Rian Johnson still in the mix for new Star Wars Movies

lazyboy97o

I'm sorry but your cryptic message about Disney killing projects didn't convey that. Sometimes its just better to come straight out and post your point. :)

So I pose this question to you. I'm using just pure BO to define the financial success of the sequel movies, you know the same thing that we use for all other Disney movies including the MCU. Its either they were a financial success or they bombed, there is no qualifiers here because we don't use them with other films. Why is Star Wars different?
This right here is what I am taking issue with. What you are using to define financial success is not what is always used by the studios. It’s not always about what we would consider to be a success using an objective, consistent metric. They do act inconsistently and do deem profitable projects to be financial failures.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This right here is what I am taking issue with. What you are using to define financial success is not what is always used by the studios. It’s not always about what we would consider to be a success using an objective, consistent metric. They do act inconsistently and do deem profitable projects to be financial failures.
Well this is where we're just going to disagree. I get your point, and appreciate your opinion, but just disagree. I can understand decisions within the studio are made on projects due to various reasons, including "not profitable enough". But that doesn't mean externally we can't say they weren't financially successful. So whether you take issue with it or not, I'll continue to say that the sequels were a financial success but not a creative success. :)

Professortango1

The fans are the best thing to happen to star wars. If it wasn't for them it wouldn't be what it is. We kept it alive when it was completely out of the pop culture consciousness. The vast majority of the complaints with the sequels are valid. I'd say the worst thing to happen to star wars, was zero plan Kennedy.
That's the attitude which has turned the fans tyrannical. They think they own SW and SW should serve them. Its why we saw Mando season 2 go down the rabbit hole of character cameos replacing storytelling. Its why so many actors have said they would never do another SW film after harassment and toxicity. They are the reason Lucas sold it to Disney.

The sequel trilogy isn't perfect. I enjoy TLJ, but it has some issues. But making Luke interesting and complex isn't one of them. But the rabid fans had a meltdown and review bombed it and future installments.

And lets also admit that the OT isn't perfect either. Even my beloved New Hope and Empire have some issues.

I love Indiana Jones, but its odd that nobody sent death threats to those who were involved with Crystal Skull. They just didn't like the movie. I love Back to the Future, but us fans are not demanding more sequels and prequels and spin offs. We are content with loving the trilogy. The Trekkies didn't revolt with the new trilogy of Star Trek films being different than what they were hoping for. There seems to be something very specific about SW fans. The movies are aimed at 12 year olds, and I feel a large portion of the uber fans have matured a day since.

And let me say this: I have friends who are fans of SW, so I know its not ALL fans. We play our Star Wars RPG's and nerd out. They watch all the cartoons and everything and can still look at the films objectively.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Well this is where we're just going to disagree. I get your point, and appreciate your opinion, but just disagree. I can understand decisions within the studio are made on projects due to various reasons, including "not profitable enough". But that doesn't mean externally we can't say they weren't financially successful. So whether you take issue with it or not, I'll continue to say that the sequels were a financial success but not a creative success. :)
You saying you think they were a financial success is different from saying Disney considered them a financial success. You were previously saying Disney must have considered them a success because they were profitable.

erasure fan1

Its why so many actors have said they would never do another SW film after harassment and toxicity. They are the reason Lucas sold it to Disney.
So many actors? Boyega said he won't do it. Not because of the fans, but because of how Disney treated him and his character. Isaacs wasn't all that happy with Disney either and the way the movies played out. And Tran still continues to voice the character. And someone earlier said Daisy was willing to reprise her character.
The Trekkies didn't revolt with the new trilogy of Star Trek films being different than what they were hoping for.
I guess you weren't paying attention when into darkness came out. How about the backlash for the final season of game of thrones? And I will disagree with your crystal skull statement as well. Indiana Jones is not nearly as relevant as star wars. But that movie still gets pounded on by the fans. Have you seen what's going on with Lord of the rings? When you don't respect what made a franchise what it is, fans won't be happy. That doesn't mean they don't want new things. There is a right and wrong way to do fan service.

Again, I'm not saying all fans are saints. But the fans just aren't the reason star wars is where it is. You said fans are why mando became a rabbit hole of cameos replacing storytelling. I'm not sure if you have watched cobra kai, but that is a rabbit hole of cameos as well. But it's universally loved by the fans, just like most fans love mando. Heck, season one of mando was loaded with tons of OT call backs and characters. Why? Because Jon an Dave are huge fans. There is gatekeeping in EVERY franchise. Is that bad? It can be. Most fans just want good star wars. I ask you this. If doing things that the fans want to see or expect is so bad. Why buy the franchise with the largest pop culture base of any franchise? Just make your own sci-fi universe.

Professortango1

So many actors? Boyega said he won't do it. Not because of the fans, but because of how Disney treated him and his character. Isaacs wasn't all that happy with Disney either and the way the movies played out. And Tran still continues to voice the character. And someone earlier said Daisy was willing to reprise her character.

I guess you weren't paying attention when into darkness came out. How about the backlash for the final season of game of thrones? And I will disagree with your crystal skull statement as well. Indiana Jones is not nearly as relevant as star wars. But that movie still gets pounded on by the fans. Have you seen what's going on with Lord of the rings? When you don't respect what made a franchise what it is, fans won't be happy. That doesn't mean they don't want new things. There is a right and wrong way to do fan service.

Again, I'm not saying all fans are saints. But the fans just aren't the reason star wars is where it is. You said fans are why mando became a rabbit hole of cameos replacing storytelling. I'm not sure if you have watched cobra kai, but that is a rabbit hole of cameos as well. But it's universally loved by the fans, just like most fans love mando. Heck, season one of mando was loaded with tons of OT call backs and characters. Why? Because Jon an Dave are huge fans. There is gatekeeping in EVERY franchise. Is that bad? It can be. Most fans just want good star wars. I ask you this. If doing things that the fans want to see or expect is so bad. Why buy the franchise with the largest pop culture base of any franchise? Just make your own sci-fi universe.
Fans didn't like Into Darkness, but the response was nothing akin to TLJ. Same with Crystal Skull. People dump on the movies, but they don't go to the same toxic levels as SW fans do and have for the past decade or so.

I did watch COBRA Kai, the first two seasons were fun, but the show has certainly lost steam. Why? One of the reasons is formulaic writing. Mando had some callbacks, but Season 1 felt like the focus was on the characters and their journey. Season 2 was all about visiting callback characters intended for their own spinoff. Luke Ex Machina is the laziest writing ever.

If you are a fan, why wouldn't you want your beloved world to grow and mature? Why would you keep wanting the same exact thing over and over? When I think of Star Wars fans, I think of the little fat kid in Shrek 3. "Do the roar." That's all they want. "Do the roar."

I just pray Disney grows a pair and gives us interesting SW stories again. No more Skywalkers and Death Stars and pulling cartoon characters to avoid having to write good character introductions. Fans didn't like Empire at first either. Don't cater to fans, they are fickle. Just make good movies that have something to say.

erasure fan1

Fans didn't like Into Darkness, but the response was nothing akin to TLJ. Same with Crystal Skull. People dump on the movies, but they don't go to the same toxic levels as SW fans do and have for the past decade or so.
What toxic levels are you talking about? Some dill hole on Twitter railing on rose tico? Did you see the reception for Best and Tran and Hayden at celebration? You mean all those toxic fans? Or just the few idiots on Twitter that all fanbases have?
Luke Ex Machina is the laziest writing ever.
If you introduce a baby yoda and the quest is to get it back to the Jedi, Luke is the ONLY thing that makes any sense in that time frame.
If you are a fan, why wouldn't you want your beloved world to grow and mature? Why would you keep wanting the same exact thing over and over?
I agree a million percent. That's why I had said, even before Disney bought Lucasfilm, stay away from doing sequels to the OT. Either jump 200 or 300 yrs into the future where you don't have to really worry too much about the original films. Or, my preference, explore the old republic. Bioware already did the heavy lifting, it would have been a good move. Again, the problem was the sequels were not the time to go in a new direction. Not when you have 3 of the most beloved characters in cinema history.
I just pray Disney grows a pair and gives us interesting SW stories again. No more Skywalkers and Death Stars and pulling cartoon characters to avoid having to write good character introductions.
I agree with you here as well. Unfortunately since Disney goofed things up so bad, I don't see them branching out. They will play it safe, and that will make no one happy. Kennedy made it an us against them, and that doesn't help anything. So as long as she is at lucasfilm, there will be a riff with the fans and Disney star wars.
Fans didn't like Empire at first either. Don't cater to fans, they are fickle. Just make good movies that have something to say.
A lot of people say this. But as someone who saw it in theaters, I remember no one disliking it. The worst thing I remember was people being annoyed it was a cliffhanger and they had to wait for the next movie.

MickeyMouse10

They had a built in audience that wanted to love the Sequel Trilogy. And they still couldn't give us what we wanted. What a dropoff from the first one to the last one. It truly shows how badly they messed up.

Force Awakens - $2.068 billion
The Last Jedi - $1.333 billion
The Rise of Skywalker - $1.074 billion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom