Restaurant to replace Alfredos confirmed by company today at 3:35 PM

polarboi

It sounds like Alfredo's will close down in August. The building will probably go into a refurb mode, new staff will have to be trained, menus designed, etc... It sounds like the restaurant will be closed from September to some time in early 08.

Ah, but notice what the announcement said:

Q6. When would it open?

Patina Restaurant Group will begin operation September 1, 2007. Their flagship restaurant will open Fall 2008.

Q7. What restaurant will be at that location in the interim?

The Patina Restaurant Group will showcase similar Italian fare from some of its premiere Italian restaurants.

It sounds as if they're planning to find a way to keep an Italian restaurant open in Italy to cover the time between when Alfredo's closes and when the new "flagship" restaurant opens. So I'm assuming that "interim" time will be used to finalize the new menu and such, and that in the meantime we'll just have a temporary menu (perhaps a temporary name as well?)

We'll see, I guess.

-p.b. :cool:

speck76

German born, French trained! Disney has missed the mark again it would sound. Naples is considered in all professional restaurant reviews as typical Italian American cuisine not worthy of visiting. Search outside Disney sites and you will see. Panevino in Jersey is absolutely horrible, been there and my friends walked out after eating 3 bites and paying the check. Splichel should stay out of it, hire an Italian to develop and run, not a french/german/american/chef, whatever he does.

Disney said it right when they are a "Strategic Partner", Compass PLC is the real force behind it all. They can move the Disney brand globally.

Well, Alfredos tried to give more authentic cuisine, but thats not what is needed. Fast food and larger volumes served for the Disney Dining Plan is what we will get. And that my friends is not Italian.

How about Giada De Laurentis, at least she has Italian roots.

If you are looking for "fine dining" Epcot is not really the place. The food presented needs to be dumbed down a bit for the tourist, and the restaurant needs to be appropriate for people wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Alfredo's was really not much better then The Olive Garden.... Any expectation of a finer restaurant in a theme park is probably not realistic.

New2WDW

I'll try for reservations at lunch today...

So if it is in operation in September 07 then can people go ahead and get an ADR for it in say Oct 07? The article did say it would be on the Dining plan, so is that effective immediately? What about the Free Diners - maybe some of ya'll could do a test run for the rest of us....:D

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
If you are looking for "fine dining" Epcot is not really the place. The food presented needs to be dumbed down a bit for the tourist, and the restaurant needs to be appropriate for people wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Alfredo's was really not much better then The Olive Garden.... Any expectation of a finer restaurant in a theme park is probably not realistic.
I take it you have not been to Bistro de Paris?

speck76

I agree, but it was an example of a theme park restaurant with an upscale touch.
there is "theme park upscale" and there is "upscale".

Bistro de Paris is a GREAT restaurant, but if it was location outside of Epcot, it would pale to other restaurants of that genre...

Skylinecar1982

Be advised however, that Patina specializes in rather upscale, expensive restaurants in SoCal. I had dinner recently at Patina for a special night at Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Patina prices were; Appetizers in the 20 to 25 dollar range, main courses in the 40 to 50 dollar range, deserts in the 15 dollar range, cocktails at 12 to 18 dollars, four course prix fixe menus at 90 dollars without wine, or six course prix fixe menus at 120 dollars without wine, etc. Naples Pizzeria isn't nearly that expensive though, and Catal is just a bit under those West LA prices, so his Disneyland restaurants aren't up in the stratospheric downtown LA prices. But it could be a bit of a shock to tourists in WDW who are used to "expensive" meals back in Ohio that cost 30 bucks.

Those prices are ridiculous. NO FOOD ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IS WORTH THAT MUCH. It's just food it goes in the same way as McDonald's and comes out the same. I understand there is alot more preparation that goes into their food but come on. Prices in the park are already too high. Oh well though there are always people who love to waste money. Those are the people who believe in the Finer Things In Life. What a joke! Life is what you make it.

Kristi Kay

I think this will be a nice change for Epcot....I don't know very many people who have really enjoyed Alfredo's....so the change is good.

speck76

Those prices are ridiculous. NO FOOD ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IS WORTH THAT MUCH. It's just food it goes in the same way as McDonald's and comes out the same. I understand there is alot more preparation that goes into their food but come on. Prices in the park are already too high. Oh well though there are always people who love to waste money. Those are the people who believe in the Finer Things In Life. What a joke!

I disagree

Life is what you make it.

I agree

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
Those prices are ridiculous. NO FOOD ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IS WORTH THAT MUCH. It's just food it goes in the same way as McDonald's and comes out the same. I understand there is alot more preparation that goes into their food but come on. Prices in the park are already too high. Oh well though there are always people who love to waste money. Those are the people who believe in the Finer Things In Life. What a joke! Life is what you make it.
To each his own. I personally think it is a joke to spend 5000 dollars on a trip to WDW, but since I live in the Orlando-area, I guess I have a slightly different position or outlook on things.

Have you ever eaten a steak from Applebees? now, have you had a steak at Morton's? I assure you, the difference is like that of night and day. Just because someone does not have the same taste or preference as you, does not make them wastefull. If something is great, why should it not be worth more money? I'm sorry, but on my anniversary, I will not be taking my wife to McDonalds. The food may come out the same place, but it sure as heck doesn't taste the same going in.

It's all about the experience. If you look at everything in the sort of manor you are looking at the food prices, everything can be broken down in the same manor. How about a 100,000 dollar house in a crappy neighborhood or a 300,000 dollar house in a safe neighborhood. What does it matter, a house is a house just like food is food, right? Or a car. Why spend the extra money for a mercedes or Lexus when you can get a kia or similar? The experience, my friend.

speck76

To each his own. I personally think it is a joke to spend 5000 dollars on a trip to WDW, but since I live in the Orlando-area, I guess I have a slightly different position or outlook on things.

Have you ever eaten a steak from Applebees? now, have you had a steak at Morton's? I assure you, the difference is like that of night and day. Just because someone does not have the same taste or preference as you, does not make them wastefull. If something is great, why should it not be worth more money? I'm sorry, but on my anniversary, I will not be taking my wife to McDonalds. The food may come out the same place, but it sure as heck doesn't taste the same going in.

It's all about the experience. If you look at everything in the sort of manor you are looking at the food prices, everything can be broken down in the same manor. How about a 100,000 dollar house in a crappy neighborhood or a 300,000 dollar house in a safe neighborhood. What does it matter, a house is a house just like food is food, right? Or a car. Why spend the extra money for a mercedes or Lexus when you can get a kia or similar? The experience, my friend.
good post

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
I tried yesterday. and the operator said the restaurant wouldn't be open..

maybe they blocked it out till they announce it.. then unblock it?
If I still had my DRS access I would keep an eye on it, but stupid me forgot about the inactivity thing and now I cant get it :(

txhank

Well I think this is a HUGE mistake on Disneys part.. they already try to suck every last dime out of everyone that comes to Disney World. Now they want to charge me and my wife over 100 dollars for a lunch.. thats stupid.. I for one will boycott this restuarant totally.. To bad they didnt keep Alfredos..I really liked them

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Well I think this is a HUGE mistake on Disneys part.. they already try to suck every last dime out of everyone that comes to Disney World. Now they want to charge me and my wife over 100 dollars for a lunch.. thats stupid.. I for one will boycott this restuarant totally.. To bad they didnt keep Alfredos..I really liked them

No one said that the prices were going to be outragous. If its going to be on the dining plan, its got to be somewhat in line with the other sit downers on the plan.

This will not be a five start version of one of their other establishments, but probably a three at the most.

Skylinecar1982

It's all about the experience. If you look at everything in the sort of manor you are looking at the food prices, everything can be broken down in the same manor. How about a 100,000 dollar house in a crappy neighborhood or a 300,000 dollar house in a safe neighborhood. What does it matter, a house is a house just like food is food, right? Or a car. Why spend the extra money for a Mercedes or Lexus when you can get a KIA or similar? The experience, my friend.

What your missing is what if the 7 out of 10 people think the apple bees is great and 6 out of 10 people think Morton's steak is great. Not to mention more people are probably served by applebees. Should applebees then raise their price to compete with mortons. No. But why not according to what the people think applebees is better.

It doesn't matter anyways because the majority of people followers and not leaders. So if someone says this food is the best and is worth $50 a plate. Like most fools(excuse me I mean followers) the rest of the sheep will say the same.

And so everyone knows KIA and Mercedes are on the same level in the form of quality. I would even dare to say KIA will pass there level soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom