Rides you wish never went away

Musical Mermaid

Ok, while this was not the most exciting ride either, it was definitely an experience I couldn’t forget after riding it as a child a lot; The Skyway. I remember seeing 20,000 Leagues from the air and it was always fun to wave at people in the Speedway and watch them wave back. I don’t know how I would have viewed it as an adult, but it was fun when I was young.

crxbrett

Only 3 eh? Well that is really hard to narrow down! I would say Horizons, World of Motion and Journey into Imagination. All three were so well done and extremely good.

15-min omni-movers? Check.
Phenomenal music? Check.
Full of well done audio-animatronics? Check.
Fun but also educational? Check.
High production values? Check.
Amazing attention to detail? Check.
Incredible set designs and concepts? Check.
Captures the spirit of old Disneyworld? Check.

No more needs to be said.

Honorable mentions would be 20k Leagues Under the Sea, Extra Terrorestrial Alien Encounter and Delta Dreamflight.

Chef Mickey

The Great Movie Ride
Mr. Toad
Horizons
Journey Into Imagination
World of Motion
Body Wars
Alien Encounter
Dream Flight
Snow White

Yes, my list is more than 3. You can’t choose favorites, it if I had to it’s be:
Horizons
Journey Into Imagination
The Great Movie Ride

RandySavage

1. Horizons. The future-set equivalent of PotC or HM - with the perfect combination of sets, screens, music, narration. Probably my all time number 1 - a singular work of art that should have been landmarked.

2. World of Motion. Same as above.

3. Great Movie Ride v.1. As much as I disliked the TMC version the ride ended on, it's criminal that all those detailed sets and AAs are giving way to a tv-stick animation screen ride. I'm fairly certain I'll value just one GMR show scene - Gangster, Western, Alien, Indy, etc. more than the entirety of Mickey's Magic Express.

4. The Living Seas. The entire original experience beginning with the outdoor water feature and background music - through pre-shows and hydrolators to the ride and Sea Base - and Hydrolators to return to "surface", completing the experience - ranks as one of my all time favorite things to do at a theme park.

5. Maelstrom. The best ride (almost no competition) and 2nd best attraction in World Showcase. Every country should have a D-ticket family ride like Maelstrom that explores the culture and has a bit of a kicker.

6. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. My favorite of all the Fantasyland darkrides.

7. Dreamflight - Original, Future World-Lite experience in Tomorrrowland.

8. Journey into Imagination & Captain Eo. The former because it was another Original Future World classic - created by and for a more sophisticated people. The latter for pure nostalgia.

9. Original Disney-MGM Backstage Tour. When the park opened, it was fresh, exciting and went on forever (both the tram and walking tour were combined).

10. Monster Sound Show. Funny and fast-paced.

I'll stop at ten.

Tinkerbella16

Horizons and I really dislike Mission Space. I loved World of Motion as a kid but I also really like Test Track. Others would include The Great Movie Ride and Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

KBLovedDisney

Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, original Test Track, original Mission Space, Alien Encounter, Maelstrom, Jeremy Irons narration of Spaceship Earth, The Great Movie Ride, and original Pirates of the Caribbean (can't believe we have come to this).

Disney, please quit fixing things that ain't broke.

Last edited:

graphite1326

Only two for me. Alien Encounter, The Great Movie Ride.

I hated 20K Leagues Under the Sea. Journey into Imagination not much better.

Animaniac93-98

Snow White's Scary Adventures

Say what you want about SWSA, at least you didn't need to get a FP+ 60 days out or wait 2 hours in line to ride it.

MineTrainWait.jpg

Walt Disney1955

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Great Movie Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures (come on, you can't have two Snow White rides?) and Maelstrom (come on, Norway can't have two rides?)

crxbrett

Yeah, that's another one. I liked it, the 10 year old version of me did at least. Going to Disneyland and going on Finding Nemo was not the same. Or was it? I don't know. It felt terribly cramped in there and it was not the 20,000 ride that I remembered.

Finding Nemo sucks to be quite honest. I think 20K Leagues was a gem. It was more grand in nature with the giant waterfalls and palms and rocks and the ships were obviously exceptionally themed. So sad it closed. I feel fortunate that I got to go on it 3 or 4 times before that though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom