Ride Operation Questions for Former CM's

TOTGuy

Original Poster
I am planning on applying for the Career Start program at WDW after my graduation in 07 and I have a few questions about working in ride operations.

When you interview/are hired do they tell you what ride you will work on?

Is there an opportunity to request attractions?

Can you request a transfer of attractions?

How does Disney handle the summer heat? Do you get water breaks often? Etc..

How long do you stay in each position (Load, Unload, Queue, Tower, Greeter, etc.) before you rotate?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

SewIn2Disney

Just a warning...this thread will probably get moved...but in any case...I have a question for you. I can't anwser any of your questions, but could you tell me what the Career Start Program is? To make a long story short, I had been planning on graduating from college a semester early so I could go do the college program, but the college screwed up the course guide, changed things, and I got screwed....so now I'm here for the full 4 years.
I had thought that I couldn't do the program anymore, but your Carreer Start Program has me interested agian.
Thanks for any anwsers you can help me with!

LostNametag

If they handle the Career Start anything like they do the College Program, they will give you a list of the places that you can work. Example- Merchadise, Attractions, Custodial, House Keeping, Vacation Planner. I am not sure if they let High Schoolers pick from all of them, or just have certain ones. Doesnt the website tell you? I have looked at it before, because I didnt know what it was. Only when you are hired will they tell you where they put you. And based from CP experience, they try to put you in your first choice. The rotation periods depend on where you work. I was in Merchandise and in my main area of the park, we didnt really rotate. But when I worked Tower of Terror Gifts and Rock n Roller Coaster, they rotated us every 45 mins. I imagine attractions are similar to that because of all the different things you learn out to do. ex- load, unload, spiel, all that neat stuff. Hope this help you out! Again, I am only going off what they did for the College Program, but feel it might be similar. If anyone else has info, feel free to correct me! °o°

pluto77

SewIn2Disney said:
Just a warning...this thread will probably get moved...but in any case...I have a question for you. I can't anwser any of your questions, but could you tell me what the Career Start Program is? To make a long story short, I had been planning on graduating from college a semester early so I could go do the college program, but the college screwed up the course guide, changed things, and I got screwed....so now I'm here for the full 4 years.
I had thought that I couldn't do the program anymore, but your Carreer Start Program has me interested agian.
Thanks for any anwsers you can help me with!
I don't know what your situation is, but they do let you do the college program the semester after you graduate. So if you were graduating in the Spring you can apply for the fall program.

TOTGuy

Original Poster
Thanks, what do they do heat-wise for CM's during the summer? It has got to be hot in those costumes!

Wilt Dasney

Heat depends on your assignment, obviously. In my case, I was indoors most of the time and when I was outside...you dealt with it for the 20-30 minutes you were in position.

Primarily outdoor positions tend to feature lighter costumes.

donaldfan

During my College Program, I worked in the summer heat of the then TomorrowLand Speedway. It was hot, and so were those 70's polyester suits (they weren't updated like the rest of TLand like they are now).

Anywho, we rotated like every 15 - 30 minutes. 3 - 4 on stage for every 1 off. Some positions were real easy (stand out on the track to make sure no one gets out of the car) or more difficult (jump on the cars as they approached load/unload).

I also worked in Casting. Yes, you can request a transfer. You can also be very specific about which attraction/area you want to transfer to. Be prepared to wait for more popular attractions. (JC, GMR, HM, TOT) Your first position you should be prepared for quick service or cusodial. I would opt for custodial because you get to walk around and sorta be your own boss. I worked a few shifts and I sorta felt pride in helping keep the place clean. Alot of people were bored with vacation planner.

It's a fun place to work as long as you can handle the stress!

Good Luck!

LostNametag

Unless the College Program people have changed the rules, one must have completed one semester in college to go on the College Program. Go in to Merchandise at MGM, Backlot. Costume consists of polo shirt and shorts. Its awesome! And so not embarassing like some of the others. And as for "water breaks" if you are outside at a cart or outdoor shop, you get issued a water bottle. You can actually drink this on stage..nothing else though. I am guessing they do that for all of the outdoor merchandise/food service CMs. Breaks consist of 15 or 30 minute breaks depending on what hours you are working that day. During that time you can eat or just chill as they dont have offical "lunch breaks" or "dinner breaks". Hope this helps as well. Anymore questions, just ask. =)

frcouk83

The Career Start program is a new program. It is going to allow you to come down and work at Walt Disney World between High School and College. It is very similar to the College Program except in the begining they will give you the option of staying for up to a year. Just remember to give your preference as to where you would want to work. The people that you work and live with will be an experience and time in your life that you will not forget.

coln84

Wilt Dasney said:
Heat depends on your assignment, obviously. In my case, I was indoors most of the time and when I was outside...you dealt with it for the 20-30 minutes you were in position.

Primarily outdoor positions tend to feature lighter costumes.
There are no costumes is Disney! Only Characters!!

goonsquads57

I know every job has a certain level of stress, but could you elaborate on the types of stress that are involved? I guess one would not instantly relate stress and WDW. It's a side of WDW that the ordinary clod (like me) wouldn't consider. Thanks for any insight.

donaldfan said:
During my College Program, I worked in the summer heat of the then TomorrowLand Speedway. It was hot, and so were those 70's polyester suits (they weren't updated like the rest of TLand like they are now).

Anywho, we rotated like every 15 - 30 minutes. 3 - 4 on stage for every 1 off. Some positions were real easy (stand out on the track to make sure no one gets out of the car) or more difficult (jump on the cars as they approached load/unload).

I also worked in Casting. Yes, you can request a transfer. You can also be very specific about which attraction/area you want to transfer to. Be prepared to wait for more popular attractions. (JC, GMR, HM, TOT) Your first position you should be prepared for quick service or cusodial. I would opt for custodial because you get to walk around and sorta be your own boss. I worked a few shifts and I sorta felt pride in helping keep the place clean. Alot of people were bored with vacation planner.

It's a fun place to work as long as you can handle the stress!

Good Luck!

Wilt Dasney

MrNonacho said:
We're not talking about characters here. Cast members do wear costumes. It's their term for "uniform."

Correcto. The guy who serves you popcorn is wearing a costume. Mickey, of course, shows up to work in his regular clothes. :)

coasterphil

I'm planning on doing the Career Start program as well, because I have no idea what I want to do concerning college. I figured that I might as well move down there, establish residency and then go to a Florida school once I have a better idea of what I want to do.

LostNametag

Stress in Merchandise/ Merchantainment includes masses of people all wanting your attention at once, and you have to smile and entertian them while answering their questions/ working the cash register/ making coffee(Writer's Stop)...Just going off of my experience on those. I got to be pretty good at juggling all of it, while some of my fellow CMs did not. I imagine that with attractions it can be worse at times. People arguing because they want their child to ride, but he/she is too small, or when the ride goes down and people get angry because they had been waiting in the heat for over an hour. It can get kind of crazy, but you get used to it and learn how to handle any situation. Anyone else have any examples?

tinkerbella

I worked all of the attractions in Tomorrowland and while it was a lot of fun and an experience I will never forget, sometimes it did get difficult and tiresome among other things. If it's 90 degrees or higher outside, you are going to get hot. Unless you are going to pass out you will not get regular water breaks. As others have said, for an 8 hr shift you will get 2 15 min breaks and your 30 min lunch. If it is raining and you are outside, you are going to get wet. No coming in to get out of it with the exception of severe weather. Costumes are not cool, Guests are not always easy to get along with and summer and holiday seasons will wear you out. But if it is what you truly want to do then I would say go for it.

Also, when I was hired on as a full time CM, even if you get to choose what park and area you want to go to ie Magic Kingdom attractions in Tomorrowland, you may not always get the ride you want. The training coordinator and schedulers in the area choose where they will put you. Tomorrowland could be Space Mountain, or the Stitch/Buzz Complex or the Indy Speedway. So never get your hopes up too high. Just remember where ever you work, your time there will be what you make of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom