River Country

Marijil

Original Poster
Anyone know whats up with RC...Ive heard that it is being transformed into the FW main pool....it seems unlikely that disney would elimnate a paid gate...what gives?

6/02 FW Cabins
11/01 Polynesian
11/00 Dixie
11/99 Port Orleans
1/99 FW Cabins
1/97 Dixie
10/95 Wilderness Home
6/94 Wilderness Lodge (grand opening)
11/92 Honeymoon at Disney Inn
7/88 Contemporary

orangefan15

I've heard the same rumors, its unfortunate as I really miss River County...it offered something different from the typical water park.

Merlin0402

I was just over there last Sunday, and all the signage for it is still up. I don't think that they are getting rid of it.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Merlin0402
I was just over there last Sunday, and all the signage for it is still up. I don't think that they are getting rid of it.

River Country will probably not open again. I also don't think that it will become a swimming area. They are going to destory the stuff probably and build something else in the place of RC. I went past there on my water mouse in August and it was spooky over there.

Sean23

Both other waterparks still list River Country and there are still a lot of road signs still listing R.C. I know this does not mean R.C. will reopen but why not take the signs down or remove R.C. from them.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Sean23
Both other waterparks still list River Country and there are still a lot of road signs still listing R.C. I know this does not mean R.C. will reopen but why not take the signs down or remove R.C. from them.

They have slowly been removing the road signs for River Country. They just haven't been taken down in the MK resort area. Disney is kind of slow when it comes to this stuff...I saw a Dixie Landings sign when I was there in August.

Sean23

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
They have slowly been removing the road signs for River Country. They just haven't been taken down in the MK resort area. Disney is kind of slow when it comes to this stuff...I saw a Dixie Landings sign when I was there in August.

I am at disney at least twice a week and have not seen any other river country signs removed except for the magic kingdom resort area.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Sean23
I am at disney at least twice a week and have not seen any other river country signs removed except for the magic kingdom resort area.

And I saw then removed in places other that the MK resort area. But remember I was there a few months ago, so things could change.

Uk cast member

Hi
i work in one of the disney stores in the uk, all or our new promo material does not have Rc on it, and we have been told to inform quests that Rc will not open again as a gated attraction. so i quess Rc will be no more.
at first we were told this was because of tourist numbers down but i was confirmed by e mail to all uk stores, dont know what the US stores know. often it seems that Stores cast know more than quest relations.
o yer disney are also v bad a signage it has tacken 12 months to get a new sign for our store!!!!!!

ReDefined

I would rather go to the other swim parks than RC. The others are far superior to the antiquated River Country. If Disney could make a good cut, than RC should go.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I don't think RC (or its replacement) will remain closed for much longer - loss of revenue from a park, plus, the other two will get full far too quickly.

Lance

I go to Fort Wilderness on a regular basis and when you enter the FW parking lot, they have covered up the "River Country" from the sign........other than that, RC looks intact, don't really care if they re-open it or not, wasn't anything spectacular....

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I thought there was a thread on here about 3 months ago where CM's and other people on here talked about how it was not going to open up again.

Steve? Anyone? Am I forgetting something?

lamarvenoy

Are they still filtering the water or have the pumps been shut off too? If so wouldn't the water become stagnant? Smelly and mosquito ridden!

DisneyWorldGuru

On my last visit to WDW I also hoped aboard a Water Mouse and a bike to view it from both sides and to get some photos of it. Like Disney insider said it is creepy. All of the slides are intact and the gate/ticketbooth are still standing along with the water tower. I noticed CM's at work cleaning the area inside the gates as well as replanting some flowers. I talked to one of the head CM's in recreation and he told me that River Country will most likely close for good. The only way Disney would reopen it, he said, was if Disney put out the money to add bigger and better attractions. I also found out from a friend at WDW that it will remain closed for 2002 and the rest of this winter. As for Spring 2003 he is not sure. He told me that Disney could always change their mind last minute and reopen it, but he told me not to get my hopes up. I think we have seen the end of River Country. I will try to post my photos of RC soon.

niteobsrvr

River Country is most likely done for good. Its popularity had wained in recent years and it was one a very short operating season due to lack of popularity.

Even when you visited the area on very busy days at the other water parks it was relatively slow. It really didnt serve well as a capacity backup for Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach because there is jsut no comparison between the parks.

The other problem with River Country is its water source. The system there use water from bay lake and pumped it through a filtration system. Not a purification system but just filtered it. Many guests had a problem with this due to their extreme fears of anything that might contain a microbe or two.

If it comes back at all the filtration will have to be replaced with a system that also sanitizes the water. Then it will most likely will assume of the role of feature pool at Ft Wilderness in order to keep up with the other resorts on property.

Grimone24

Dont jump to fast!

Originally posted by Figment1986
why continue to clean paths and plant new plants if not open??

That is right why plant new plants and pay to upkeep the park. Disney shut downRC like this about 6 years ago. They had it redone with new sand, paint and a summertime parade. They might be just revamping it it seems like a waste to just shut it down!

niteobsrvr

Re: Dont jump to fast!

Originally posted by Grimone24
That is right why plant new plants and pay to upkeep the park. Disney shut downRC like this about 6 years ago. They had it redone with new sand, paint and a summertime parade. They might be just revamping it it seems like a waste to just shut it down!

The simple answer here is that it doesn't cost that much to do some basic maintenance to the environment. In the long run, when they do open it back up either as a water park or feature pool area for Fort Wilderness, they wont have to fight back the plant and animal life in the area. It is truly amazing how fast nature takes back over when people stop caring for something.

Pioneer Hall

Re: Re: Dont jump to fast!

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
The simple answer here is that it doesn't cost that much to do some basic maintenance to the environment. In the long run, when they do open it back up either as a water park or feature pool area for Fort Wilderness, they wont have to fight back the plant and animal life in the area. It is truly amazing how fast nature takes back over when people stop caring for something.

Exactly what I was going to put. We all see how long it takes trees and plants to grow. Take Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom for example. They were undeveloped areas with no trees. Disney planted the trees when they were working on the parks, and now you can see that there is a lack of shade. If Disney was to forget about the area they would have a big problem with vegetation in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom