News Revamped Dining Room Unveiled at EPCOT's San Angel Inn Restaurante

Squishy

Bocabear

I am hoping it is just the camera brightening things up more than they appear in person... THe original lighting for the pavilion did not have that LED Blue intense wash on the backdrop...It was softer and more natural looking... But again, it could be the camera making thisa look more intense than it appears in person...

aladdin2007

For all the naysayers who say the new lighting “ruins the ambiance” (taken just now) -

Entering the pavilion

View attachment 791391

The restaurant from the entrance

View attachment 791392

The restaurant from the water

View attachment 791393

IMO I think this is a wonderful improvement. Photos magnify the lighting. In person it is not as bright as it appears.
Thank you for these, it certainly has helped seeing them. still not a fan of the poles but could have been worse. Im glad they kept the tables right along the water.

Weather_Lady

I think it looks really nice and much more warm and inviting than before, although I agree that the booth-backs/barriers between the tables seem to block the water view more than is needed. Not that it would affect me personally if I were to return to San Angel Inn, since we have always gotten a waterside table by politely asking for it, and indicating that we were willing to wait any amount of time for it. A good table makes all the difference.

I'd be even more excited if free chips and salsa (the old good kind of salsa, not the terrible new recipe), and the chicken mole, returned to the menu. DH, a man who rarely finds a subject to be so vital as to take a strong stand on it, has declared that we shall never return unless or until those things happen. ;)

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Has the ceiling always looked that lit up? Never noticed it before
Yes.

I am hoping it is just the camera brightening things up more than they appear in person... THe original lighting for the pavilion did not have that LED Blue intense wash on the backdrop...It was softer and more natural looking... But again, it could be the camera making thisa look more intense than it appears in person...
Camera did brighten things up more. From a distance the restaurant lighting looks exactly the same, because the new “pole lights” point downward onto the tables.

The photo from the boat is...not so great. Ceiling is so visible
It’s the photo.

Raineman

Looks good from the pics posted. But I'm sure some would say that the food probably needs some work. I've been to this restaurant once, before I ever visited Mexico, and I thought the food was pretty good. Now, after having taken 3 trips to Mexico and kind of immersed myself in the culture and the food, the food here is way too "bougie" and not as simple and delicious as real Mexican food. People that have never been to Mexico don't realize how simple a traditional taco or burrito is-no peppers, onions, bacon, cheese, sour cream, etc. I will always take an arrachera and queso burrito with homemade chips and salsa from a simple, open air neighborhood taco place in Mexico over anything this restaurant sells. I would be happy with just a food cart in the Mexico pavilion selling simple tacos, burritos, and street corn.

Andrew25

Ate here last night, it's still dark and the "nighttime" effect is still working. Can't see the edge of the wall/roof when viewing the pyramid/Gran Fiesta overlook. You could always see the roof/tiles from the boat though, so this is a vast improvement for the dining experience.

Enchiladas were great, and the Tres Leches is ridicously good.

ToTBellHop

Ate here last night, it's still dark and the "nighttime" effect is still working. Can't see the edge of the wall/roof when viewing the pyramid/Gran Fiesta overlook. You could always see the roof/tiles from the boat though, so this is a vast improvement for the dining experience.

Enchiladas were great, and the Tres Leches is ridicously good.
I worry I would miss rice and beans since most of the dishes come with plantains instead.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
For all the naysayers who say the new lighting “ruins the ambiance” (taken just now) -

Entering the pavilion

View attachment 791391

The restaurant from the entrance

View attachment 791392

The restaurant from the water

View attachment 791393

IMO I think this is a wonderful improvement. Photos magnify the lighting. In person it is not as bright as it appears.
Maybe now you can actually read the menu without using your phone to illuminate it!

RMcCoy95

Ate there with the family this weekend. It was great. Much more room. Lighting is better, so you can read the menu; however, it wasn’t noticeable enough to really impact the ambiance. We thought the feel was great. The only “downside” (if you call it that), is it feels a bit more like a normal restaurant. It used to feel like a bunch of tables randomly set up on the street. All in all, it’s a win IMO!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom