Rides breaking down

Goofyernmost

You've NEVER seen Test Track break down? To take a line from the Hunger Games, the odds must be ever in your favor.
I AM truly blessed. I know it breaks down, it just never has been when I have wanted to ride it, but that is one of the few that 'actually' breaks down on a regular basis. Others have small problems, many of them because they are almost as old as I am and I break down a lot lately.:)

bethymouse

POTC boats get backed up quite a bit!:eek: HM every time- I don't think I've ever ridden it straight through w/o stopping, same with Splash.:(

WDWFantasmicFan

Original Poster
A couple of breakdowns today.
MK:
- It's a small world - broke down twice. Evacuated once.
- Space Mountain - stopped, lights on and evacuated...

rct247

There is a huge difference in momentary delays/short stops and breakdowns. Most of the time you are experiencing the first which is usually due to disability loading, guests not in or out of their vehicle in a quick manner, or a minor issue with a sensor that can be fixed really quickly. Sometimes you may encounter longer stops/delays like guests out of their vehicle or resetting the attraction, but those are not always true breakdowns.

That said, I really do feel like there has been an increase in breakdowns over the past decade and especially in recent memory. I can tell you that this summer, aside from weather downtimes, that there have been numerous occasions where attractions are either not opening on time or have long downtimes. An example was that even with the refurb at TTA, it has nearly been evac'd every single day since it reopened. That is not normal.

So while I am quick to defend along with others to say that not all stops are breakdowns or mechanical issues, but I do agree that they seem to be increasing.

wdwstateofmind

Most 'breakdowns' aren't breakdowns at all. It sounds like you got stuck on rides with either a high amount of handicap people who need to have rides stopped to enter and exit them safely OR there was a fatty or two having problems exiting their seat (we've seen it quite a few times, esp on Mine Train).

donsullivan

Premium Member
Just a theory but I expect one of the variables increasing the number of short duration stops for mobility impaired access is the increased presence of ECV's in the last decade. Before ECV's were so popular, there was a group of guests who (due to mobility concerns) may not have visited the parks at all. Now they have the opportunity to visit independently vs in a wheelchair thus increasing the number of people who might need that extra time loading or unloading. No facts behind this, just a theory.

But there is also the issue of folks on TTA without mobility impairment, just taking their own sweet time getting out of the car forcing the CM to shut things down. One afternoon, from the time I got to the load platform I saw them have to shut it down 3 times before I boarded and each time was due to guests taking too long to unload. Since I was bored in line I was watching and not a one of them in this scenario showed any signs of mobility impairment; they just didn't get it in gear and get out of the car. There is threshold where if a car gets to a certain point, and the guests are not out they need to shut it down for safety. Certainly not all, but most of the short stops on TTA are caused by this.

mergatroid

Have been evac'd off Space Mountain once. It's very strange walking along the tracks with the lights on and rather time consuming for the CM's I would imagine.

Chet Dakota

Just got back from a trip for the WDW Marathon Weekend. Never had as many issues on rides as we did this trip. A summary...

-Evacuated off TT after a hard stop just as we were about to be shot out for the Power test.
- The next day, walked up to TT with a FP and the building was being emptied after a shutdown.
-“Last Game” scene screen was whacked and not working on TSM.
-Speakers cutting out and full of static in headrest on RnRC. They worked fine when the ride was slow rolling, but once it got moving, sound went out with static.
-Several of the lights on props were off on RnRC (Randy’s Donut, etc.)
-PotC was not running on our visit to MK.

Trackmaster

While we are sympathetic with the frustration of frequent stoppages, we have to agree with MrNonacho that absent further detailed information, many of these stoppages might have very well been caused by the loading and/or unloading of physically disabled riders that need extra attention in the load/unload process. We would hope that if we needed the help, other riders would be understanding, and we try to take the stoppages in stride. We are in WDW and on a ride while this is occurring. We usually find something to discuss while we wait for the ride to resume.

But the problem is that the parks don't always tell you this. Most parks have a policy of never divulging what is wrong with the ride (Disney actually subverts this, and will sometimes tell you what is wrong with this, but they usually don't). So when you're on the ride, you don't know if its a disabled guest trying to get on, if the sensors are broken and it be down for the day and you're about the get evac'd, its the apocalypse outside and there are greater things to worry about than an amusement park, etc.

If its as benign as a disabled guest slowing down the operations, just say that over the loudspeaker, or even better put a screen in the vehicles that types out all communication.

Goofyernmost

But the problem is that the parks don't always tell you this. Most parks have a policy of never divulging what is wrong with the ride (Disney actually subverts this, and will sometimes tell you what is wrong with this, but they usually don't). So when you're on the ride, you don't know if its a disabled guest trying to get on, if the sensors are broken and it be down for the day and you're about the get evac'd, its the apocalypse outside and there are greater things to worry about than an amusement park, etc.

If its as benign as a disabled guest slowing down the operations, just say that over the loudspeaker, or even better put a screen in the vehicles that types out all communication.
Except in the real world, if they don't go any further then to say it stopped and will resume shortly, and it does, it is within your power to assume that is what it is and not have to embarrass the person who's physical condition gets broadcast to a huge number of people that are just riding a theme park ride, and have no reason to know what caused it. If it is a serious breakdown, you will be told. When they don't tell you it is because they really expect it to start up quickly. If it doesn't you are told.

eliza61nyc

If its as benign as a disabled guest slowing down the operations, just say that over the loudspeaker, or even better put a screen in the vehicles that types out all communication

And get bad press or worst sued for embarrassment. Sorry if I had some type of issue, I would NOT APPRECIATE the entire ride knowing about it and would definitely be majorly ed if some cm broadcasted it to the world

Trackmaster

And get bad press or worst sued for embarrassment. Sorry if I had some type of issue, I would NOT APPRECIATE the entire ride knowing about it and would definitely be majorly ****ed if some cm broadcasted it to the world

There's no "suing somebody for embarrassment." Truth is an absolute defense to defamation. There would only be a potential tort if Disney claimed that a guest was disabled when they were not. In general, defamation cases require some kind of lie to be told. Or, potentially if you had a legally executed non-disclosure agreement that one side violated. Obviously Disney is not signing such a thing for one guest without considerable consideration in return. The only remedy would be bad press, or getting the ADA involved. But I believe that Disney is in compliance with the ADA, and that would be a decision for the lawyers on both sides to hash out.

Personally, I feel like parks should have to be explicit about why rides are malfunctioning, stopping, or deviating from the planned course. It may be obvious to you, but not everybody knows what you know. These are potentially dangerous rides, and as a passenger you shouldn't be conditioned to be so trusting and passive when it comes to irregularities. You deserve to be kept in the loop when things happen.

eliza61nyc

There's no "suing somebody for embarrassment." Truth is an absolute defense to defamation. There would only be a potential tort if Disney claimed that a guest was disabled when they were not. In general, defamation cases require some kind of lie to be told. Or, potentially if you had a legally executed non-disclosure agreement that one side violated. Obviously Disney is not signing such a thing for one guest without considerable consideration in return. The only remedy would be bad press, or getting the ADA involved. But I believe that Disney is in compliance with the ADA, and that would be a decision for the lawyers on both sides to hash out.

Personally, I feel like parks should have to be explicit about why rides are malfunctioning, stopping, or deviating from the planned course. It may be obvious to you, but not everybody knows what you know. These are potentially dangerous rides, and as a passenger you shouldn't be conditioned to be so trusting and passive when it comes to irregularities. You deserve to be kept in the loop when things happen.

lol, you're probably right but in today's society, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that someone would sue saying Disney caused them emotional trauma and they were unable to enjoy the rest of their lives because of it.

There are such things as privacy laws also, do you deserve to know whats going on with me just to be kept in the loop? that's a question.
Sorry I disagree. If I'm pregnant and have an incident on a ride, how is it any of your business or concern?

Why do you need to know someone is struggling to get on a ride because of their disability? Does knowing make it go faster? Yes they are dangerous rides but I'm not sure how knowing someone with a disability having an issue, makes it less dangerous for you? If the ride is stuck all you need to know is the safety rules. such as stay seated or if they are going to evacuate. Again if the ride breaks down because someone has a heart attack, you absolutely do NOT need to know that. that is private medical information. All you need to know is that there has been an issue and they are asking you to evacuate. If you ask a cm, all you would need to know is "sorry Ma'am, we are having an issue and hope it will be resolve quickly, please stay seated with the safety bar secured".

IMO, all you need to know is the basic information. ride is down. I do not feel it is any of the general public's business if the ride is shut down due to a situation with another guest unless that guests action could have a direct effect on your safety. fire? Yes, Hurricane? absolutely. God forbid, active shooter? definitely. A guy in a wheel chair needing assistance absolutely not.

Again just me, if I had a disability and the cm decided to blare it across the loudspeaker or post it publicly, you better believe I'd be lawyering up and calling the tv station. There is no good reason you need to know anyone else difficulties or business to ride any ride.
Seriously can you imagine the hell that would break out if a cm said " ladies and gentlemen there is a delay because a guest with cerebral palsy is having difficulties "?? Lol

EDITED: I do not speak for the disabled community.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

lol, you're probably right but in today's society, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that someone would sue saying Disney caused them emotional trauma and they were unable to enjoy the rest of their lives because of it.

There are such things as privacy laws also, do you deserve to know whats going on with me just to be kept in the loop? that's a question.
Sorry I disagree. If I'm pregnant and have an incident on a ride, how is it any of your business or concern?

Why do you need to know someone is struggling to get on a ride because of their disability? Does knowing make it go faster? Yes they are dangerous rides but I'm not sure how knowing someone with a disability having an issue, makes it less dangerous for you? If the ride is stuck all you need to know is the safety rules. such as stay seated or if they are going to evacuate. Again if the ride breaks down because someone has a heart attack, you absolutely do NOT need to know that. that is private medical information. All you need to know is that there has been an issue and they are asking you to evacuate. If you ask a cm, all you would need to know is "sorry Ma'am, we are having an issue and hope it will be resolve quickly, please stay seated with the safety bar secured".

IMO, all you need to know is the basic information. ride is down. I do not feel it is any of the general public's business if the ride is shut down due to a situation with another guest unless that guests action could have a direct effect on your safety. fire? Yes, Hurricane? absolutely. God forbid, active shooter? definitely. A guy in a wheel chair needing assistance absolutely not.

Again just me, if I had a disability and the cm decided to blare it across the loudspeaker or post it publicly, you better believe I'd be lawyering up and calling the tv station. There is no good reason you need to know anyone else difficulties or business to ride any ride.
Seriously can you imagine the hell that would break out if a cm said " ladies and gentlemen there is a delay because a guest with cerebral palsy is having difficulties "?? Lol

EDITED: I do not speak for the disabled community.

You clearly haven't been in and out of the courtroom that much. Yes, in America the solution is always to hire up a lawyer and get your payday, but life doesn't workout like a procedural legal show. The only time these people ever get any money is when the defendant just thinks they'd save more money giving them a closed settlement ("hush money") than to bury them in court. And that's a great scenario for a plaintiff. In reality, a major corporation would bury them and the two bit lawyer that they hired, regardless of merit. For a frivolous case like this, I doubt any lawyer would waste their time taking a contingency. They'll take your money, but you have to be willing to pay their $500 an hour and travel expenses. So you'll be out $20,000, not any closer to a settlement. You might even get counter-sued by the corporation too for the cost of their legal fees (and they won't be hiring any $500 an hour ambulance chaser, they'll be hiring a prestigious $1,000 an hour firm).

But what the park CAN be sued for is causing bodily harm or injury to a guest and not properly documenting that they gave as much information to a guest before riding. I mean, they'll be sued either way for an injury, but the settlement will be a bit less if the corporation can show that they at least at attempted to communicate the risks to the guest on a regular basis.

I'd love to see the how hard a judge will laugh when he sees a case on his docket for "infliction of embarrassment."

eliza61nyc

You clearly haven't been in and out of the courtroom that much. Yes, in America the solution is always to hire up a lawyer and get your payday, but life doesn't workout like a procedural legal show. The only time these people ever get any money is when the defendant just thinks they'd save more money giving them a closed settlement ("hush money") than to bury them in court. And that's a great scenario for a plaintiff. In reality, a major corporation would bury them and the two bit lawyer that they hired, regardless of merit. For a frivolous case like this, I doubt any lawyer would waste their time taking a contingency. They'll take your money, but you have to be willing to pay their $500 an hour and travel expenses. So you'll be out $20,000, not any closer to a settlement. You might even get counter-sued by the corporation too for the cost of their legal fees (and they won't be hiring any $500 an hour ambulance chaser, they'll be hiring a prestigious $1,000 an hour firm).

But what the park CAN be sued for is causing bodily harm or injury to a guest and not properly documenting that they gave as much information to a guest before riding. I mean, they'll be sued either way for an injury, but the settlement will be a bit less if the corporation can show that they at least at attempted to communicate the risks to the guest on a regular basis.

I'd love to see the how hard a judge will laugh when he sees a case on his docket for "infliction of embarrassment."

Hey I absolutely am the first to admit, I am no where near a lawyer, judge, legal expert or any thing close to even court stenographer but in this day of lawyer up, bad publicity and or viral media, I can't even imagine Disney attempting to disclose some one's private and medical information.

now I don't know how you took this and stretched this to some one being bodily injured on a ride?? that's hyperbole, we were discussing a ride breaking down which for the most part means you are inconvenienced.

And when has Disney "counter sued" anyone??? again, that's a question. lol. Now I work for a major corporation and 99.9% they settle, we have our own legal department so again not sure how that works.

But as you try to deflect, we'll have to politely disagree , I cannot see any situation where you (the general public) would need to know or have any right to know whats going on with anyone else at the park especially someone with a disability, just because a ride breaks down and you have to wait.

And again you are right, I have no idea how court cases work but I do know if a cm pulled a stunt like going on a pa system and releasing my disability to the general public, I'd be finding out and all heck would be breaking loose.

And again I ask why if you are waiting for a broken ride you need to know if it's cause by someone with a disability? In what way is this helpful information.?

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

All the legal bull-crap aside, the problem with the rides stopping briefly to enable someone with mobility problems to get on the rides has been happening since day one. I guess that the riders back then had an IQ high enough to understand that is what was happening and just mind their own business. We do not have a reason to know, especially if it starts up after a short time. Common sense (something that is in seriously short supply lately) is what was used to understand and not give it a second thought about it. Any complaint from a "me only" guests should be given the attention that it deserves, which is absolutely none. Go with the flow or go home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom