Retro EPCOT Merchandise!

raven

I too was there in 1982 when it first openned and bought a picture book with tons of pictures and information about 'Epcot Center".

Back then, Horizons, Living Seas, Norway, and Morroco were still "future" projects. (At least that's what it showed in the book)

wanabeimagineer

Originally posted by raven
I too was there in 1982 when it first openned and bought a picture book with tons of pictures and information about 'Epcot Center".

Back then, Horizons, Living Seas, Norway, and Morroco were still "future" projects. (At least that's what it showed in the book)

When you mean "future" do you mean not yet built? Because, if I'm not mistaken, Horizons and Norway opened with the park. Living Seas was built later I think.

wanabeimagineer

Re: Open

Originally posted by BigAL
Neither Horizons nor Norway was there when the park opened.

You are right, I just checked up in one of my books and you were right, Horizons opened on October 1st 1983 (exactly one year after the park opened), Norway opened on May 6, 1988, Morocco on Sept 7 1984, and Living Seas opened on January 15 1986.

wanabeimagineer

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Nor was WOL...Or Innoventions...or Test Track... ;)

Nor "Ellen's Energy Crisis," or even Mission Space, or Journey Into Your Imagination :lol:

by the way, in this Disney book, it has an aerial construction shot of EPCOT during construction and it shows Living Seas and Horizons already under construction, so I guess they were building them at the same time, it just took longer?

raven

Originally posted by wanabeimagineer

When you mean "future" do you mean not yet built? Because, if I'm not mistaken, Horizons and Norway opened with the park. Living Seas was built later I think.

Nope, none of those were open yet when I went. Also, the 3-D movie at the Journey Into Imagination Pavillion wasn't Capt. EO yet. It was a short little 3-D movie. All I remember about the movie is that there was a part in it where someone blew one of those dandilion weeds and it came at you. There was also a whitch in it. That's all I can remember about the 3-D movie in 1982.

Innoventions was called Communicore East & West at "Epcot Center".

I was there in August (I think) of 1982 and was only 11 years old but can remember alot of stuff. That trip made me want to be an Imagineer!

cymbaldiva

Is it just me, or does anyone miss Spaceship Earth before they put the Epcot sign on top? I mean, the 2000 thing was nice, but it really all needs to go!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I didn't like it until I had seen it in person....It's very nice to see in person, actually. The wind moves the red/bue reflective pieces....at night it glows and sparkles like the 2000 sign did.

Just another thing that has to be seen.....sort of like the Sorcerer's hat at MGM.

FatBoy976

Just to add to a previous point: The Living Seas was in the original plan for EPCOT but did not open until many years later. Also, an Africa pavilion was planned, but never built. I guess Animal Kingdom has made sure it will never be built. I also think Morocco was added later too.

cymbaldiva

I did see the 2000 sign in person, and I did love it! But basically, I always prefer the original and I really loved the way Spaceship Earth looked in it's most simple form - I mean, I already knew I was at Epcot - no sign needed! :lol:

wanabeimagineer

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
I did see the 2000 sign in person, and I did love it! But basically, I'm a pureist (sp?) at heart and I really loved the way Spaceship looked in it's most simple form - I mean, I already knew I was at Epcot - no sign needed! :lol:

I completely agree, I liked the old SE better, but I was always a fan of the older stuff. ( :( 20K Leagues :cry: )

cymbaldiva

I do too! I loved Horizons - the last time I was at Epcot, it really hurt me to see the construction site. I'm not even sure I want to check out the new ride....:(

raven

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
I do too! I loved Horizons - the last time I was at Epcot, it really hurt me to see the construction site. I'm not even sure I want to check out the new ride....:(

I would love to see some of the props from Horizons worked into the pre-show area or lobby of the new attraction.

I too loved Horizons. It was my favorite. I wish someday they could re-build it. Making the building stronger of course. But I know they won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom