Ride/Roller Coaster sizes for 'larger' people question?

rocketscientist

Original Poster
Hello all,

I'm new here and my girlfriend and I are going to Disney World at the end of the month. I'm somewhat of a larger guy, not too obese, but I'm both tall (6ftish) and overweight (~40/42 pants), so I was wondering if anyone knows if any of the rides have trouble fitting larger people?

I go to Cedar Point every now and then, but they've sewn up their seatbelts short because there's been a few fatalities in the past 10 years of people who were too big for the safety stuff, and some of the other rides have harnesses that can't have the bottom part buckle because I'm too tall. Cedar Point was the only park I ever had any trouble in but I was wondering if anyone knew about Disney?

I know disney doesn't have a lot of rides where this is a huge concern, but specifically, I'm a little bit of an 'adrenaline junkie' and coaster fan, so I was wondering about the Rock'n'Roller coaster, the new Everest Coaster, the Test Track, and the Mission: Space things, as well as the other 'mountains'.

Thanks for any feedback!

sknydave

The only ride I think there *may* be an issue with is Rock n Rollercoaster. The others are lap bars and test track's belts shouldn't be a problem at all. I've noticed that one of the rows of the Hulk coaster over at IOA has a row for larger guests who may not fit in the regular seats. Not sure if RnR has that? I'm sure some of the CM's who post here will know

disneydata

You'll be fine on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. I'm a little bigger then you and I ride all the time (very comfortably). I don't have problems with any other Disney ride except the simulator at DisneyQuest.

rocketscientist

Original Poster
Thank you! RnR coaster was the least I was worried, I actually have a buddy who's about 6 inches taller than me and even bigger and he said he fit there once, but he was a little thinner then. I hope I can, its my favorite coaster actually, but I haven't been on it in 5 years and I'm a little taller now.

Figment82

If you're worried about Everest, they do have a car behind the gift shop (near the single riders entrance) that you can try out before you get in line. It's out of public view so you have some privacy.

lilmizpixie3

I think you would have a problem with space mountain, I am only 5'7 and I feel like my head is going to get chopped off. But leg space is very limited on that ride. Other than that you should be ok. If you sit in the front of rockin rollarcoaster it may be better with leg room. The restraint isnt held down with a strap so it should fit. Goodluck and have fun!

mousebymarriage

I recommend going to a website called allearsnet.com (also know as Debs unoffical guide to WDW). When you go on the site go to the planning section , there you will find a section called WDW at Large, it is located on the left side of youyr screnn about 3/4 of the way down the page. It will give you a description of the rides and if they can accomodate a larger person. Also if you click on the "At Large Trip Reports" section in the WDW at Large area it will give you some really great reviews by people who are large (whether it's by height , weight or both). These people have riden the rides and are totally honest. Good Luck!

shumphr2

Hey there!!!! My dad is about your size exactly.....We were just there in May and he had no problem what so ever with any of the rides (RnRC, Everest, BTMRR, Space Mountain, M:S) ....Go and enjoy!!!!!!:wave:

sprocketfish

My dad is about the same size as the OP and he went on everything in WDW with no problem... I was concerned b/c he had difficulty with rides at Cedar Point and Busch Gardens, but he was very comfortable at WDW... I'm glad that the "test" seat for EE is hidden; when they are out in the front of the ride, like at other parks, it is hard to decide what is more embarrassing using the test seat or being turned away on the loading deck...

cb3k

I too can see space mountain being a problem...Im 6"1 180 and I feel that leg room is very limited (they are not the widest of rockets either)...I think you should still be able to ride, but it may be very uncomfortable.

littlered

my dh is 6'4" and bigger around than you and he does not have any problems on anything. On some of the rides he does request the front of the car for leg room. now that I am thinking about it the ride that gives him trouble is Dinosaur at AK, that ride does not have much leg room.

mousebymarriage

my dh is 6'4" and bigger around than you and he does not have any problems on anything. On some of the rides he does request the front of the car for leg room. now that I am thinking about it the ride that gives him trouble is Dinosaur at AK, that ride does not have much leg room.
Dinosaur also doesn't have much butt room either. The sides are hard plastic and the ride has very jerky movements. It can leave a nasty bruise if you are a larger bottomed person like me. Talk about squeezing 10 pounds of meat into a 5 pound bag, OUCH!:lookaroun

DisnFanatic10

I will tell you that Rockin Roller Coaster you should be able to fit in. Space Mountain is a very uncomfortable fit, I'm 6'3 33 waist and my legs are very squished. However I have found that I like to ride in the front car as it seems like it is much more open. maybe it is just a mine game though? Everest has a lap bar so you should be fine.

ChuckFromCanada

Parrothead & Disney Fanatic.
I'm 6' feet tall and around 190 lbs and found space mtn. to be the tightest of the coasters, I fit fine but it was a little hard on my sides.

wulfgeat

I was at Disney at 6 footish with a 42-44 waist. Did not do any rides at MGM, but had no problems with anything else. Space Mountain was fine. It might *feel* like you are going to get your head knocked off, but that is part of the fun. You are probably like I was. Squished, I don't mind. Not fitting or fitting so poorly that my wife gets to collect on my life insurance. That I am worried about.

Chezman1399

I know a guy, a teacher in high school, who is probably over 300 lbs and 6'7", he got on Space Mountain fine, but split his pants on the way off, but I'm pretty sure that had more to do with the pants then the ride, so I wouldn't imagine anything else realy being a problem. That's probably the tightest fit of any coaster down there.

Gig 'Em Mickey

You'll be fine. I'm 6-1 250, got about a 44 inch can... I fit in everything just fine. Obviously you'll be a bit snug, but that's ok. It's a short ride. But you should fit fine. You might be able to request a private clam shell for nemo though.....

wilary

I'm 6'4" and carry a few pounds over. Leg room is more of a problem than seat width. Here are some tips that I can offer:

RNRC: Ask for an odd numbered row. This is the front of each two row car and has more leg room than the back.

TT: Ask for the front row of the car. Just like your auto at home, the front has more leg room than the back.

SPACE MTN: Each of the seats is the same. My legs can't be fully extended so the lap bar only comes up to mid thigh. Trust me, you ain't going anywhere. The ride is enjoyable, but some of those turns leave bruises.

SPLASH MTN: Be careful getting into the log as the entrance is snug, but once you're in it's quite comfortable. Bear in mind, that the log will like tilt to the side you're sitting on. Try to sit on the left side otherwise you'll be doused by the post drop waterfall on the right.

RIDES WITH SEAT BELTS (ToT, Star Tours, Dinosaur, etc): Pull the seat belt out all the way before you sit down. Then sit down, get situated and then buckle it.

These are the ones that come to mind. Most everything else is not a problem. EVEREST is surprisingly very roomy.

The absolute worst, by the way, is the parking lot trams. No leg room at all. Try to sit on the end so at least one foot can rest down in the step well.

Enjoy your trip! If I can do it, a short guy like yourself should have no problems....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom