River Country

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the land around RC is now considered enviornmentally fragile and illegal to alter. When I talk about the cost being prohibitive, I mean they can't bring in the large machines necessary to tear down and rebuild, because they'd have to bring those machines in through the wetlands, effectively damaging federally protected enviornment. Which means that they'd have to bring in smaller equipment and more manpower to do the job, which becomes much MUCH more expensive and take much more time to do it. And even then, when it comes to the work necessary, I think some large constructoni equipment would be necessary no matter what else happened. Which brings you theoretically to square one, trying to build around federally protected land when getting the machinery to the site would destroy the federally protected land.

But isn't all of WDW effectively wetlands?

fizzle75

Well, most of the fiberglass slides are still there. Somebody (I forget who - sorry) posted these pictures not too long ago as to what it there today. I bookmarked it because nobody else has gotten this close in years.

http://piredale.photosite.com/album2/

Those pictures are so sad. I have have heard of ghost towns in the wildwest, but ghost water parks...:lookaroun ? Who knew?

Seriously,those pictures just break my heart.:(

ToTBellHop

someone should really remove the lone inner tube...that's not exactly at home in the wetland that is River Country.

Gross pictures, but I'm sure the gators appreciate the water slides and free (!) admission...we should all be so lucky!.

Figment82

Those are the saddest photos I think I've ever seen...

I have the fonest memories of River Country (and Discovery Island). My dad lost his watch in the water somewhere - I remember it was a huge ordeal. It's probably still there under all that muck. And I was terrified to go down those slides that stopped halfway - it took many trips for me to gather up the courage.

I'm gonna go cry now...

PurpleDragon

saddest photos you've ever seen? Must not have been watching the news during the last 6 years or so...

Well actually given the mass amounts of death and destruction reported on the news over the past decade, the majority of the viewing public has become somewhat desensitized to it (to an extent).

So it is possible that the loss of a childhood memory is more saddening than to hear about the same sad story on the news for the umpteenth time.

Just an observation. :shrug:

ToTBellHop

Well actually given the mass amounts of death and destruction reported on the news over the past decade, the majority of the viewing public has become somewhat desensitized to it (to an extent).

So it is possible that the loss of a childhood memory is more saddening than to hear about the same sad story on the news for the umpteenth time.

Just an observation. :shrug:
I would like to perform some psychological analyses on the person who finds green water at River Country more devastating than 9/11...

Are you blaming the media for showcasing such events as 9/11, the tsunami in Asia, or Katrina? It might come as a shocks, but those were actually bad days for the World. The media didn't have to play those events up...

Figment82

Okay wow so sorry for saying anything now! Some people need to lighten up and realize an exaggerated expression when they see it...

ToTBellHop

and some people need to realize it might be tasteless to discount events where a person's loved ones may have died...

I am well aware of what exaggeration is.

montyz81

Island accross from River Country

What is the island accross from River Country used for? Seems to be allot of structures on that island

TimeTrip

and some people need to realize it might be tasteless to discount events where a person's loved ones may have died...

I am well aware of what exaggeration is.

I dunno, I think you took the original waaaay out of context. He was just using hyperbole as many other people probably would have. How many times do people say something "ooh.. thats the saddest thing i've ever seen"? Most people don't mean that that actually IS the one saddest thing they've ever seen. Cut the guy some slack :(

slappy magoo

What is the island accross from River Country used for? Seems to be allot of structures on that island

That's probably Discovery Island. I'm guessing it closed a bit before Animal Kingdom opened. It was Disney's "zoo," for lack of a better word. An animal preserve, with walking trails. Only went once but it was nice and relaxing, a good side trip, and still close enough to the action if you suddenly needed a Space Mountain fix.

ToTBellHop

That's probably Discovery Island. I'm guessing it closed a bit before Animal Kingdom opened. It was Disney's "zoo," for lack of a better word. An animal preserve, with walking trails. Only went once but it was nice and relaxing, a good side trip, and still close enough to the action if you suddenly needed a Space Mountain fix.
also, building an attraction on an island has serious evacuation issues. It just made more sense to move the animals to AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom