Rewriting the DCEU

stitchcastle

My least favorite thing about the DCEU mess is that people believe that Superhero Movies have to be funny

Nobody complained about The Dark Knight trilogy being dark, but then the MCU started making superhero movies with comedy, which helped the MCU make hit, after hit.

Lots of people have lost hope on the DCEU... but I still think that overtime, it can be as successful as the MCU.

I feel like that's a very surface level read on what makes the Marvel movies work and what makes the DC movies not work. Marvel for the most part is run like a very expensive TV series with a main showrunner (Kevin Feige) who a) loves the source material and b) knows to hire and trust great directors with proven track records and c) understands what it takes to tell a good story.

all these points are things that DC just didn't do. They let their cinematic universe rest in the hands of the people who made "Man of Steel", people who were a) very vocal about how they didn't like Superman. b) Who have polarizing reputations. c) Are known to favor stye of substance with their storytelling.

It's telling that the only truly successful movie in the franchise was the movie that the studio just did not care about whatsoever that they largely left it alone. (Wonder Woman.)

All in all, the reason they don't work is because of bad leadership that is ashamed of superhero movies in general.

mickeyfan5534

They let their cinematic universe rest in the hands of the people who made "Man of Steel", people who were a) very vocal about how they didn't like Superman.
This. On the bright side, those people are out and Henry Cavill wants to do Superman right so hopefully we'll see it all turn around for the better. It's not like Marvel didn't have a major stumble in Phase 2 with Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Age of Ultron. I just think we're seeing DC stumble at a different point.

stitchcastle

I liked Iron Man 3, besides. Marvel has already created such a strong foundation that any "stumbles" are easily forgiven and still make a lot of money.

I personally wish DC would just take what worked (Wonder Woman) and scrap their whole cinematic universe altogether and start off not from scratch but build from the decades' worth of pioneering they've already done.

They should do a Justice League movie with Michael Keaton as Batman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Brandon Routh as Superman (whose movie was a continuation of the Christopher Reeve Superman) and a promoted Grant Gustin as the Flash. Keep the story simple. An alien invasion happens and these heroes are forced to work together. An alien invasion story also would lend itself well to easily introducing Martian Manhunter and a Green Lantern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom