Riding Segways For FREE @ Epcot

SewIn2Disney

My family and I have booked the Around the World on A Segway tour for August 15th, maybe we'll see you there! You must have the life! Riding around on a Segway through Epcot as your job must be awesome!

Do you still get a free pin with it, and can we take pictures during our free roam time? I totally can't wait! I've tried booking that tour the last 3 times I've gone to Disney, and it's always full!
I'll have to try the free Segway thing when I'm down in May.....then I can show up my parents in August!!

JEDIsney

cac2889 said:
Tom Morrow's playland over in Innoventions West was converted into the new Simply Segway arena.

Please tell me that Tom Morrow wasn't removed. One of my favorite things to do while going to Epcot is visiting Tom Morrow.

Also, I have always wanted to do the Around the World at EPCOT Segway Tour, because I know that it would be worth it, but I am afraid of spending the money on it. It must be so cool to ride around Epcot on a Segway, but is the price really worth it? I think it would be, I'm just too afraid to actually spend the money on it.

Eljay

JEDIsney said:
Please tell me that Tom Morrow wasn't removed. One of my favorite things to do while going to Epcot is visiting Tom Morrow.

Also, I have always wanted to do the Around the World at EPCOT Segway Tour, because I know that it would be worth it, but I am afraid of spending the money on it. It must be so cool to ride around Epcot on a Segway, but is the price really worth it? I think it would be, I'm just too afraid to actually spend the money on it.

http://allearsnet.com/btp/tours.htm#seg
:D Oh yeah, it is VERY much worth it! Just read the reviews in the link above. The tour is $80 without a discount, but only $67 with a AAA, AP, DVC, Disney Visa, etc., discount.
:sohappy: DO IT! It's the best money ever spent!

Kam

I can highly recommend a ride on a segway,

I use them at work, but in the UK I can't take it out on the road.

would be nice to know what 'key' disney let people use

there are 3 speed keys
slow medium and fast

I train people on slow and its still to much for them

Fast key is excellent, but you really need to be very good at handling the segway to really use it.

I love seeing newbies get on one and start doing pelvic thrust motions as they try to over-compensate the self balancing segway

Eljay

Hi Kam,
We were told that we had the "slow" keys, when I took the 2 Segway tours at Epcot. The CM's use the fast keys. Do I remember correctly that the slow key only permits up to 5 mph? That was plenty fast for beginners!!!:eek:

Cosmo

I know I have the dissenting opinion here, and while I would like to try a segway one day, i hope that they don't start renting them...walking around World Showcase is the only excercise i get (and I'm fat enough!) and the temptation would just be too great!:lol:

....i hope everyone knows that this post was supposed to be funny and in good humor...:lookaroun

Frank Stallone

Eljay said:
Hi Kam,
We were told that we had the "slow" keys, when I took the 2 Segway tours at Epcot. The CM's use the fast keys. Do I remember correctly that the slow key only permits up to 5 mph? That was plenty fast for beginners!!!:eek:

Correct. Guests get the "black" key, which has a top speed of 5 mph. Cast members are given the "yellow" key, which has a top speed of a bout 9 mph. There is also a "red" key, which has a top speed of 12.5 mph, but you won't see any cast members using that key.

Kam

I love my Segway, just wish it had more storage space

Red key is the fastest one yet I still get it pulling back in an effort to slow me down.

I don't have pedestrians walking around tho'

I could see serious problems if disney let people loose with segways on their own.

Would be good to see a little test circuit for Segway's (even C5's) for everyone to have a go

Plane Crazy

Also said:
It's definitely worth it... so don't even worry about the money! It is, by far, one of the most unique, exciting, and entertaining experiences I have ever had at Walt Disney World (and I have been there many times and done many things). Riding the segway anywhere would be cool... but it's especially fun because you are in Walt Disney World! I will definitely do it again and again.

As others have mentioned, be sure to book early. Also, I recommend doing the first tour... as it seemed to have fewer people signed up than the later tours. In addition, be sure to show your AAA card or Annual Pass to get the discount.

A segway would not be a practical mode of transportation where I live... and they're a little bit out of my price range. Nevertheless, I found myself dreaming of purchasing a segway of my own! I guess I'll just have to wait until my last trip to WDW. I am hoping that they have a segway tour at each of the parks (Frank Stallon - do you know if they are considering this?)!

Frank Stallone

Plane Crazy said:
It's definitely worth it... so don't even worry about the money! It is, by far, one of the most unique, exciting, and entertaining experiences I have ever had at Walt Disney World (and I have been there many times and done many things). Riding the segway anywhere would be cool... but it's especially fun because you are in Walt Disney World! I will definitely do it again and again.

As others have mentioned, be sure to book early. Also, I recommend doing the first tour... as it seemed to have fewer people signed up than the later tours. In addition, be sure to show your AAA card or Annual Pass to get the discount.

A segway would not be a practical mode of transportation where I live... and they're a little bit out of my price range. Nevertheless, I found myself dreaming of purchasing a segway of my own! I guess I'll just have to wait until my last trip to WDW. I am hoping that they have a segway tour at each of the parks (Frank Stallon - do you know if they are considering this?)!

I haven't heard any mention of Segway Tours at the other parks, and I would be very surprised if they did, just due to theming (same reason you see managers on Segways at EPCOT, and not at any other park).

However, there has been talk of adding a Segway experience over at Fort Wilderness on some of the outdoor trails. In order to do that, Disney would have to buy more of the segway models that have the all-terrain wheels.

Nemo14

Frank Stallone said:
I haven't heard any mention of Segway Tours at the other parks, and I would be very surprised if they did, just due to theming (same reason you see managers on Segways at EPCOT, and not at any other park).

However, there has been talk of adding a Segway experience over at Fort Wilderness on some of the outdoor trails. In order to do that, Disney would have to buy more of the segway models that have the all-terrain wheels.
FW could be fun on a Segway!

SewIn2Disney

AK on a Segway would be fun, but by no means does it fit the theme of the park, but all those little known trails just beg to be explored on by Segway.

shoppingnut

Testtrack321 said:
Rumor has it that some people in the Disney parks division, along with Imagineering were shown the Segway back when it was "Ginger" and decided that rental was not an option, due to safety issues and congestion. (Strolers are bad enough!)

And let's not forget the ECV's!!

shoppingnut

Eljay said:
Careful! Touchy subject, often stirs up a hornets nest!:zipit:

Yes, but when your foot has been run over by one because someone didn't know what they were doing which is much worse than a stroller because they are heavier and you were thanking god that it was only your foot and you or your child weren't standing at the counter paying for something that she rammed the thing into at full speed, kinda makes you wonder how safe they really are.

Teenchy

This is on my short list of things to still do at WDW.

I'm not worried about the $$ to do the Epcot tour. I'm worried about the $$ I will want to spend on buying one after I get home.

Anyone know how reliable they are? Do they breakdown often and cost alot for maintenance? Warranty, etc.

Eljay

Teenchy said:
This is on my short list of things to still do at WDW.

I'm not worried about the $$ to do the Epcot tour. I'm worried about the $$ I will want to spend on buying one after I get home.

Anyone know how reliable they are? Do they breakdown often and cost alot for maintenance? Warranty, etc.

Here you go, maybe you can get some info here.
http://www.segway.com/

Actually, conversations about owning a Segway were common during the tour. We were told that they are actually illegal to operate in many areas, is that true, Frank Stallone? I guess unless you have a lot of property, there aren't too many places to ride.:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom