Rides for 6 & 8 year olds?

MOMI2KIDS

Original Poster
Hi we went to WDW 2 years ago, so my kiddos were 4 & 6. We kept to the normal kiddie rides, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Snow White, you get the idea.

I'd like to know if say Test Track , Space mountain, or Splash mountain are ok for these ages?
I know it depends on the kids, but my 6 year old DS is pretty daring, my DD will be 8 and is pretty excited about this trip. So I think she will be upto trying some new rides.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa
Momi2kids@cs.com:)

imagineersrock

Like you said, depends on the child. If they're the kind of kid I was(standing on tippy-toe hoping to be big enough to get on the next coaster) they should love all the rides you mentioned. If they are scared of most big attractions like the ones you mentioned... well, you know.

Regardless of the child, from my experience most LOVE Test Track. I think it is because without any big drops or inversions, it is not too "intense" -but the high speeds and outside portion are very "thrilling" for them. Most children I talk to coming off that attraction seem to be very pleased and feeling quite accomplished saying(with an ear-to-ear grin) "I just rode Test Track!"

All the attractions you mentioned are "ok" for the ages you listed, it's just a matter of whether or not that's their kind of thing.

SirGoofy

MOMI2KIDS said:
I'd like to know if say Test Track , Space mountain, or Splash mountain are ok for these ages?
I know it depends on the kids, but my 6 year old DS is pretty daring, my DD will be 8 and is pretty excited about this trip. So I think she will be upto trying some new rides.

Well, from my experience I would say give all these rides a go. My cousins of the same ages were with us, and they loved all three of these. The one ride I would be wary about is ToT. The only ride we went on that they didn't like, but I don't know if you were planning on taking them on that.

Raven66

Hi!:wave: When we went last year, my daughter was 8 and she goes on every ride. We let her decide what rides she wanted to do. When we first took her at 5 the only ride she didn't do was RnRC. She wasn't tall enough. She rides it now,tho. I won't even ride it.:lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My DS rode anything he was tall enough for as soon as he was. He never had any real problems with any of them [he claims he didn't like ToT, but has gone back - still claims he doesn't like it]. I've never pushed him onto any ride, he was always eager to try.

Judge their comfort level and let them know it's ok to say they don't want to go on a ride. Then if they choose and don't like it, they are unlikely to be as upset as if you pushed.

The first time he rod RnRC, he refused to believe me that we had gone upside down, mainly because you're going so fast it's not hard to miss it. After a few more rides, he believed :lol:

WhyteAL

Mom,
You should know your kids and what they would like....as far as being OK the only ride that I don't even like but my oldest daughter loves is Tower of Terror:lookaroun . Shes been going on that since she was tall enough but I know when my youngest daughter gets tall enough she won't like it and my nephew freaks out at the mention of that ride, LOL :lol: . But everything else don't even worry about it. Its fun let them get into the adventure of the theme for each ride and they'll love it even more. Unless you defintely know they don't like fast rides. Then just assure them its just a ride that we (as a family) are gonna try out. Have fun....wish I was going.

Ausdaddy

Lisa,

I have a 6 year old son and he loves Test Track and Dinosaur. Oddly enough, I can't get him on splash mountain because he sees the drop, but he will ride Big Thunder Mountain without a problem. For a "daring" 6 year old, I would say that, if they're willing and tall enough, let them ride it.

As others have said, every kid is different. That being said, we went last year, and my then-6-year-old enjoyed a huge variety of rides, including many she couldn't/wouldn't go on when she was four. Some of the "thrill" rides she loved:

Test Track (absolute FAVORITE!)
Splash Mountain (my then 3-year-old just made the height requirement and loved it too. But she's a brave kid...)
Thunder Mountain
Kali River Rapids
Star Tours
Primeval Whirl

She also still loved Dumbo, Pooh, etc, etc, so it was a fun trip for her...

However, we tended to avoid things that could be "spooky" or "scary" - ToT, Space Mountain (dark, and she can't sit next to me, would have to sit in front of me), Stitch, Dinosaur, even the Haunted Mansion.

Generally, we'd ask her if she wanted to ride attractions, letting her know what to expect, and she'd make her own decisions, and it's the "spooky" rides that she wanted to avoid...

wdwdave09

Rides for 6 and 8 year olds

As others have said, you are the best judge of what your kids can tolerate. With that said, here are the rides that my 6 (DS) and then 9 yr old (DD) rode when they were similar ages to your children:

MK
Splash - yes, it has the big drop, but that lasts 10 secs and the other 3 minutes are wonderful, very kid-friendly and not to be missed
BTMR - make sure to buckle them in as well as use lap bar
Space Mtn. (9 yr old only)
Barnstormer

Epcot
Soarin - don't miss this one unless very scared of heights
TT
M:S (yes, my 6 yr old did M:S and loved it - more than his parents)

MGM
ToT - remember you can always "opt-out" if it seems too scary but my kids love this ride)
RnRC (9 yr old only rode it because my 6 yr old wasn't tall enough and was still acclimating to coasters at this point)
Star Tours - both kids should love this one

AK
Dinosaur
Primevil Whirl
Kali River Rapids

My daughter hasn't found a coaster that she won't try. My son is more hesitant so (when he was 6) didn't do Space Mtn. I would be careful of Space Mtn. because its single, in-line seating and Test Track. Yes, TT is a very fun ride, but I noticed my son's head shaking around with the abrupt movements - made me very nervous at the time but I've never heard of problems with this ride. We had to prepare him for Dinosaur (its mostly in the dark, the Carnisaurous is pretty scary to kids, etc.) but we explained what it was like, that it was make-believe and he ended up riding it twice.

Hope this helps.

mayrag

My dd has 6 years. On our last trip on October she got to ride RockNROller for the first time and she loved it. She rode it twice, the first time she had just got out of ToT and she got scared even though she had rode it before; but she enjoyed RnRoller a lot. She likes Test Track, Soarin, DInosaur, SpaceMountain was her favorite, Big Thunder Mnt.

She doesn't like Splash Mountain, I think is the combination of getting wet and the big drop, so we don't push her in the ride.

Just let them ride whatever they feel comfortable...

minniemom25

When my DD was 4 1/2 (she's 6 now), she rode Splash Mountain, Test Track, BTM RR, ToT and Dinosaur. She loved Test Track and BTMRR the most but also enjoyed Splash Mountain (a little complaining about the wet!). She will not go near ToT and screams in fear when she hears the name. The look on her face in the picture is pure terror. I probably scarred her for life by taking her on it but she begged to go and was tall enough so I took her. So I might start off slow and see how it goes. She also still loves all the "kiddie" rides, which is good because my littler one won't even try stuff she's big enough for. They are all just different. I was 6 when I rode Space Mountain the first time and it's one of my favorite memories.

MOMI2KIDS

Original Poster
Huge Thanks

A huge thanks for all your help and comments.
My kids havent been on many roller coasters.
But the ones they have been on they have liked.

I'm not sure how they will do on space mt., just have to see.
And I really wasn't sure about dinosaur, it looks to be really jerky. Just being mom and worrying about that.

Thanks again.
I'm sure we will have plenty to ride.

I can't wait for July.
Lisa

Number_6

My son liked Tower of Terror at 4 years old, when his older sister convinced him to go on it. He wanted to ride again, but she was terrified after the first time. Both kids love Test Track(down for refurbishment for a little while) and my daughter likes Mission:Space. My son really likes Space Mountain and Splash Mountain, but my daughter is not really big on either. She does like Big Thunder Mountain, though. My kids are 9 and 6 now, so like others are saying, it depends on the kids. If they're willing to try something and are tall enough, I say let them give it a try. Just let them know ahead of time that if they don't like it, they don't have to go on it again.

Edit: One ride they will always agree on is Soarin' so I would recommend that one.

kathyjacks

we can't wait to try soaring but my dd rode a thing at kings dominion that was a chair that went up and down like tot and she tried to jump out at 4 years old. she will be 5 at disney , i am wondering if they are strapped in tight on soaring so she can't lean forward and fall out or anything?

Bucks4WDW

Well, the Beast is a stretch for the 6 year old as would Drop Zone, Vortex, Delirium, and Flight of Fear. Son of Beast is definitely out. The ride is too bumpy and fast for the neck strength of a child. That being said, the Racer, Top Gun, Italian Job, Adventure Express, the Beastie, and Runaway Reptar would be good for 6 or 8 year olds. Oh, you weren't asking about PKI?

Disney, huh? Well, when we went the girls were 6 and 9 and they rode everything but Mission Space, Rock and Roller Coaster, and Space Mountain. The 6 year old had a tough time on Tower of Terror as well but she lived.

Raven66

kathyjacks said:
we can't wait to try soaring but my dd rode a thing at kings dominion that was a chair that went up and down like tot and she tried to jump out at 4 years old. she will be 5 at disney , i am wondering if they are strapped in tight on soaring so she can't lean forward and fall out or anything?

When we rode it last May, my DD was 8 and I still made her double her seat belt.:lookaroun There is just the seat belt for adults and for children you put the belt thru a loop that goes between the child's legs. I hope that answers your question. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom