REVIEW - Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
There are two kinds of people in this world:

1.) People like this who probably sleep better at night. ^^^

2.) People like me who get REALLY bothered by immersion being ruined. And I'm not ashamed of it.

When I walk past that tunnel into Batuu, I grab a cold beer, follow Vi around and interact with stormtroopers, convince my server at Docking Bay not take my droid back to Pico for droid battles(seriously, Kimmy is fantastically in character on the job), and leave all reality at the door. Everything should be a part of the story. Every component, bite of food, and interaction should respect that. It's what made this land and Pandora special.

You’re doing it all wrong. You’re supposed to wander around the land complaining it’s a shopping mall with no entertainment, dismiss Smuggler’s Run as a silly XBox game and then go home and write a review about how Disney totally ruined Star Wars.

matt9112

You’re doing it all wrong. You’re supposed to wander around the land complaining it’s a shopping mall with no entertainment, dismiss Smuggler’s Run as a silly XBox game and then go home and write a review about how Disney totally ruined Star Wars.

To be fair minus the que x box has more on screen excitement...star wars land is like the mermaid que of entire lands its so pretty Nd breath taking and then the substance is like...uhhh. hopefully ROTR fixes this.

RSoxNo1

I know this is a small change, but this is remarkably dumb.

There is zero reason to believe anything Disney promises us, they have lost the majority of their credibility. They over promise and under deliver to a point where it's laughable.

RSoxNo1

Well, it's not like they just simply changed the names because someone thought they should. There is a company-wide effort for more 'plant based' meals, and so, just about every food POS is revising their menu. Which means the menu was being revised anyway, and this was an opportunity to change the names. I would have changed the names, but it's not like the menu change was just about the names.
The menu didn't change, did it? The names on the menu changed.

Where did confusion on the menu item names at Docking Bay 7 fall on the list of guest complaints about Galaxy's Edge? Did it make the top 30 items?

I will say that signage that mentions Data Pads should include clarification that your Data Pad is a cellphone and not some upcharge item. I'm sure people think that a Data Pad is something you have to pay for like a wand.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Doomed from the start if you ask me.
I'm all for an immersive experience - and wish Disney had delivered more of what they promised.
But a menu that serves thousands (from around the world no less) composed of fictitious critter names?
That's a tough one.
The amount of translation and corrections, that must have been needed had to be endless.

… but the menu listed a description of what is in it, so it's not like the name is all the guests had to go on. There are plenty of foods around WDW that have names that don't tell you what is in them. Would someone know what a Cheshire Cat Tail is without a description?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
… but the menu listed a description of what is in it, so it's not like the name is all the guests had to go on. There are plenty of foods around WDW that have names that don't tell you what is in them. Would someone know what a Cheshire Cat Tail is without a description?
Reasonable people wouldn't assume that wouldn't contain actual feline parts... At least in the US parks.

BromBones

There are two kinds of people in this world:

1.) People like this who probably sleep better at night. ^^^

2.) People like me who get REALLY bothered by immersion being ruined. And I'm not ashamed of it.

When I walk past that tunnel into Batuu, I grab a cold beer, follow Vi around and interact with stormtroopers, convince my server at Docking Bay not take my droid back to Pico for droid battles(seriously, Kimmy is fantastically in character on the job), and leave all reality at the door. Everything should be a part of the story. Every component, bite of food, and interaction should respect that. It's what made this land and Pandora special.

I'm with you. Either you go full immersion or you don't.
When they announced Star Wars Land was going to be fully immersive I expected to see Stormtropers marching through the town and having shootouts with other characters. I expected a sit down cantina where a fight would break out or someone would be apprehended by a Stormtrooper.
I expected quite a bit and I'm not the only one.

Instead we have Generic Space Adventure Land with limited immersion because some people can't handle it?
The first red flag was when they handed out large cards of light saber pieces outside of Savi's workshop.
When you are being handed a card in broad daylight by a worker wearing Aviator sunglasses in plain view of everyone including the stormtroopers then there goes your immersion. There is nothing secretive about it at all.

There are certain parks or lands that should be not "Disney". They should go beyond Disney so they can be immersive (Star Wars Land, Pandora, etc.). And if a few people complain about the land not being "Disney" enough then the customer service reps need to explain that you are in a different land and it is going to be different than the rest of the park.

That's the only way to make a truly immersive land, but Disney would rather take the shortcuts and the easy way out.
I have heard that CMs can't even really play the roles too extensively because then they could be considered actors and would have to be paid actors wage instead of basic CM wage. I don't know how accurate that it, but it would help explain quite a bit.

Disney needs to go all in on Star Wars Land and Pandora otherwise it is just a few rides and places to eat in the park and not its own world.

TP2000

Not the passholders though.

Passholders are about 35% of annual attendance at the Disneyland Resort's two parks combined. About 20% are Californians who don't have an AP. The other 45% is a mix of domestic and international tourists.

That said, you could make a decent argument that it's the SoCal AP's who create an environment where Disneyland keeps its themed names for food while Disney World replaces the words "Tip Yip" with "Chicken Salad" after only 45 days of operation.

Incomudro

Yes, I understand.
But an entire menu of otherworldy names sounds like something that would require so much explaining and correcting.
I'm with you. Either you go full immersion or you don't.
When they announced Star Wars Land was going to be fully immersive I expected to see Stormtropers marching through the town and having shootouts with other characters. I expected a sit down cantina where a fight would break out or someone would be apprehended by a Stormtrooper.
I expected quite a bit and I'm not the only one.

Instead we have Generic Space Adventure Land with limited immersion because some people can't handle it?
The first red flag was when they handed out large cards of light saber pieces outside of Savi's workshop.
When you are being handed a card in broad daylight by a worker wearing Aviator sunglasses in plain view of everyone including the stormtroopers then there goes your immersion. There is nothing secretive about it at all.

There are certain parks or lands that should be not "Disney". They should go beyond Disney so they can be immersive (Star Wars Land, Pandora, etc.). And if a few people complain about the land not being "Disney" enough then the customer service reps need to explain that you are in a different land and it is going to be different than the rest of the park.

That's the only way to make a truly immersive land, but Disney would rather take the shortcuts and the easy way out.
I have heard that CMs can't even really play the roles too extensively because then they could be considered actors and would have to be paid actors wage instead of basic CM wage. I don't know how accurate that it, but it would help explain quite a bit.

Disney needs to go all in on Star Wars Land and Pandora otherwise it is just a few rides and places to eat in the park and not its own world.

You actually believed this land wouldn't still feel like Disney? LOL
I agree with you - that they fell well short of the promised immersion - and I don't believe they will ever come close to delivering it to us as promised.
But I always knew that it would feel like Disney.
Disney didn't fell short because some people couldn't handle it.
They fell short because they cut their entertainment budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom