Retro EPCOT Merchandise!

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Originally posted by FatBoy976
Just to add to a previous point: The Living Seas was in the original plan for EPCOT but did not open until many years later. Also, an Africa pavilion was planned, but never built. I guess Animal Kingdom has made sure it will never be built. I also think Morocco was added later too.

Well, since Morocco is in Africa, I guess you could say there is an African pavilion. :) But I know what you mean. There were many more countries planned, including the "land down under!"

durhay

We bought the souvenir Epcot book when we visited in Jan. '83. The future World Showcase pavillions listed were Equalitorial Africa, Spain, and Israel. Norway and Morrocco were not listed. In regards to the retro Epcot merchandise, I need to complete my Epcot Future World sliding tile game collection. I have Horizons and Living Seas, but I need the rest.

stingrock23

I agree with the fact that the original spaceship earth is much better. I mean, i think the new hand takes away from the completenss of the geosphere. All you need to see is the big ball to know where you are. The wand makes it look tacky. It just flows better without all the exra nonsense. Oh well, it's just something we all have to deal with.

Mr. Toad

I also liked SE without the hand. It was nice for the 2000 celebration but it should have gone away instead of being changed to read EPCOT.

At least I have my old photos of what SE used to look like.

raven

Originally posted by Mr. Toad
I also liked SE without the hand. It was nice for the 2000 celebration but it should have gone away instead of being changed to read EPCOT.

Maybe they are keeping it for another year because of Epcot's 20th Anniversary. :veryconfu

DanStat

Original Poster
I liked the BD cake and the EPCOT sign!

They add to the experience...I guess I'm not a traditionalist.

cymbaldiva

I liked them as a temporary thing (well, I didn't care for the cake at all - bygones!) but not as something I was going to have to deal with forever!

TURKEY

Re: Still there??

Originally posted by AdLibSean
Does anyone know if they will have this merchandise in stock ALL year? I really want one of those shirts!

Retro merchandise was already in place by Aug. 2001. I imagine that it will still be there for the rest of the year, unless they are no longer manufacturing the goods and everything sells out.

figmentmom

I ws just there April 14 - 20, and there were lots of retro t-shirts still available in Mousegears! They were selling well, too, so I'll bet they'll be around for a while.

mej

I have just come back from a school trip ( as a teacher not a pupil!) and while packing for it, I discovered an Epcot Center polo shirt that I had forgotten about! Bright red with Mickey embroidered on it too!

Lovecraft

Does anyone (other than whoever made the decision to keep the had) actually LIKE the mickey hand on spaceship earth?

When I first saw it (in 1999 as it was being readied for the millenium celebration) I liked it as a TEMPORARY thing. I fully expected it to be temporary. Then when I saw the new (and thoroughly gaudi) Epcot logo on it last year and this year I hated it.

I agree with those that feel it looks tacky. It ruins pictures of the skyline... compare pictures pre hand and pictures post hand and you will see what I mean.

Which actually looks better on a postcard? Which has a better feeling to it?

As for the new Epcot script on the hand which doesn't even match the new epcot logo... well WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

One more thing, on my last trip to Epcot a sign actually said:
"This attraction will be open to 7:00 pm"

Open to? As in it will be open to units of time?

Someone needs to get back on the ball... Disney did not always have these little annoyances in the past. And I hate to see things that I love fall to either decay or drop down to the least common denominator.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
I love the hand and wand. I think it should be in the logo's letters like you said though. But it really shows that Epcot is Disney, and not many people know that. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom