News Revamped Dining Room Unveiled at EPCOT's San Angel Inn Restaurante

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like they wen't from not enough light to too much. Another cafeteria. Hopefully the overheads are dimmable and they just turned them up for the photo. The little lamps on the table should be enough.

The seating looks great!
The lighting is similar to before. I increased the brightness of the image slightly so you can actually see what has been done.

Rumpusgoopus

Oh my god, working for Disney must be exhausting.

People have been complaining for years that the restaurant is too dark and too cramped. Disney adds lighting and separators, and now it's too bright, the thin poles are blocking a sliver of one's view, and things are somehow more cramped.

And a further complaint that by cutting seating to provide more space, that allows Disney to cut staff, ignoring that this also means less revenue!

And most of these opinions are derived from a few scant pictures.

People, put down your phones and breathe. There are more important things in life than to immediately complain about whatever small thing Disney does.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

People have been complaining for years that the restaurant is too dark and too cramped. Disney adds lighting and separators, and now it's too bright, the thin poles are blocking a sliver of one's view, and things are somehow more cramped.

And a further complaint that by cutting seating to provide more space, that allows Disney to cut staff, ignoring that this also means less revenue!

People, put down your phones and breathe. There are more important things in life than to immediately complain about whatever small thing Disney does.

Disney does not want you to put down your phone. You may actually see what's going on around you.

Less seating means less revenue? Is this your first time? Because that is easily fixed by increasing menu prices by $1 per item upon reopening. Who's going to complain? All the reviewers are going to focus on the new seating and lighting and menu prices are rarely analyzed (except for here).

Rumpusgoopus

Disney does not want you to put down your phone. You may actually see what's going on around you.

Less seating means less revenue? Is this your first time? Because that is easily fixed by increasing menu prices by $1 per item upon reopening. Who's going to complain? All the reviewers are going to focus on the new seating and lighting and menu prices are rarely analyzed (except for here).
True. This is the only place where people complain about Disney prices.

To say that Disney made these changes for the purpose of reducing staff is ridiculous.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Pros: More Room, Comfortable, Little More Ambient light
Cons: Messes with the scale of things for the mural and water in the back.
Unchanged: Food is still awful.

Bonus: Use of non Home-Depot Tile to complete the renovation.....You got that contractors working on Morocco???

Mealtrip

Unless everyone in your party is 18 inches wide, at least one or two people are going to be slamming their elbows into an unnecessary wall divider each time they cut into a burrito. All they had to do, in order to make more room, is remove six or seven tables and reposition everything. No walls, no poles. Just image this new layout, and how much more spacious it would feel — if the walls and poles weren't there.

The other issue... with shared-back, one piece booths is — every time, any one laughs or coughs or moves abruptly — everyone... on both sides of the booth are going to feel it. If the person behind you has long hair, your going to feel it and smell it on your side. Booths should be backed by a wall or divider greater than 6 inches wide (at a nice contemporary casual restaurant anyway).

The way it looks now... I'm sort of half expecting strolling characters and a prix fixe menu.

castlecake2.0

Unless everyone in your party is 18 inches wide, at least one or two people are going to be slamming their elbows into an unnecessary wall divider each time they cut into a burrito. All they had to do, in order to make more room, is remove six or seven tables and reposition everything. No walls, no poles. Just image this new layout, and how much more spacious it would feel — if the walls and poles weren't there.

The other issue... with shared-back, one piece booths is — every time, any one laughs or coughs or moves abruptly — everyone... on both sides of the booth are going to feel it. If the person behind you has long hair, your going to feel it and smell it on your side. Booths should be backed by a wall or divider greater than 6 inches wide (at a nice contemporary casual restaurant anyway).

The way it looks now... I'm sort of half expecting strolling characters and a prix fixe menu.
Why does Disney even bother anymore

Sir_Cliff

No complaints and Disney actually tried to make something less miserable.
Balderdash! This is all about reducing costs, raising prices, and breaking guests' elbows! I wouldn't be surprised if Iger also specifically ordered the poles be placed strategically and the lighting be turned up just enough to obscure the backdrop of the pyramid so he could save money on maintenance and eventually replace it with a bare wall or, if we're lucky, a screen promoting the latest IPs he's purchased.

Tha Realest

That’s for the years-long insight, guy who just joined today.

mysto

I've never complained that san Angel in is too dark, or cramped for that matter. I feel you've misrepresented me unkindly.
People, put down your phones and breathe.
I'm using a laptop.

Last edited:

Jambo Dad

Pros: More Room, Comfortable, Little More Ambient light
Cons: Messes with the scale of things for the mural and water in the back.
Unchanged: Food is still awful.

Bonus: Use of non Home-Depot Tile to complete the renovation.....You got that contractors working on Morocco???
Good post! I have to admit we never liked the food there. it was pretty weak.

Club Cooloholic

I have always enjoyed the Inn, it's dark and cool and there is a bit of dining in an open plaza feel that this kinda kills. I don't think the dividers were necessary, and their addition makes it look more On The Boarder/ Chi Chis, than a nice restaurant. They just needed to take out a few tables because I swear it was not that crammed 20 years ago. .for those saying there are less tables I am not so sure. With the dividers they can put guests up right next to each other. It more like a shared long table, the dividers will keep you from banging knees with strangers, but you will certainly hear their conversation with them just inches away.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
For all the naysayers who say the new lighting “ruins the ambiance” (taken just now) -

Entering the pavilion

IMG_3497.jpeg

The restaurant from the entrance

IMG_3498.jpeg

The restaurant from the water

IMG_3501.jpeg

IMO I think this is a wonderful improvement. Photos magnify the lighting. In person it is not as bright as it appears.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom