewed! The forward-facing trains provide an exclusive look to the left of the train, where the old Indiana dog house can be seen, as well as strange ugly behind the scenes views. Were we not supposed to look that way? Why is the dog house there?

The area around Toontown is a long schoolyard chain link fence. The area around Tomorrowland is ugly backstage. Still. I suppose it's better than getting off the train at that point?

Taking the slower ships around the river makes the static look even more static. At least the train zips by this stuff and many of the static displays can't even be seen. The area around Hungry Bear is really very bad. It looks like a Summer camp, not Disneyland. Look, it's Salute Your Shorts! At Disneyland, they'd be underbutt shorts.

View attachment 225051

Gross. I don't remember the big wall of greenery at the dock. Whenever a ship isn't there, it's the ugliest thing across from The Haunted Mansion.

Tom Sawyer's Island is just awful. I took a stroll around it a while back. It's in such horrible condition. There's nothing even worth doing there except presumably looking at the new area behind it. The mega charming cemetery was removed. Why that?? You can't go in the treehouse, which appears to provide excellent views of The Haunted Mansion. You can see it from the porch looming above the island. Good luck getting up there.

View attachment 225052

This is the most provocative area of the newly reopened island and it's abandoned.

View attachment 225055

As for the new area that separates Big Thunder Trail from Star Wars? It's very awkward and ugly. It has a cheap rushed feel to it. The design is nonsensical. There's no charm to any of it except perhaps the most promising feature, the great big rock. We've seen this for a while now. Below is an area reminiscent of the Vasquez Rocks. It still looks cool, but the great big rock is static. I doubt they haven't flipped the "On" switch. It's a throwback to the rocks on the old mine train ride (designed by a guy named Fred, hence the great big rock falling on his head), but it has no function. There is an extremely bogus area with a rock wall, a rock, a gate, Ewok Village fencing, a paved road (???) and a static horse that is perhaps the worst part of the entire project.

View attachment 225053

What the? I'm not entirely confident this area was just thrown together at the last second, but I sure hope it was.

I agree that the horse road is weird, but on the other hand, it does really look like that horse is standing where it wants to! To paraphrase Venkman, "No human being would put a horse right there."

Figments Friend

Well, as a counterpoint.....

I've been riding the Disneyland Railroad over the last seven days and have really been enjoying what I've been seeing...the exception being the huge cranes doing their nessesary work beyond the berm.
I've been on both the Columbia and the Mark Twain several times as well in that time span, and have enjoyed getting different views of the same setting.
The stretch between New Orleans Sq. and Toontown is terrific viewing.
The updates done to the dioramas were also welcome additions.

I really like the new additions.
It feels like a nice plussing to the area.
The rock work and waterfalls add some appealing scenery and the new Indian village is quite nice.
There is so much to look at now, that I barely noticed the trip was shorter due to the River being cut in half.

An added bonus for me are the three sly references made to 'Discovery Bay' and my favorite idea guy Tony Baxter.
Yes, they are there if you know where to look.
;)

I might not be a fan of 'Star Wars Galaxy's Edge' being built in this particular Park, but I will admit this redesign done for the River is a nice side benefit.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom