River Country Officially Closing?

Disney4648

I think that if this was true and Fort Wilderness was getting a new pool area, the reservations would be a very good thing for the Disney Company:)

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by OrlandoDisney
I think that if this was true and Fort Wilderness was getting a new pool area, the reservations would be a very good thing for the Disney Company:)

If this does happen expect the price for FW to be in Moderate/Deluxe Range. It woud be the best pool area on property.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by DogsRule!
It's interesting to note that on Eisner's year end stockholders report, he refers to disney world has having four theme parks and "two water parks". Is he hinting that River Country will never open again?

I just received my stockholders report today. I couldn't find the mention of two water parks. Where is it located in the brochure (page # if possible)

prberk

River Country

I am 36 years old, and I remember when River Country was new and considered innovative, mostly because it was the first truly themed water park. It sort of combined the elements of a theme park (in this case a sort-of Huck Finn theme) with the rides of a standard water park (slides and "stuff"). In fact, our water park her in Virginia where I live is called Water Country, and when it was built the owner (original developer, not Anheiser Busch who is the owner today) said at the time that he got the idea from taking his family to River Country in Walt Disney World.

River Country, with its lazy, hazy, ole-swimmin'-hole approach is nice but has a completely different appeal, of course, than the excitement of the other two parks. I hope that it survives for that reason alone. In fact, what I see here is a continuing trend away from the idyllic settings and comfortable, family-friendly rides and environment that Walt envisioned toward an almost-exclusively thrill-based environment. I am referring to the demise or lack of attention in Carousel or Discovery Island or other slowly-themed attractions in deference to the big thrills that get the jet-set crowd. What I hope the executives understand is that what make Walt Disney World special, among other attributes, is that an entire family (all ages) can come and, to quote Roy O., "laugh and play and learn together." They need to continue to innovate, grow, and change, but not always in the bigger, grander, more thrilling way.

River Country's biggest real problem is its location and lack of attention in the literature. I think they need to pay more attention to the non-thrill-a-minute, less fickle crowd overall...

And on another, yet related subject, I think that Disney's biggest missed opportunity overall is not broadcasting a live, daily, Mickey Mouse Club type show from MGM, a or Discovery-Channel-type show for adventurers from EPCOT or Animal Kingdom. Walt knew what he was doing in 1955 when he created the Disneyland show (later called Wonderful World of Disney) and literally broadcast from the Park -- free advertising and a weekly reminder of where you might like to go on vacation! Now that they own ABC and its cable networks, as well as the Disney Channel, this makes no sense.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
The imagineer said that everything is being drained as the water is "Regular lake water"...and will reopen...:veryconfu

I still don't understand how they can let people swim in the lake water. There are signs on every beach that say you cannot swim in the water. They must somehow be able to filter the water going in to that park.

Also for those who have been to RC. Is the pool they have cemented over or is like the bottom of a lake.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
River Country uses a giant filter system housed in the "hill" All the water is piped down the slides. Overflow goes over the top. As for the lake bottom, I am not sure.

TURKEY

I went during the summer.

The pool part was great.

The other part with the rope swings, zip line and other stuff is in the lake. Two of the slides also end up in the lake water or so it seems. It has all kind of stuff floating around in it. That area has a sand bottom or at least the part where I was is sand.

I stayed for about 2 hours because it wasn't that great. Mostly because of the water.

If memory serves me right...lol... I believe the water level in RC is somehow kept higher then the water level of 7 seas lgoon... agaon IF memory serves me right

Luau Cove

I liked the idea of RC using lake water. It made you feel another sensation that you don't feel in any other WAter park, including non-Disney ones. For people who like nature, it's even more exciting, but the problem is you need to mantain this waters relatively "clean" for people not getting intoxicated or sick, which is really ambiguous since you also need the waters to look "river-like".
-->LUAU

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Luau Cove
I liked the idea of RC using lake water. It made you feel another sensation that you don't feel in any other WAter park, including non-Disney ones. For people who like nature, it's even more exciting, but the problem is you need to mantain this waters relatively "clean" for people not getting intoxicated or sick, which is really ambiguous since you also need the waters to look "river-like".
-->LUAU

Which is especially hard in Florida because a bacteria naturally grows in the water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom