Restricted Rehire status

mousehockey37

????

I don't think it has ever been acceptable to speak badly about your place of employment, or place where you a are looking to be employed.

The difference now is that you have stupid people ranting in public via the Internet, which easily gets noticed.

As a result you could lose your job because of it, or never get the job you were looking for. Deservedly so.

We had a girl where I work, who got bruised up some and she posted about it on Facebook with pictures (and mentioning where it happened) and she was promptly called into the office the next day and suspended. So it's not just Disney that has people lurking.

Next Big Thing

????

I don't think it has ever been acceptable to speak badly about your place of employment, or place where you a are looking to be employed.

The difference now is that you have stupid people ranting in public via the Internet, which easily gets noticed.

As a result you could lose your job because of it, or never get the job you were looking for. Deservedly so.
The point of me being a part of this forum is for me to give my thoughts and opinions. If that costs me a job then so be it. It's not life or death that I need to work at Disney. Would I like to, sure. But Im currently working 2 jobs and Disney sure as hell isn't going to pay better... getting a job there isn't too high on my priority list right now.

mousehockey37

The point of me being a part of this forum is for me to give my thoughts and opinions. If that costs me a job then so be it. It's not life or death that I need to work at Disney. Would I like to, sure. But Im currently working 2 jobs and Disney sure as hell isn't going to pay better... getting a job there isn't too high on my priority list right now.

Then why the push to see if you can get back in?

Next Big Thing

Then why the push to see if you can get back in?
Like I said, would I like to work there again, sure. But it's not worth any sort of censorship of myself.

I've also realized while talking about this that my current benefits are better than anything Disney offers. So there's no point in senselessly going off the path I'm on right now.

mousehockey37

Like I said, would I like to work there again, sure. But it's not worth any sort of censorship of myself.

I've also realized while talking about this that my current benefits are better than anything Disney offers. So there's no point in senselessly going off the path I'm on right now.

The lack of censorship of yourself will only get you so far. It's a great thing to not "let the man" quiet you, but at some point there's a level of conformity that has to be reached. Any business at any level requires censorship of one's self.

21stamps

We had a girl where I work, who got bruised up some and she posted about it on Facebook with pictures (and mentioning where it happened) and she was promptly called into the office the next day and suspended. So it's not just Disney that has people lurking.
Anyone in a professional position these days, especially younger people, have plenty of resources to make them aware of their online presence, and what is inappropriate. If they choose to ignore common sense as well as advice, then that's their doing.
The lack of censorship of yourself will only get you so far. It's a great thing to not "let the man" quiet you, but at some point there's a level of conformity that has to be reached. Any business at any level requires censorship of one's self.
Excellent advice.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This thread is the perfect example of how Corporate America has affected the way we live our lives. People have been trained to sit silent so when someone thinks different, they are somehow demonized for being themselves.

I fully expect the majority of you guys to criticize this post.
And rightly so. When you start making more than minimum wage you will thank Corporate America for making your way of life possible.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
And rightly so. When you start making more than minimum wage you will thank Corporate America for making your way of life possible.

I make well over the minimum wage - it's that same corporate America who is the landlord of the majority of the city I live in, and who keeps rents unaffordable.

So I thank them for the comfortable salary I make. But I curse them for them raising the cost of living beyond what most people can afford.

Next Big Thing

I didn't really want to respond to this because I just sort of want to move on from this conversation, but I do agree with you. I don't disrespect any company I work for at all and I do conform to their rules (even if begrudgingly). However, I am currently not a employee of The Walt Disney Company, so I feel comfortable saying what I please. If that hurts my chances of any future jobs, I take full responsibility for that.

21stamps

I didn't really want to respond to this because I just sort of want to move on from this conversation, but I do agree with you. I don't disrespect any company I work for at all and I do conform to their rules (even if begrudgingly). However, I am currently not a employee of The Walt Disney Company, so I feel comfortable saying what I please. If that hurts my chances of any future jobs, I take full responsibility for that.

Throughout life, a career change, or company change. A good general rule of thumb is to never bash a former employer. Just move on with your life and don't wear a look of negativity, it doesn't look good on anyone. :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Throughout life, a career change, or company change. A good general rule of thumb is to never bash a former employer. Just move on with your life and don't wear a look of negativity, it doesn't look good on anyone. :)
A wise old sage once told me that if you burn bridges there is a great chance you get burned or fall to your death trying to jump back over once you figure out how little you knew at the time of the fire.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Please don't remind me. I'm already freaking about turning 25 next year and still not being anywhere close to where I thought I'd be by that time :arghh: :cry:

I still stand by my defining feature of being outspoken. If that costs me an opportunity, then so be it. I refuse to be silenced into submission because "the powers that be" get offended by it.

I have never kept quite and never will, I'd rather die than stay silent. But I have gotten better at calmly and maturely expressing my disdain for certain situations.

This thread is the perfect example of how Corporate America has affected the way we live our lives. People have been trained to sit silent so when someone thinks different, they are somehow demonized for being themselves.

I fully expect the majority of you guys to criticize this post.

Let's get one thing clear, I always get my way when it comes to employers. I may be outspoken, but I am also an expert butt kisser (and other things), so it frankly doesn't matter how I come across to some irrelevant poster on a forum. I am the type of person who will kiss up to anybody who is willing to let me. I've been outspoken about many things, both positive and negative, since I started working. And guess what? Nobody has batted an eye. I know how to play the game. I know when to say certain things and how to say it. Emotional manipulation is my expertise and you can rest assure that being a chameleon in that regards will always lead me down the yellow brick road. I can play the victim and I can play the sleazy corporate type and I can play them well. I may be young, but I know what I have to do to get what I want. Is it bad taste? Absolutely. But I will do whatever it takes to have someone stroke my ego and feed my narcissism.

Never has a series of quotes encapsulated a generation this vividly.

mkt

Premium Member
Never has a series of quotes encapsulated a generation this vividly.

We're just making the best of the scraps the previous generation left for us.

Or we're more open about what we feel.

Or maybe your generation felt the same way, and the previous one spoke like that - and now you're just old, and the cycle has continued.

It's one of those.

mousehockey37

I doubt making the best of the scraps includes reducing your self-worth to the point of going to any and all extremes to get ahead. Quid Pro Quo is against terms of employment at a lot of places.

Not more open, just ignorant to the fact that social media can be good and bad at the same time to share that openness.

Or maybe your generation felt the same way, and the previous one spoke like that - and now you're just old, and the cycle has continued.
I'm sure every generation has felt that way, but as I said above, the social media movement has opened the door for you to be able to share your thoughts instantly and with a worldwide audience.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

It's one of those.

Probably is all of those. Aside from me being old. I think we are approx the same age, I'm 34. Right on the front edge of Millenials or the back end of Gen X. I tend to identify far more with Gen X.

Being open with feelings is not for me. I can't begin to imagine a co-worker, casual acquaintance, Instagram follower, should know, or care about my feelings. It's bizarre to me that these 20 somethings over share so aggressively.

There's also the idea that "not changing" or "being yourself" regardless of the consequences. It's the height of self-centeredness. THE WORLD WILL CONFORM TO ME!!! Strange.

mkt

Premium Member
Probably is all of those. Aside from me being old. I think we are approx the same age, I'm 34. Right on the front edge of Millenials or the back end of Gen X. I tend to identify far more with Gen X.

Being open with feelings is not for me. I can't begin to imagine a co-worker, casual acquaintance, Instagram follower, should know, or care about my feelings. It's bizarre to me that these 20 somethings over share so aggressively.

There's also the idea that "not changing" or "being yourself" regardless of the consequences. It's the height of self-centeredness. THE WORLD WILL CONFORM TO ME!!! Strange.

I'll be 34 in a few months - so yeah, for all intents, we're the same age. Front of millenials, back of Gen X. I identify more with Gen X music, but much more with Millenial politics and spending habits.

Plus, I work in marketing - spending entire days on social media for work might have affected me in some way ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Deal with it. I just love seeing people like you get so hot and bothered that the way I chose to chase success is so "different" from how you found yours. I don't understand how it makes me entitled. At least I'm not shacked up in my parent's house and living off government assistance or sitting on Tumblr complaining about how my life sucks o_O I'm going to hell anyway so why not exploit my self-centric "talents" before my time on this sorry planet is up.

I gotta say... You seem like an absolute delight to work with.

mkt

Premium Member
I never once claimed I was a saint :angelic: Alas, and despite my narcissism, I know this diva persona will get me nowhere when I'm done with school and working in my actual career of choice. Getting research published, earning respect from students and peers, among other things won't happen by playing queen all the time.

How many siblings do you have?

Next Big Thing

Looking back on this thread (someone liked a post recently), the last 4-5 pages of this thread are hilarious to me now since i've been working at WDW for almost 3 months now.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom