Rides too intense for two year olds?

Davy Crockett

Original Poster
I am making my first ever trip to Disney World this October. My wife and I are bringing our 27 month old son. I have pretty much whittled down what is not appropriate for him, but I would like to list the attractions that I think are borderline and get feedback from all you pros out there!

Here are my question rides:

1) Universe of Energy at Epcot
2) Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment at Epcot
3) Spaceship Earth at Epcot
4) Maelstrom at Epcot
5) Haunted Mansion at MK
6) Pirates of the Carribean at MK

Thanks in advance for your help.

Main Street USA

I'd add Snow White to the list. It's too scary for a 2 year old.

A lot of the ones you mentioned are more "over his head" rather than scary or inapropriate (the first three).

Other than that, none pop into my mind right away. If I think of more I'll chime in again. :)

GenerationX

My youngest son was 23 months old the first year we went, and that year we went on:

1. Spaceship Earth - he had no problems with it, but it's difficult to tell whether or not he enjoyed it.
2. Haunted Mansion - this scared him, but did not terrify him. He spent all of the doom buggy portion of the ride in his mom's arms facing backward. He made repeated inquiries as to when the ride would be over, but did not cry.

As for the other attractions you're concerned with, we went on them in later years, and he handled them well. I believe all six of the attractions you've listed have bench seating, which allows you to hold him if he doesn't like what he sees.

Have fun! :wave:

chucknstuff

:goodnevil :goodnevil

Definately GO ON
1. Mission Space
2. Rock n Roller Coaster
3. Tower of Terror
4. Space Mountain
5. Big Thunder Mountain

STAY AWAY FROM
Anything based off of a G rated movie or a kiddie show on Disney Channel

you did say 28 YEAR old...Kidding...Stay away from the rides on your list unless you want to baby swap and take turns ridding them. Peter Pan might be a good choice as well as COuntry Bear Jamboree. Tiki room will get to loud unless your baby likes Thunder. Definatly do the Jungle Cruise

MissM

I'm not trying to be rude or mean in any way, honest. I just am having problems understanding bringing a two year old to WDW. Especially if you have never gotten to experience it yourself? At two, they're really, honestly and truly, far too young to ride anything, let alone recall the experience. At three I went to Busch Gardens WV and you know the only thing I recall? Feeding ducks on a bridge. Ducks.

If you've never gone, then why not consider a babysit/daycare? Disney offers wonderful on-property services for just such a thing. This way you can get a chance to really see and do the park. In a few years, when your son is older, you'll already have a better idea of the park and the rides and he will be able to better enjoy them. With a two year old in tow, it's not going to be much fun for you and not much fun for him really either.

I don't know. I'm not a parent, though a friend took her 2 1/2 y.o. to WDW this summer and they were both miserable. Heat, crowds, inability to actually ride rides - it was just a long day for her and her son. On the other hand, my goddaughter first went when she was about 6 and had a blast. She couldn't wait to go back. I know that doing things is important with your child and I commend you for that, but I just don't see the point in a vacation to Florida and Disney World when it won't get to be as much as it could be.

Maybe even just take one day for you and your wife together. You owe it to yourself to have some fun too you know! :)
-m

tigsmom

We took our youngest when she was 18 months old. The only one on your list she didn't like was the Haunted Mansion (and at 9 its still not one of her favorites, but she goes on).

Winnie the Pooh & Peter Pan shoud be good. As someone mentioned above, The Tiki Room is dark & can get loud. My nephew had to leave because he is afraid of thunder & lightening. You know your child best, take your cues from them. :wave:

TURKEY

October shouldn't be too bad for either Mom or Dad to ride first by themselves to see what it's like before taking the child on. Lines won't be too bad and the weather should be nice as well.

MissM said:
I'm not trying to be rude or mean in any way, honest. I just am having problems understanding bringing a two year old to WDW.
-m

-m.... I have a 2yr old and don't consider your question to be rude or mean. To help you understand why bring a 2yr old... you're 100% right they probably if no definately will not remember anything. BUT the memories and pictures my wife and I have of my 16mo old with HUGE smiles and laughter on her face last sept with the characters and the rides she did go on, made that trip the absolute BEST trip we ever took to Disney even if we didnt get to see/do everything. So although it may not be an ideal trip for everyone, for some it can be the best ever.

scorp111

MissM said:
I'm not trying to be rude or mean in any way, honest. I just am having problems understanding bringing a two year old to WDW. Especially if you have never gotten to experience it yourself? At two, they're really, honestly and truly, far too young to ride anything, let alone recall the experience. At three I went to Busch Gardens WV and you know the only thing I recall? Feeding ducks on a bridge. Ducks.

-m

Like donaldduck1967, I don't consider your post rude or mean. But I think it is exactly what they said. Every day I spend with my daughter is great. Let alone when she is outside, with music playing, with family around ....

Yes, she will impact what we would have done without her at WDW, but as parents for the last 14 months... we have become accustomed to that! :lol:

But time alone is important, so that is why we have the in-laws going.....

Babysitters as needed...... :)

It is actually my wife's 6th trip and my first, so I will still get to experience most of what I want ( or so I plan).....

Two days until we go!

dixiegirl

uh ok, missm, yes like the other posts i understand that your not trying to be rude, but once you are a parent you'll understand why your bringing a two year old, we've brought our child since she was 1 and i never have regretted it every year her reaction toward the characters is better andbetter and yes i realize that she will not remember going at 1 or 2 years old but seeing her face in pictues and video is pricless ,now bringing her babysister who will be 1 when we go down we will follow the same steps we did with my oldest to make sure our trip is enjoyable.. you kind of have to play it by ear , go out early come back for a nap ( which i think we need reagrdless if you are a parent or not) i mean to try in get in afull day every day at disney your kidding yourself and setting yourself up for a disaster... but i would never go to disney without my children to see it through their eyes is so much more enjoyable, yes a little more work but worth it... well anyway we took our daughter on everything pirates , snow white you name it yes spaceship earth oh and tta was a nice break and great place to feed her if need be, i mean yes use your own judgement of course you can'nt bring them on space mountain.. you get the idea, remember take breaks and have fun......(I'm sure you spent way to much money not too!!!!) :sohappy:

wdwhoneymooner

Davy Crockett said:
Here are my question rides:

4) Maelstrom at Epcot
5) Haunted Mansion at MK

Thanks in advance for your help.

We took our son when he was 1.5 y/o and he rode on all of the above rides except Maelstrom (we knew it would be too much for him). He didn't have one anxious moment on any of the others. What may help is if you have a vacation planning dvd or pictures of the rides and give your child some exposure to what he will be seeing it could help him enjoy the experience more.....

wdwhoneymooner

MissM said:
I'm not trying to be rude or mean in any way, honest. I just am having problems understanding bringing a two year old to WDW. ..... At two, they're really, honestly and truly, far too young to ride anything, let alone recall the experience.

No offense taken here.....I actually thought exactly the same thing before we had children. I didn't think it would be worthwhile to burden oneself with caring for a young child in the Florida heat and humidity, especially if he wouldn't have any memory of the experience.

But the best retort is Exhibit A. . It's his favorite....... :D

waltdisny

I have 4 kids, and they all went to WDW or DL before their 2nd Birthday. They loved it. Yes, they couldn't enjoy it on the same level an older child could but that doesn't mean that it wasn't fun or meaningful for them. There is nothing like watching a little one's face light up when they see Small World for the first time, or meet their favorite character.

Will they remember, yes. What depends on the child. My oldest (11) remembers beeping Mickey's noze. My second oldest bonded with Dumbo, and her stuffed version is still her best friend, and so on.

As for the original list:
1. UoE: It's not scary, but the little ones get bored, it's a lengthy movie.
2. JoI: OK, one loud noise and some dark. This used to be the best ride for kids but....
3.SSE: No problem, But will they like it? Hard to say.
4.Malestrom: the backwards slide can be a bit much, but my son really enjoyed it.
5: HM: Scary. Try again when they're 5 or 6. There is a bypass if you try it anyway.
6: PoC: The dark slide can be really scary, but otherwise ok. Mine loved the music.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
4) Maelstrom at Epcot
5) Haunted Mansion at MK

Definitely not Maelstrom, Universe of Energy has big dinosaurs that may intimidate, Haunted...may be young enough not to be too scared, pirates questionable. 2 and 3 should be good.

Just as with kids and the characters, take it slow and judge by their reaction and proceed gradually.

As someone had said before, I've come to realize how loud most of the rides are to small ears. That sound and bright lights/flashes seem to bother as much as actual content.

Read through http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/infant.htm for some good hints. Also check through the site for options as far as parent swap and the like so that you get to experience some of what you might be interested in.

saltmom1

There is a dfferent focus when you bring a two year old. If your child does not like the dark, do not make a dark ride the first thing you do. Focus on the chatacyers and do Dumbo and ride Dumbo and ride Dumbo again........ That is what your child is going to want to do. What they ride depends on their temperament. That is up to you, but as someone else said definitely take breaks and definitely use the baby swap so you can enjoy too. It's very easy as a parent to get wrapped up in what the child will enjoy and ignore what you want to do.

tigsmom

wdwhoneymooner said:
No offense taken here.....I actually thought exactly the same thing before we had children. I didn't think it would be worthwhile to burden oneself with caring for a young child in the Florida heat and humidity, especially if he wouldn't have any memory of the experience.

But the best retort is Exhibit A. . It's his favorite....... :D

Don'tcha just love those ear to ear smiles? :D

meatloafsfan

If you know that your child is particularly sensitive to loud noises (or it scares them) you might want to think about getting a pair (or two) of children's earplugs - it will block out some of the noise but not all of it. One word of caution - get your child used to the ear plugs before you go to WDW so that they aren't scared of them.

If you are worried about your child in a dark ride, you can buy them a small, dim light up toy (just make sure that it is not too bright and doesn't make noise so you don't disturb other riders). It can also be invaluable for keeping them occupied during down times (meals, walking, waiting, etc)

Just a few ideas - let them go in one ear, swirl around, and let what you don't like flow out the other side....lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom