Rivers of America (plus Railroad & Dioramas) Re-Imagineered 2017

TP2000

Original Poster
Pretty neat! Notice how the new rocks resemble the Vasquez Rocks, which famously appeared in Star Trek.

They also famously appear in Agua Dulce.

It now makes sense why they are shaped that way; they are shielding the Disneyland Railroad that travels directly on top of them. Very clever, and a neat bit of Imagineering. It would have been much cheaper and easier to just build a dirt berm and plop the tracks on top, but they didn't.

mickEblu

Yup. It's the new show that just debuted last month.

I can only imagine what a room full of 3 year olds wearing plastic training pants and all jumping around at the same time sounds like. I'm too scared to go in there, but the sign out front is hysterical.

Speaking of potty-training and back to the Rivers of America... the waterfalls just turned on today! Here's the first video, but I'm sure there will be more thorough ones later this evening. Skip to the 2:57 mark.

Can you help me understand this 45 minute "cooling period" that apparently existed before but I never knew about? Just recently i learned that there was a 35 minute to 45 minute to obtain a FP at rope drop but did this continue throughout the day as fresh baked suggests? Let's say I got to the park at 11am and got a HM FP with a return time of 12-1pm under the old system. Did that 1 hour wait already include that cooling period that's being referenced? if I'm understanding correctly it's not that there was a cooling period between each FP but that just the one 40 minute delay at rope drop that created a dominoe effect thoughout the day. Because in my example I could technically get a BTM FP at 12 pm and the return time would be whatever time is posted. Not some personalized return time based on a cooling period.

TP2000

Original Poster
Can you help me understand this 45 minute "cooling period" that apparently existed before but I never knew about? Just recently i learned that there was a 35 minute to 45 minute to obtain a FP at rope drop but did this continue throughout the day as fresh baked suggests? Let's say I got to the park at 11am and got a HM FP with a return time of 12-1pm under the old system. Did that 1 hour wait already include that cooling period that's being referenced? if I'm understanding correctly it's not that there was a cooling period between each FP but that just the one 40 minute delay at rope drop that created a dominoe effect thoughout the day. Because in my example I could technically get a BTM FP at 12 pm and the return time would be whatever time is posted. Not some personalized return time based on a cooling period.

Previously, all Fastpasses were pushed out at least 40 minutes. So the park would open at 8am and the first Fastpass available for Radiator Springs Racers would be for 8:40am. Or, at a less popular ride later in the day, like Buzz Lightyear (I specifically avoided using The Haunted Mansion in this example to be polite to @Kira Nerys), you could get a Fastpass at 2pm but the earliest it would be available was always 40 minutes later at 2:40pm.

That changed a few months ago at park opening, and now throughout the day as of the Fastpass changes they made this week. So now you can enter the park at 8am and the first Racers Fastpass available is for 8:05am. And later in the afternoon when you are at Buzz Lightyear at 2pm, they could be giving out Fastpasses for 2:05pm.

The whole 40 minute pushed out timeline, which has been in effect since Fastpass arrived at Disneyland in 1999, is no longer being used. No need to wait 40 minutes to use your Fastpass, you can use it almost immediately if the ride isn't so popular that the tickets are going like hotcakes.

TP2000

Original Poster
As I suspected, our favorite lady blogger was there this afternoon and offers up an evening update. Including the waterfall in the back of Critter Country that connects to the River, which has been turned off for the last 18 months...

TP2000

Original Poster
How does she lug those big VistaVision cameras around the resort?

Frank Sinatra helps her.

vvcam1b-nnw.jpg

mickEblu

Previously, all Fastpasses were pushed out at least 40 minutes. So the park would open at 8am and the first Fastpass available for Radiator Springs Racers would be for 8:40am. Or, at a less popular ride later in the day, like Buzz Lightyear (I specifically avoided using The Haunted Mansion in this example to be polite to @Kira Nerys), you could get a Fastpass at 2pm but the earliest it would be available was always 40 minutes later at 2:40pm.

That changed a few months ago at park opening, and now throughout the day as of the Fastpass changes they made this week. So now you can enter the park at 8am and the first Racers Fastpass available is for 8:05am. And later in the afternoon when you are at Buzz Lightyear at 2pm, they could be giving out Fastpasses for 2:05pm.

The whole 40 minute pushed out timeline, which has been in effect since Fastpass arrived at Disneyland in 1999, is no longer being used. No need to wait 40 minutes to use your Fastpass, you can use it almost immediately if the ride isn't so popular that the tickets are going like hotcakes.

Thanks for the explanation. So all day long they would maintain at least a 40 minimum wait minute period between the current time and the return time of a specific attraction regardless of how many FPs were being dispensed? Guess I never noticed because I'm never there at rope drop and the rides I use FP for are always more than 40 minutes out.

TP2000

Original Poster
That's Eva Marie Saint and James Mason.

Oh my God, you're right. That is James Mason. :banghead:

I knew that was Eva Marie Saint, who looks like I imagine our lady blogger looks like. But I honestly thought that was Sinatra. I found that in a 4 second Google search and didn't really look closely. But Mason's profile there bears a pretty good resemblance to Sinatra, you have to admit. Especially the nose.

Without going back to whatever search words I put in, I imagine that's the two of them on the set of North By Northwest, which both starred in and was filmed in VistaVision. My apologies to @Kira Nerys. It's James Mason who helps lug around the camera, not Frank Sinatra.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation. So all day long they would maintain at least a 40 minimum wait minute period between the current time and the return time of a specific attraction regardless of how many FPs were being dispensed?.

Yup. They'd been doing that since 1999. Suddenly it started to change several months ago, and I first noticed it one morning at Radiator Springs Racers. Maybe TDA was testing it first at Racers this past spring, in anticipation of the summer changes coming to Fastpass?

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
That over-exaggeration was so cringeworthy, then I saw DaveyCooCoo from FreshBakedOnDrugs and cringed even more.

It's like a bad car wreck. You know you are supposed to look away and ignore it, but you can't help but sneak a peek.

On the opposite end of the graciousness and intelligence scale from the Fresh Baked Disney Bears Without Day Jobs, there is our favorite lady blogger. On Friday's beautiful early summer evening she was enjoying a Mint Julep in New Orleans Square, and found some brand new posters at the train station that offer some news on the return of Fantasmic! and the Railroad to Disneyland later this summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom