RIP The Great Movie Ride

Megatronus

I suppose they could, but, why bother? Most of the folks that have even the slightest conscious familiarity with those old movies will have joined Walt in the freezer soon anyway. Then all they will here is where are all the great movies like Zoolander 2?

Still LMAO at this one. Ok, you hit the nail on the head with that one, brother.

ChristyKay

I rode GMR for the last time on Sunday. The CMs we had were so cringeworthy I wanted to jump out of the car. We had the western scene and our "cowgirl" was so soft-spoken I couldn't hear a word she was saying, and I was in the second row. Not the best last ride, but I didn't want to wait another hour in line. I did buy one of the t-shirts though :)

KBLovedDisney

I never paid that much attention to the CMs because it always seemed so cringy. I just loved the scenes and AAs of the ride so much, and especially that overall feeling of being "In the movies". That is what I am going to miss the most.

Eddie Garrison

Heading out there soon to ride The Great Movie Ride after hitting up EPCOT to ride Universe of Energy one last time as well. At least you can walk between the two parks so it won't be that bad trying to get to both them either driving or taking WDW transportation.

The wait times are to be expected at these two attractions today. I can't recall Universe of Energy ever having more than a 10 minute wait the past 10 years or so. It's at five minuets right now. The Great Movie Ride on the other hand is at two hours right now. Funny. I never saw this attraction have a wait time like this until it's about to close for good either.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I didn't make it out there, but I'll be there in spirit. Glad I rode it 6-7 times in June. I wish I would have known it would be the last.

The Empress Lilly

I didn't make it out there, but I'll be there in spirit. Glad I rode it 6-7 times in June. I wish I would have known it would be the last.
I rode the GMR three times my last trip in May. I was fully aware these could've been my last.

Unfortunately, I didn't realise my ride on Energy turned out to be my last one. I wish I would've done it a few more times. On the upside, I did have a 'farewell just in case' afternoon of lots of Energy last October.

Also, I am not sure how I would handle a last trip knowing it rwally positively will be my last one....

Mark P.

I couldn't decide which of the GMR threads to post this in, so this one seems as good as any of them. When our flight to Orlando was delayed last month, the most upsetting part was knowing our carefully-planned visit to DHS that afternoon would be derailed. Fortunately, we decided to go at opening two days later (on our wedding anniversary, no less), and got a chance to bid farewell. Since then, I've been trying to figure out why its departure has had such an impact on me personally. Two weeks later, I think I've figured it out: in light of everything that's happening out in the "real world", movies offer us a temporary respite and an opportunity to contemplate something different. Celebrating creativity and artistry seems like a far better use of my mental capacity, and while everything about Walt Disney World fits that mission in some way or another, there was always something special about TWDC extending that celebration beyond their own IP and their own brand. Engaging the cast members in that celebration in a way that few other attractions have or will was just a bonus.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
8/13/17

RIP, The Great Movie Ride

giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_nkmguqno3d1sykh4r.gif

POLY LOVER

I was speaking with a cast member on the last day of the GMR. I wanted to know if the building would stay intact and I was told it will. She then told me a story about when the GMR was built they were given the original plans from the Hollywood theatre to use as a model. She then went on to say that when the theatre in Hollywood burnt down and needed to be rebuilt they came back to Disney who had the only remaing blueprint of the theatre. The theatre was rebuilt and restored exactly as it was before the fire. I didn't know that history it was very interesting.

FettFan

It's actually the first one that I'm really sad to see go. The Oz scene alone belongs in the Smithsonian

I'd say the same about the recreation of the Nostromo. If not for the fact that it's nearly three times as wide to accommodate the ride vehicles, I would have sworn that Disney had managed to purchase the original set.
Disney-MGM+Press+Photo+09.jpg

I especially loved the added touch that among the first props you'd see in that area were Brett's Hawaiian shirt and one of the Drinky Birds from the dining room.
latest

Drinky%2Bbirds.jpg

I don't have a picture of them in the ride, but as you entered the section, they were sitting atop a crate on the floor.

Last edited:

NormC

I was speaking with a cast member on the last day of the GMR. I wanted to know if the building would stay intact and I was told it will. She then told me a story about when the GMR was built they were given the original plans from the Hollywood theatre to use as a model. She then went on to say that when the theatre in Hollywood burnt down and needed to be rebuilt they came back to Disney who had the only remaing blueprint of the theatre. The theatre was rebuilt and restored exactly as it was before the fire. I didn't know that history it was very interesting.
Nice story but it is false.

righttrack

I'd say the same about the recreation of the Nostromo. If not for the fact that it's nearly three times as wide to accommodate the ride vehicles, I would have sworn that Disney had managed to purchase the original set.

I especially loved the added touch that among the first props you'd see in that area were Brett's Hawaiian shirt and one of the Drinky Birds from the dining room.

I don't have a picture of them in the ride, but as you entered the section, they were sitting atop a crate on the floor.

Yes, that is my Graceland

disneygeek90

Have to say this is probably the hardest I have taken an attraction/ride closing. I had always loved going on this and remember going on it when I was young. I had found myself really appreciating it the last few years. Anyway, I’ve purchased a shirt and tumbler to remember it. Also bought the mickey GMR cel with the pin, and the nice wooden wall sign of the GMR entrance. I figure if I can’t go in the movies anymore, I can bring the GMR to me. RIP. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom