Rides too intense for two year olds?

DisneyWood

Isn't Disney for children?

MissM said:
I'm not trying to be rude or mean in any way, honest. I just am having problems understanding bringing a two year old to WDW. Especially if you have never gotten to experience it yourself? At two, they're really, honestly and truly, far too young to ride anything, let alone recall the experience. At three I went to Busch Gardens WV and you know the only thing I recall? Feeding ducks on a bridge. Ducks.

If you've never gone, then why not consider a babysit/daycare? Disney offers wonderful on-property services for just such a thing. This way you can get a chance to really see and do the park. In a few years, when your son is older, you'll already have a better idea of the park and the rides and he will be able to better enjoy them. With a two year old in tow, it's not going to be much fun for you and not much fun for him really either.

I don't know. I'm not a parent, though a friend took her 2 1/2 y.o. to WDW this summer and they were both miserable. Heat, crowds, inability to actually ride rides - it was just a long day for her and her son. On the other hand, my goddaughter first went when she was about 6 and had a blast. She couldn't wait to go back. I know that doing things is important with your child and I commend you for that, but I just don't see the point in a vacation to Florida and Disney World when it won't get to be as much as it could be.

Maybe even just take one day for you and your wife together. You owe it to yourself to have some fun too you know! :)
-m

I thought Disney World was a place for children. I understand your concern about the crowds, heat, exhaustion, etc. with children & I was hesitant planning our first family trip. However, if you plan your trip to schedule around most of this, the trip could be very enjoyable. My wife and I have been to WDW numerous times w/o children, so I also understand your point of going to the park alone to enjoy everything the park has to offer. But, it would be an extremely hard thing for a parent to do, leave your child in daycare while your visit the parks. I just can't do it.

I took my son when he was 1 1/2 and he had a ball. We all had a good time. Did we get to ride everything we wanted too? No, but that is fine. We just really enjoyed seeing our child run around and take it all in. As for the rides, we went on all of the children's rides and he had fun on them. He probably doesn't remember them now but he still enjoyed them at the time. We will continue to go to WDW and he will start to retain some memories, as I have over the years.

In my opinion, a child is never to young to experience the magic of Disney World. Now, if a family can only afford a visit every 5 to 10 years, then it would make more sense to start when the children are a little older. Just my thoughts.

We are taking our 2 year old and 1 year old this October. We are looking forward to our family trip. :sohappy: :sohappy:

Mgkcjohnson

MissM- I don't think you meant to be rude, but I can see how your post might offend some people. I have been to Disney World several times throughout my life. Each time provided wonderful memories. When my daughter was born, I could not wait for the day we would take her to WDW. My daughter was walking before she was 12 months old and she was talking very soon after that, so we decided to take a vacation to Disney a few months before she turned 2 and see how things would go. I was worried about the heat, the crowds and what rides we could or could not go on. I was worried about the plane ride, navigating the airport, eating in restaurants and everything else. However, you can't go through life worrying all the time. My daughter loved the plane ride, even though her ears popped alittle on landing. She was excited to be staying on our hotel room with a balcony since we were up pretty high. She loved getting on the tram from the parking lot to the gates of the TTC and I will never ever forget her reaction when she first saw the castle in the distance... Her eyes opened wider than the Grand Canyon and she yelled out on a packed Monorail -"DADDY.. I SEE THE CASTLE!!!! WOOOHOOO" Keep in mind she was not even 2 yet. She enjoyed herself just about every second there. Sure there were times when she was cranky, but not once did I ever think we should have left her with a babysitter at the hotel so we could enjoy the parks without her. When you have children, and you see how much joy they get out of life, that creates the most incredible feeling within you. She talked about all kinds of things she saw and learned at the parks when we returned home. She loved it so much we decided to take her back again this past March, when she was a few months shy of her 3rd birthday. It was amazing how much she remembered from her first trip. This time around the Hoop De Doo was her ultimate favorite. All of the PHP came over to her and danced with her and made a big fuss over her. We have it all on video. She asks to watch that video just about every single day. It is amazing to see such a small little child so enthralled with the magic of Disney. To them, that magic is real. That is who the parks were designed for... adults love Disney, me included, but to small children it is the most incredible place in the world. It makes me happy that I was able to provide that experience for my daughter at such a young age. She just said to me the other day, "Daddy, can we go to Disney World at Florida next weekend?" At random times she'll ask me "So Daddy, what rides do you want to go on? I want to go on Small World (her favorite) Buzz Lightcheer (as she calls him) we can see the parades and the fireworks and then we can see Miss Dolly (Hoop de Doo... She remembers more than I do. Maybe we are just lucky that my daughter remembers so much, but children will amaze you, they are much much smarter than people give them credit. Now, we cannot wait to go back again... and that mostly has to do with the fact that my daughter is so in love with the Disney magic. I can't imagine my wife and I enjoying that without our daughter there... it wouldn't be the same.

loading890

We just got back from our trip in August with our 17 month old daughter and it was great! Seeing her eyes light up at the character breakfasts and parades was priceless. We got tons of pics and videos to last a lifetime. We took her on EVERYTHING that she was eligible to ride. She loved the teacups and dumbo and peterpan. Took her on pirates, haunted mansion, snow white, all 3D shows, astro-obibtor, pooh, spaceship earth, JIY, Great Movie Ride, Maelstorm, and Aladdin carpets. we had absolutely no problems.

Just enjoy the hell out of it!

Dwarful

Well, we took both of our daughters before their 2nd birthdays, the oldest was 18mths for her first real visit. I would suggest that you RUN..don't walk...to the nearest store and buy "Disneyland Sing-along" it is a great video that my kids adore (3rd copy) that shows the rides with kids singing along with the songs..very friendly. that will give your child some familiarity w/WDW. WDW alone can be overwhelming. I would start with the mild rides and work your way up to the questionable rides. Our kids were able to ride anything they were tall enough. WHile this last trip my 3 yr old nephew was a bit scared of HM. Only you can tell what your child will be able to handle...enjoy and make sure you take plenty of film w/you!

v&adad

We took our daughter down when she was 15 months old and she still remembers SW (unfortunately closed this year) She also remembers the characters and of course the pool! As far as the rides go, a lot of them are loud and dark. We thought we would be safe on the TTA but part of the ride is in the dark. I would definitely bring some form of flashlight or penlight. If they get too worried turn it on. My daughter loved playing with it (sometimes more then the ride). POC and HM are too scary IMO! I agree with the go with the flow attitude. A parent just knows what's right for their kids. Follow your instincts. We will be down there the 9-18 of October with our 14m and 3 yr old! We will take them ever year until they refuse to go . . .

PhilosophyMagic

IMPORTANT NOTE:

For the few very worthwhile experiances that you won't be able to enjoy with your child, use the "parent-swap" policy. (...or is that "child-swap?" I don't remember...) With it, one parent can wait with the child while the other goes on the ride, and then they switch! Easy, and REALLY worth doing, because the best rides are those that you won't be able to experiance with a two-year-old. Without your child, make sure you experiance Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Mission: Space, Test Track, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, and DINOSAUR. These are absolutely not to be missed, and it's easy to switch off with your child.

Have a great time!!!

dixiegirl

hay dwaful, we have that disneyland singalong, everytime its done my 4 year cries, because she misses the characters.. lol it really is a good show,messed her up a little bit because its disneyland not disneyworld, i had to explain to her the difference and show her pics on the web. itis a great show you should if you dont get the beach party at walt disney world, you'll be singing it all day long..lol

scorp111

Mgkcjohnson said:
She loved getting on the tram from the parking lot to the gates of the TTC and I will never ever forget her reaction when she first saw the castle in the distance... Her eyes opened wider than the Grand Canyon and she yelled out on a packed Monorail -"DADDY.. I SEE THE CASTLE!!!! WOOOHOOO" Keep in mind she was not even 2 yet. She enjoyed herself just about every second there. Sure there were times when she was cranky, but not once did I ever think we should have left her with a babysitter at the hotel so we could enjoy the parks without her. When you have children, and you see how much joy they get out of life, that creates the most incredible feeling within you. She talked about all kinds of things she saw and learned at the parks when we returned home. She loved it so much we decided to take her back again this past March, when she was a few months shy of her 3rd birthday. It was amazing how much she remembered from her first trip. This time around the Hoop De Doo was her ultimate favorite. All of the PHP came over to her and danced with her and made a big fuss over her. We have it all on video. She asks to watch that video just about every single day. It is amazing to see such a small little child so enthralled with the magic of Disney. To them, that magic is real. That is who the parks were designed for... adults love Disney, me included, but to small children it is the most incredible place in the world.
Stupid as it may seem... this brought tears to my eyes...

In less than 48 hours we leave for the World with my 14 month old daughter. :) :sohappy:

dixiegirl

oh scorp111 i'm so jealous!! have agreat time, we have less than2months to go!!! enjoy every moment with that 14 month old, they grow up to fast!!!

kathyjacks

we thought about the child not remembering stuff and we are not ones to go the same place every year for vacation so we had our son and said when he was at least 5 we would go then we had our daughter 2 years later and said when she turns 5 we will go well she is 5 and he is 8 and in april we are going for the first time. i think if we had went before it would have been fine. i am glad I waited because like I said we are like a 12-14 hr drive away and we aren't ones to go on repeat vacations. we have said we will go this year again then go again in 3-5 years so the things they can't ride this year they can ride next time . i think its up to you and when have children its more fun to go with them. i knwo if I didnt have children i would never have decided to go to dw. Amusement parks aren't my thing i just can't wait to see them light up!

kathyjacks

MissM said:
I'm not trying to be rude or mean in any way, honest. I just am having problems understanding bringing a two year old to WDW. Especially if you have never gotten to experience it yourself? At two, they're really, honestly and truly, far too young to ride anything, let alone recall the experience. At three I went to Busch Gardens WV and you know the only thing I recall? Feeding ducks on a bridge. Ducks.

If you've never gone, then why not consider a babysit/daycare? Disney offers wonderful on-property services for just such a thing. This way you can get a chance to really see and do the park. In a few years, when your son is older, you'll already have a better idea of the park and the rides and he will be able to better enjoy them. With a two year old in tow, it's not going to be much fun for you and not much fun for him really either.

I don't know. I'm not a parent, though a friend took her 2 1/2 y.o. to WDW this summer and they were both miserable. Heat, crowds, inability to actually ride rides - it was just a long day for her and her son. On the other hand, my goddaughter first went when she was about 6 and had a blast. She couldn't wait to go back. I know that doing things is important with your child and I commend you for that, but I just don't see the point in a vacation to Florida and Disney World when it won't get to be as much as it could be.

Maybe even just take one day for you and your wife together. You owe it to yourself to have some fun too you know! :)

Im sorry but i don't agree with you at all and your opinion might be because you are not a parent. i personally have a 5 and 8 year old and we just returned from our first dw trip 10 days ago. I have a friend who i just spoke with who is planning to take her child to dw. there is a alot of stuff you can do with you 2 year old. dont let anyone ruin you vacation. granted he/she wont remember it but heck the way my memory is i won't remember mine in 5 years either:confused: .These are my reccomendations. I would try to do some characater greetings and take some pics of you child for them as they get older with characters such as pooh, tigger ,eyore, piglet and they can all be found at the crystal palace character dinner, a good one at that.

here is a list of rides and attractions
winnie the pooh ride
winnie the pooh playground
peter pans flight
spaceship earth
pirates of the carribean
living with the land
the timon and pumba thing about the enviroment beside living with the land.
jungle cruise
cinderellabration
mickeys philharmagic(glasses wouldn't fit him/her anyway so it would be like watching tv at home for the baby)
buzz light years spaceranger- spin you would need to hold him but he will think the glowing neon things are neat:)
snow white :hurl:
killimon something safaris in ak
voyage of the little mermaid
haunted mansion
spectromagic
festival of lionking
playhouse disney
great movie ride might be a little loud but that is up to you
muppets(without glasses will be like watching tv )
cinderellas carousel
jouney with figment
dumbo the elephant ride ( ride with him obviously)
aladin flying carpets (same ride different character)
the living seas
turtle talk with crush
beauty and the beast live onstage
some guy who sat in front of us on splash mt was holding his 1 year old on your lap, i dont' reccomend it but it kind of freakedme out .so its all up to you what you feel is appropriate and you will see disney has alot for the little ones.thats just what i can remember i think there is more you can do . go to disneyworld.com select a ride and watch the little clip. when you get there besure to switch off or get a sitter and enjoy some of the other rides for yourself especially sorin, the 3 montains, missionspace,kali river rapids , really good ones. skip the stitch thing. we are stitch fans and that made me sick and was stupid.:wave: gl

JimboJones123

MissM said:

-m

The most important thing to do with kids is LOCK THEM IN THEIR ROOMS WITH WHITE WALLS AND A ______ UNTIL THEY ARE 7 AND CAN START REMEMBERING THINGS. By saying "I'm not trying to be rude or mean in any way" you are implying that you are intending to be rude -- just don't take any offense or you are the one with the problem. If you don't want to have kids -- don't. If you do -- enjoy them! We have went with our kids every year of their lives -- 2/4 now... and each while mom was pregnent too. THEY LOVE THE VACATIONS! Even at 1 they were pumped as could be.. and at 2 they couldn't wait to go back. If you don't want to have kids -- and don't want to take them on vacations, you don't have to. But it does sound better than a sandy kid on a beach vacation with lots of sunburn.

TINKERLOR

You go Dixie Girl - and MissM you have no idea!!!!!

We took our little girl two years ago - she was 22 months and had the time of her life and YES she does remember things from our first trip down there. Her memories and our memories are priceless!!!! We are leaving in one week for our third trip to Disney World and our daughter wants to do things we did 2 years ago. Until you have kids you never know the amazement and wonder. I would have never enjoyed Disney as much as I have without both of my kids being with me.

bladerunner

This past weekend we ended our DW trip at AK, as we neared the exit a young couple were loudly complaining that there were too many kids and stroller everywhere.

I have 3 kids, an 8 year old daughter and 3 year old twins boys - they've all been to DW since they were 1 year old. IMHO DW is for kids - they love it just as much as the adults. If they get scared well then you skip that ride for a while until they are ready for it again - in the mean time each park has something for all ages.

You don't skip birthdays and other events until your kids are old enough to remember them do you?

PintoColvig

I don't mean to be rude myself but I find it funny that the OP is receiving parenting advice from a childless woman. I don't mean to be demeaning in any way but how is it that people without children seem to know so much about parenting? :brick: I mean no disrespect to those without kids but I remember how arrogant I was before I became a father and thought I could out-parent parents.

Now that I am a parent, let me offer these things for consideration...
If a two year old won't remember a trip to WDW then he won't remember a trip to the beach or to the mountains. Does this mean that parents shouldn't take vacations anywhere until a child is old enough to remember them? Of course not. Should we leave our children with a sitter until we get back? That's not for me. I spend enough time at work away from my kids as it is. I'm not going to leave them for a week at a time while I go off and play.
While going to Disney without kids is different than going with kids, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is better. It's just different. Disney World, IMO, is more about experiences than atractions. Every visit to Disney, though often encompassing the same attractions, is a different experience for me and my family. What's most important is that we are having fun experiences together, whether we remember it all or not. :wave:

As to 2 yr. olds enjoying and actually remembering a Disney trip, we've been taking our kids to WDW since before they could walk. My son, who is now three, asks daily if we are going to Disney World today. His favorite ride is the big ball (SSE). He's big for his age and in Dec. was able to ride BTMRR, Splash, Soarin', and Star Tours. When he came off of Star Tours for the first time, he yelled, "Again, Daddy! Again!" :sohappy:

Kriszee1

We are actually taking our son to WDW in November for his 3rd birthday. I have borrowed a commemorative WDW DVD, and I showed it to my son. He now watches it EVERYDAY! He gets so excited when he sees Main Street and hears the music playing. He's already waving to Mickey and it's just a DVD. The look on his face when we arrive will be worth a million dollars! I suggest that you try to get your hands on this DVD set and show them to your child. They have the inside of the Pirstes ride and others as well. I also have bought the Disneyland 5o years CD and we play the music from haunted mansion and pirates as well as pooh and country bear jamboree. Everytime we hear or see Haunted Mansion we say "SPOOOOOOOKKEEEEE!" and wiggle our fingers, and we always tell him Mickey will never let anything bad happen to him. As you can tell, I have read alot of material on taking a toddler to WDW. The internet is loaded with info, but you are your child's parent...YOU know what frightens him.:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom