Ride Opinion: Great Movie Ride

WDWJunkie

Banned
Original Poster
It never ceases to amaze me that whenever I decide to take in the Great Movie Ride, there's never a wait in line. This isn't the most exciting of rides, or anything thrilling, but it's still very interesting and always worthwhile. Now, that's not to say it couldn't use some new or changed scenes of films from years' past, or an updated finale, but I still always enjoy this attraction. Anyone else?

conntom

Hi WDWJunkie I love Movies I have 940 VHS and 316 DVDs
and to go on the Great Movie Ride to me is a lot of fun to
see the Movies come to life. But you are right it could use
a little fixing or up dateing. So yes I love this ride.:)

mwitkus

A day at MGM is not complete without enjoying the Great Movie Ride... Yes, it could probably use a few updates, but for the most part, it's a great tribute to movies of yesteryear...

:)

BRER STITCH

In stead of updating it, they are just going to call it:

"MOVIES WE WANT YOU TO LOVE!"

:lol:

I posted my feelings on another thread here recently.
My ideas included a simple film update after the Oscars each year to include the new winners.

The show scenes can be argued over forever, but it really SHOULD be about the movies, and the more popular ones represented, the better!

:sohappy:

MicBat

I, too, love this ride. I really like seeing all the old movie trailers while waiting in line and the cool set-esque area whenever you board the ride. The cm working this ride are usually pretty funny.

meeko_33785

I really like this ride. Great sets and animatronics from classic films, the great special effects, and the live actors and the gangster/ cowboy hijack makes this oe of the most original and interesting attraction in WDW. Definatly two thumbs up!

Dayma

OK I love this ride but for people that are not avid movie fans they may no "get it".

The one thing that could use a little updating is the whole idea of getting hijacked by the cast. They just need to do something a tad different to update it. I am also not that fond of the Fantasia part, it just seems like it was stuck there last minute to add a disney film......How about put the Lion King or Toy Story in there. Kids and adults would love it......

Also put a new section at the end for new movies that won oscars...

Epcot is my fav

I like the Great Movie Ride, its a lot of fun and its shows great scences from great movies BUT i would love to see it updated because there are so many new and great movies that should be included in this ride

EmeraldDolphin

I always enjoy The Great Movie Ride too... it's a nice change of pace and something that everyone will go on... not everyone in my party will do TOT or Rockin'RollerCoaster... this is something we can all do together. :)

jenjie

I am not a movie buff but the Great Movie Ride is my favorite. I think that whole Munchkinland scene from Wizard of Oz did it for me. :lol:

One tidbit I learned during the pre-show, the CM said during "singing in the rain", they were really singing in milk. I guess it showed up better on camera.

GenerationX

Split decision on this one. The adults liked it, but the live-action parts with the CMs scared the doody out of the kids. :lookaroun

CaptChris

I thoroughly enjoy Great Movie Ride. The whole experience, the animatronics, the size and scope are all great. The oly downside is that they use movies that generally are extremely old. The newest is Raiders of the Lost Ark, and that was made in 1980!

I am all for keeping the classics, but people buy the tickets, and we are all getting older. TNT network has a new catch phrase--"the new classics"

I think that it is time for Disney Imagineering to incoroporate some "new classics" to the Great Movie Ride. Armageddon, Pearl Harbor (not the greatest movie)would be a good place to start. With all of the Touchstone, and Hollywood Pictures Movies, there is bound to be plenty of great stuff that could elevate GMR to one of the hottest attraction on the WDW property.

meeko_33785

Originally posted by CaptChris
I thoroughly enjoy Great Movie Ride. The whole experience, the animatronics, the size and scope are all great. The oly downside is that they use movies that generally are extremely old. The newest is Raiders of the Lost Ark, and that was made in 1980!

I am all for keeping the classics, but people buy the tickets, and we are all getting older. TNT network has a new catch phrase--"the new classics"

I think that it is time for Disney Imagineering to incoroporate some "new classics" to the Great Movie Ride. Armageddon, Pearl Harbor (not the greatest movie)would be a good place to start. With all of the Touchstone, and Hollywood Pictures Movies, there is bound to be plenty of great stuff that could elevate GMR to one of the hottest attraction on the WDW property.

I still think it's a bit too early to pick out what "new classics" should hold a place on the GMR. Pearl Harbor and Armageddon have not become classics in the same way as something like Indiana Jones or Wizard of Oz and many of the movies that could be considered "new classics" would not necissarily make interesting scenes (Shakespeare in Love, Chicago) or are not owned by Disney, MGM, or Lucas (Forest Gump, Titanic). Also, all of the films on the GMR currently are either rated G or PG since it is a family park and, quite honestly, with a few exceptions not a lot of "Great Movies" have been released that are G or PG in the last few years. It will take some time to see what new films could work on the ride.

Sir Hiss527

It's an ok ride, to go on when it's crowded in the parks. But it just moves way too slow. It's cool how it takes you through the History of movies.

-Sir Hiss527-

"Stop Hissing in my Ear":king:

mkfan23

I think that this ride is well done, but it's not one of those attractions you want get right back on. Something missing? Too slow and maybe a little boring.

I enjoy TGMR whenever we go to the Studios, but it's starting to lack something. I don't think they can go and change any of the scenes themselves but they need to update or replace the montage at the end. Like some have said, it needs to be redone every year so as to include the most recent Oscar winners. I also don't really find it long enough. I'm not saying they should make it 10 minutes, but a good 5 minute film at the end would be good. The one thing that I've noticed on recent rides is that they don't really play the montage till the end. It's still going when the Hooray For Hollywood music starts and you're on your way.

wyattkelly

I posted a while back about this, but the Great Movie Ride needs an update. They need to toss in some different films, past John Wayne and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Though I doubt they could ever do Matrix, but what about Tombstone or Gladiator? Some great possibilities there.I wish all the rides at Disney could be updated with the newest technologies.

Jerm

Originally posted by meeko_33785
Also, all of the films on the GMR currently are either rated G or PG since it is a family park and, quite honestly, with a few exceptions not a lot of "Great Movies" have been released that are G or PG in the last few years. It will take some time to see what new films could work on the ride.

Actually Alien was rated R by the MPAA when it was released in 1979. Also I think some great classic movies have been put out in recent time, but most of them were not Disney or MGM. I think what they have in there is a good timeline of movies as far as the scenes go with a good touch of all the classic stuff in there and the diffrent genres. But the film at the end is really the topper for the attraction.

Jerm

EpcoTim

I like it. And since I think most movies shot in the last 10 years are garbage, Im glad they havent updated it. Maybe add some references to Vacation, or the Caddyshack quote and it would be perfect. I think they did a good job with this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom