Riding with.....Glasses.

Pooh88

I have terrible eyesight and am on my second set of progressives. I always ride the inside rides with them and outside ones with my presciption sunglasses. Only time I have a real problem is anything with 3-D. Still haven't figured that out yet. Have yet to have a good experience at Bugs Life or Honey I shrunk or Mickey's Philharmagic. No one has fidgured out that folks with glasses have trouble wearing 3-D glasses OVER other glasses..

i ride all ride with the glasses on, and the only bad thing that happened was that one of the glasses' "arms" broke off on Rnrc. a ride attendant found it in the seat, so when i got back to the yacht club i crazy-glued it back on and it was fine for the rest of the trip.

i've been fine on every other ride and now on rnrc with glasses, i really keep my head back in the seat and i'm okay.

WDW2010

Original Poster
I have terrible eyesight and am on my second set of progressives. I always ride the inside rides with them and outside ones with my presciption sunglasses. Only time I have a real problem is anything with 3-D. Still haven't figured that out yet. Have yet to have a good experience at Bugs Life or Honey I shrunk or Mickey's Philharmagic. No one has fidgured out that folks with glasses have trouble wearing 3-D glasses OVER other glasses..

Well you are missing out. With the whole 3-D movies I have no issues I really find that the glasses fit over them perfectly and yes I do look goofy but they're comfortable.

By the way...You and I both missed out on Honey I Shrunk the Audience.. it closed. Never got the chance to see it, last year I had the opportunity but skipped because I had a lot left at the park to do. :(

WDW2010

Original Poster
i ride all ride with the glasses on, and the only bad thing that happened was that one of the glasses' "arms" broke off on Rnrc. a ride attendant found it in the seat, so when i got back to the yacht club i crazy-glued it back on and it was fine for the rest of the trip.

i've been fine on every other ride and now on rnrc with glasses, i really keep my head back in the seat and i'm okay.

I would've been pretty upset about it falling off and having to crazy glue it like a mad man.

Keeping your head back seems like a good tip for me, and a good tip for everyone that may have second guesses on wearing glasses on RnRC.

I too have awful eyesight (since 3rd grade), can't wear contacts, and need my glasses on every waking moment in order to see basically anything. That being said, I've never taken my glasses off on any ride at Disney (including RnRR). In RnRR I wouldn't be able to see all of the cool signs if I took them off. If you're really worried, make sure they're tightened right before the trip. If they're nice and snug, there's no way they're gonna fall off. I'd be a tiny bit more concerned maybe at Universal, IoA, etc. simply because I feel like the coasters there are a bit more intense as someone else said. I'd also be more concerned about something like a hat. My brother loves hats (usually spends a decent amount on them so he's not about to risk losing them) so he always takes them off on coasters just in case.

Putting 3D glasses over them though is annoying. It's just kind of uncomfortable even though the 3D specs tend to be a bit oversized.

Last edited:

BJones82

As everyone else is saying I leave mine on for all the rides and this year that even included RnRC and ToT which in the past I was too chicken to do... My eyes are not horrible though and I really am in need of a new pair anyway so I had less stress around this than others because of this I suppose but yea in WDW you should be fine, but in other parks I am not willing to test this such as Cedar Point or Six Flags Great America both have rides that it would just be a bad decision for me to push my luck on it... I prefer to save my luck for other things lol

Goofyernmost

As everyone else is saying I leave mine on for all the rides and this year that even included RnRC and ToT which in the past I was too chicken to do... My eyes are not horrible though and I really am in need of a new pair anyway so I had less stress around this than others because of this I suppose but yea in WDW you should be fine, but in other parks I am not willing to test this such as Cedar Point or Six Flags Great America both have rides that it would just be a bad decision for me to push my luck on it... I prefer to save my luck for other things lol
I have never taken my glasses off on any ride in WDW and have been on all of them. They only time that I have had and concern was on Test Track when you are out in the open with the wind in your face, I have noticed that my glasses seem to be pushed upward and outward by the wind currents. I've never lost them yet, but, have found myself reaching up with my hand and lightly hanging on to them from time to time. A simple inconspicuous strap attached to them and around your neck will solve all that problem.

JillC LI

I can't see without my glasses. Wouldn't risk losing them though so I wear a loose band around the back that I tighten for more vigorous rides.

thomas998

Hey everyone, I decided to start this thread because I have these annoying pieces of glass in front of my eyes, my glasses. Out of curiosity who actually rides with there prescription glasses not sunglasses, prescript ed lenses to see.

On my first trip to WDW I had no guts what so ever to wear my glasses on Test Track, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest and other attractions (Skipped ToT and RRC) During my second trip this month I finally gained the guts to wear them on Test Track and let me tell you what a difference. My eyes are terrible and without them on my first trip all the rides that I took them off on were just BLAH. Test Track seemed like a whole completely different ride and it was the best thing I ever did.

Well, I did not have enough courage to wear them on ToT, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest or Splash Mountain which I regret. Last year I somehow road Expedition Everest AT LEAST 6 times, Space Mountain at least 6 also etc. Each time yes it was fun, but I could barely see anything going on.

On my next trip I will not wear my glasses on Rock'n Roller Coaster just because of the loop/corkscrews but, maybe for ToT, Space Mountain and Splash Mountain should be fine.

What do you guys think? Has anyone everyone gone through this type of issue? Any advice would be much appreciated I just hate going on these great rides and seeing nothing but blobs :(

P.S. Tried contacts - Can't put them in, won't put them in, not in the equation lol.

I used to worry about losing my glasses, but then I took a trip where I took an old pair from the previous prescription so I could see what I was missing on rides.... I never lost them, and road every ride with them on. Now I don't even bother to think about taking off my glasses to ride.

The one caveat to that is my glasses are very light weight, very thin high index lenses on frameless glasses... I don't know if I would try it if I was wearing some old school glass, glasses that as I recall from my older days were pretty darned heavy.

Now if you were really worried, you can get a band that attaches to your glasses and is elastic that goes around the back of your head. I do wear that when I go snow skiing because I found out the hard way along time ago that if you lose your glasses in the snow they are gone till spring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom