Restaurant Reviews..

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Good Morning Food Lovers of Disney..Theres an old saying " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." and I think when it comes to food,I can refer to this.Its kinda like," What you think is lovely,I may think it's gross." So when it comes to restaurant reviews I always take in what the reviewer likes,eg. He or She might not like fish. I have even read reviews where someone ordered a steak medium and it arrived rare,so they gave the restaurant a bad review..But when 9/10 people state a restaurant has problems like ABC. at HS. Then I tend to make sure it's not on my must try list..So I'am curious ( as ever ) How important are restaurant reviews to you when it comes to making your choices.?:inlove:..

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I studiously find all the reviews i can ,print them out ,laminate them,arrange them in numerical/alphabetical order and then burn them before reading.Having suffered at La Cellier i don't trust anything anyone else says about eateries and will endevour to try places that look interesting and make up my own mind .

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I studiously find all the reviews i can ,print them out ,laminate them,arrange them in numerical/alphabetical order and then burn them before reading.Having suffered at La Cellier i don't trust anything anyone else says about eateries and will endevour to try places that look interesting and make up my own mind .
Oohhh that's scary...I remember our first visit and decided to try Planet Hollywood at Downtown..Just as a thunderstorm came on we walked straight in,no reservation required..Hmm!:confused:...Then we were seated next to a bucket that was collecting rain from the ceiling..Hmm!:confused:...Our server looked nervous as she handed us our menus and took off at great speed..Hmm!:confused:...We ordered..We ate..We threw up later that night..:depressed:..Never again we thought..Then when I got home,I read the reviews..:eek:...Who's a silly boy then..:cry:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Oohhh that's scary...I remember our first visit and decided to try Planet Hollywood at Downtown..Just as a thunderstorm came on we walked straight in,no reservation required..Hmm!:confused:...Then we were seated next to a bucket that was collecting rain from the ceiling..Hmm!:confused:...Our server looked nervous as she handed us our menus and took off at great speed..Hmm!:confused:...We ordered..We ate..We threw up later that night..:depressed:..Never again we thought..Then when I got home,I read the reviews..:eek:...Who's a silly boy then..:cry:
But the reviews for La Celier are favourable and you like me think it is over-rated.:confused:.

Bparso87

I think u should use them but don't let it be the deciding factor. I heard bad reviews all the time about the corral reef but ended up enjoying my meal. Was it my favorite meal no but I enjoyed myself and was glad to say I ate there. I get a lot of my ADR r places to eat from here. I think word of mouth from people you talk to almost everyday is better then someone you never meet.

s&k'smom

It really is in the eye of the beholder, I've seen so many mixed reviews for 50's PTC and it's always a family favorite for us and have never had a "bad" time. Or even Trail's End, seen some mixed but it's also one of our must do's especially because I find the cast members so fantastic at Trail's End. Same way with resorts, I've loved some and wanted to stay and hubby is like "no"!!

mickey2008.1

We use them a little for something new, but other than that, we make our own judgement from menus, pictures, and stepping foot in the place to see how it looks. We expect certain things at certain places, for example, we expect California grill to have great service and exceptional food, Kona Cafe we expect good service with decent food, not great, but just good, and as for dinner buffets, well, we expect just about nothing, which is why we dont do them anymore. Reviews are so misrepresented due to the fact that many people do not know what to expect when they are going to a place to eat, they aim high and leave blah, then write a bad review. his year we are trying TRex, we expect great atmosphere, but know he food will be applebees quality, service may be hit or miss, and it will be noisy, but that is the fun of it for the kids and a family trip. Reviews are the same, hit or miss. Take them with a shot of tequila!

davictim

Good Morning Food Lovers of Disney..Theres an old saying " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." and I think when it comes to food,I can refer to this.Its kinda like," What you think is lovely,I may think it's gross." So when it comes to restaurant reviews I always take in what the reviewer likes,eg. He or She might not like fish. I have even read reviews where someone ordered a steak medium and it arrived rare,so they gave the restaurant a bad review..But when 9/10 people state a restaurant has problems like ABC. at HS. Then I tend to make sure it's not on my must try list..So I'am curious ( as ever ) How important are restaurant reviews to you when it comes to making your choices.?:inlove:..

Gee.... I've always thought it was "Beauty is in the eye of the BEER holder!" :cool:

My DW and I read reviews and take them with a grain of salt before making a firm decision. We will usually give the restaurant a try if it looks interesting to us.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

Its important, but only to a certain point. So our first trip using dining plan, we went to only places with great reviews. The next trip, again, only great reviews. The third trip, we were on Deluxe Dining and had a lot of ADR's so we tried what are now our old favorites, and then some that we wanted to try for the first time that maybe we wouldn't have tried b/c of mixed reviews. We are now to the point where we have tried most of the great review places (mostly left are signature experiences) and we have our old favorites. So for example, this trip, we are trying Garden Grill at Epcot which consistently gets mixed reviews. The way I look at it is that we spend a lot of money on these trips and I don't want a bad meal. But we also want new experiences. So we are not moving towards the "mixed review" category. And I will then decide for myself. With so many dining choices at WDW, you can go for a couple of years and only eat at the places with amazing reviews. Now that we are planning for our 9th trip to the WDW, we want a different experience, so that means we want new dining options. And that means, going out of my comfort zone.

MouseDreaming

Boy, the one we did on heavy recommendation that we didn't like was 50's prime time. We all agree one and done. On the other hand, we tried Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch based on some recommendations and reviews, and it was great! The waitress even had to give me a recommendation of what to order, as it all looked pretty yummy. Best pot roast-EVER! Sadly, better than the one I make at home. I also knew I had to try the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. I usually don't order dessert, and my family wasn't too excited about it. Then it came out, and I had to do battle to have more than one bite. DD wants to go back just for that.

There are also restaurants that we like a lot, that if I just went on reviews, we might not have gone. Sci Fi and Tony's come to mind.

So, I guess the best way to answer this question--for us, we go where we want to, but might throw in one that seems interesting based on what others have said. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom