Rise of the Resistance Condition

el_super

I believe he will. There is a rumored Lucas cut of Rise of Skywalker.

Even if there was (I doubt it) why would Disney ever release it?

Also George is in his late 70's right? He's supposed to be building a film library for USC. One has to wonder if, even if he was in a position to take on directing or writing or what have you, and wanted to do it, of he would even be capable.

Prequal trilogies were never that bad.

Yes. Yes they were. They were so bad, it pretty much guaranteed the death of George's filmmaking career, and pushed him to sell the studio. I would even be so bold as to suggest that the new sequel movies came out exactly the way they did because of the immense public pressure and downright fear Hollywood had that they would be too much lile the prequels.

I mean, I get that people like different things and we don't always get to choose what we love. So if you loved them, then that's great. If nothing else though, it should show that if something lile the prequels can eventually find their niche, so too can the sequels. People will always love the Star Wars they grew up with because ultimately, they are movies for children.

Phroobar

The Prequels sold tons of toys and people didn’t stop collecting their merchandise. This is unlike the Sequel Trilogy where people gave up on Star Wars and just ignored all the major characters. Here’s the Sequel Trilogy merchandise at a supermarket. Plenty of Luke Skywalker, but a little Rey in the back. View attachment 489043
Never saw that crap before.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Midichlorians = good?

I will say I enjoyed the prequels in the moment more than I do now and I consider myself a fairly big SW nerd. It would have taken a lot of work and re-writes to fix some of what George put on screen i.e. much of AOTC. My gut tells me we would have ended up at the same starting and ending point but much of the in-between would have been very different and could have been much better.
Again the execution was off. I don't hate the idea of midiclorians out right.

Stevek

The Prequels sold tons of toys and people didn’t stop collecting their merchandise. This is unlike the Sequel Trilogy where people gave up on Star Wars and just ignored all the major characters. Here’s the Sequel Trilogy merchandise at a supermarket. Plenty of Luke Skywalker, but a little Rey in the back. View attachment 489043
I have the full set of these. Literally drove to every KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell I saw until I got the collection. The market was flooded with all sorts of merch, don't ask me why I chose to buy these. Now I'm kinda stuck with them.

1596677548694.png

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I have the full set of these. Literally drove to every KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell I saw until I got the collection. The market was flooded, don't ask me why I chose to buy these. Now I'm kinda stuck with them.

View attachment 489227
I still have mine. Only missing 3 of them and all 3 are in this pic i am missing: Nute Gunray, Mace Windu, Queen Amidala. My favorite in the set is R2 because his has legs

Stevek

I still have mine. Only missing 3 of them and all 3 are in this pic i am missing: Nute Gunray, Mace Windu, Queen Amidala. My favorite in the set is R2 because his has legs
It took me a while to track them all down. I still remember stopping at a pizza hut in Parker, Arizona on the way home from Lake Havasu and they actually had the Mace Windu cup. I'm not kidding when I say that if I saw one of the 3 restaurants anywhere when I was out, I stopped to check. I was younger and got caught up in the excitement of the movies. Now I've got multiple storage closets in my garage full of SW merch that I'll probably never be able to get rid of. Much of it is Vader related as that was what I really collected.

Stevek

I believe he will. There is a rumored Lucas cut of Rise of Skywalker. With that said I would love to hear your opinions on why you think the Disney trilogy is better than the preq. tril.
The big positive the prequels have over the sequels is a much more cohesive narrative/plot. While I think the sequels are visually far more pleasing and I do enjoy some aspects of them more then the prequels, they truly suffer from not having the full storyline agreed to up front which is why you feel like you are watching 3 very separate movies vs 3 that are natural progressions from the previous movie.

shambolicdefending

The big positive the prequels have over the sequels is a much more cohesive narrative/plot. While I think the sequels are visually far more pleasing and I do enjoy some aspects of them more then the prequels, they truly suffer from not having the full storyline agreed to up front which is why you feel like you are watching 3 very separate movies vs 3 that are natural progressions from the previous movie.
This... plus the disjointed stories of the last three either independently sucked, or were just thinly disguised remakes of the originals.

truecoat

One of the big things missing from the sequels was the grand action sequences you see in a Star Wars movie. The ones in the sequels were generic at best.

I guess you did have space horses running across a star destroyer...

Stevek

One of the big things missing from the sequels was the grand action sequences you see in a Star Wars movie. The ones in the sequels were generic at best.

I guess you did have space horses running across a star destroyer...

Not sure I completely agree with that...I thought the initial Rey stealing the falcon and the blowing up of the Death Star, I mean Starkiller Base mixed in with the Han/Kylo Death, Rey/Klyo Saber fight sequence was pretty entertaining.

truecoat

Not sure I completely agree with that...I thought the initial Rey stealing the falcon and the blowing up of the Death Star, I mean Starkiller Base mixed in with the Han/Kylo Death, Rey/Klyo Saber fight sequence was pretty entertaining.

The only real memorable sequence in the sequels in the throne room fight in The Last Jedi. The others might have been entertaining.

Even if there was (I doubt it) why would Disney ever release it?

Also George is in his late 70's right? He's supposed to be building a film library for USC. One has to wonder if, even if he was in a position to take on directing or writing or what have you, and wanted to do it, of he would even be capable.

Yes. Yes they were. They were so bad, it pretty much guaranteed the death of George's filmmaking career, and pushed him to sell the studio. I would even be so bold as to suggest that the new sequel movies came out exactly the way they did because of the immense public pressure and downright fear Hollywood had that they would be too much lile the prequels.

I mean, I get that people like different things and we don't always get to choose what we love. So if you loved them, then that's great. If nothing else though, it should show that if something lile the prequels can eventually find their niche, so too can the sequels. People will always love the Star Wars they grew up with because ultimately, they are movies for children.

Solo Lost Money-and no they are not movies just for children. They'd release the Lucas cut to make $ because that would be the only reason I would watch ROS again. I could go on but like you said time will tell and Disney's Skywalker trilogy will not stand the test of time. $100 Schmeckles says that Disney retcon/multiverse their three skywalker movies.

el_super

Solo Lost Money-and no they are not movies just for children. They'd release the Lucas cut to make $ because that would be the only reason I would watch ROS again.

If money was the only thing driving them, why haven't they released the original versions of the original movies?

I could go on but like you said time will tell and Disney's Skywalker trilogy will not stand the test of time.

If the prequels can find an adoring audience after 20 years, so to can the sequels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom