Restaurant capacity and live entertainment restrictions are currently limiting Walt Disney World theme park attendance according to Bob Chapek

TrainsOfDisney

You couldn't have said it better!
On Sunday I received a survey about my AP. It took me 45 minutes to complete. It was BRUTAL! I could not believe the options they gave for how good or how awful the AP process is now.
I was an AP from 2004 to 2021. Many of those years I had the California / Florida pass.

I miss Disney but I’m not jumping through the park reservation hoops after paying that kinda money for an AP.

chama1

You couldn't have said it better!
On Sunday I received a survey about my AP. It took me 45 minutes to complete. It was BRUTAL! I could not believe the options they gave for how good or how awful the AP process is now.
I received the survey also, and my responses were not "ladylike"....the options were sooooo not with what's happening now at the parks I'm thinking Disney really didn't want to know what the AP's think of the Parks now...and Yes I see a Gene Plus....

EeyoreFan#24

He continued, "The self-imposed capacity constraints are really a function of our food and beverage sort of (expense) mitigation, if you will. But the second one is live entertainment. And we're working towards restoring both of those so that we can get up to something that would be more similar to what we've seen in the past in terms of the number of people (labor costs) we put into our parks. But I must tell you that our ability to increase our guest experience (control our costs) through a reservation system and a very carefully managed demand ticketing system has been something that we really like, and I think guaranteeing our guests that they have a great experience (increasing our profit) no matter when they come, whether it be the Christmas holiday or whether it be in the middle of the month of September, that's really important to us. And so we're going to self-manage this to optimize the guest experience (manage profit margins), but at the same time we know we have head room, whether do it international or expansion and reinstatement (reimagined for cheaper labor) of things like live entertainment."

BotL

I have been cursed by God with the gift of thought. As I think about it more and more, what live entertainment is currently shelved? Fantasmic, VotLM, and Finding Nemo? Most outdoor entertainment got rolled back into action throughout the quarter, from the big (IJESS) to the small (VoL and various outdoor performances around World Showcase).

Day parades aren't back, but that's gotta be nothing outside of staffing for day parades and bad capital outlay/cynical management for a complete lack of a night parade in the most popular park in the history of the earth.

From my last wo trips to the swamps to visit friends and family, I can tell you that if the dining venue was a popular one, it was a packed one. There is no one to blame except the executive team from the CEO down to whoever they conned into managing TDO.
The dinner show live entertainment is still not back.

Touchdown

Epcot never seemed crowded, MK was more moderately crowded but not horrible, DHS is miserable and AK was midday too. I think that’s the problem the most in demand parks have the least capacity (especially at AK in 60 degree weather and Everest closed that means 4 rides adults want to ride in the entire park.) Also we need entertainment back at AK, Nemo sucks up a lot of people. DHS also needs more shows.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Meanwhile, Herschend announces that they're going to pay college tuition for all 11,000 of their employees.

Thats where the Bobs can have impact, telling their budgetary planning folks to reassess the labor cost to reach the targeted staffing levels. Theres a bit of a gap in the realization of converting "vision" into policy, especially when they budget labor costs.

castlecake2.0

Meanwhile, Herschend announces that they're going to pay college tuition for all 11,000 of their employees.
Disney has been doing that for about 5 years now

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He continued, "The self-imposed capacity constraints are really a function of our food and beverage sort of (expense) mitigation, if you will. But the second one is live entertainment. And we're working towards restoring both of those so that we can get up to something that would be more similar to what we've seen in the past in terms of the number of people (labor costs) we put into our parks. But I must tell you that our ability to increase our guest experience (control our costs) through a reservation system and a very carefully managed demand ticketing system has been something that we really like, and I think guaranteeing our guests that they have a great experience (increasing our profit) no matter when they come, whether it be the Christmas holiday or whether it be in the middle of the month of September, that's really important to us. And so we're going to self-manage this to optimize the guest experience (manage profit margins), but at the same time we know we have head room, whether do it international or expansion and reinstatement (reimagined for cheaper labor) of things like live entertainment."
That is 100% 🐴💩

every word

PhilharMagician

I think Covid should have required them to publish numbers... Because out of my 30 years of attending the parks, I have never seen it as busy as it is now.
I agree, that some idea of crowds numbers would have helped. Touring Plans crowds calculator had parks at 2's and 3's and waits were out of sight. We were there the first week in December which is typically a fairly slow time of the year. Unfortunately it reminded me more of Thanksgiving week with the crowds and wait times. Everything was extremely busy and had large lines from QS locations to restrooms. When you are waiting 50 minutes for TTA, you know it is a little busy. I think Chappy is full of s**t! The 10 days we were there still had park ressies available the entire time and the parks were insane. I do not see any limiting of guests being done. The only limiting that I saw was guest services because of high crowds and limited staffing. Worst trip we have done. I cannot see going back until Disney can get their operations back in stride.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has been doing that for about 5 years now

They need a longer term, more stable workforce.

disruptions will hurt profits in the short and longterm.

if there’s one good thing to come out of this whole debacle…it’s that.

the reliance on minimum wage, college program and IP was always a potential problem.

If they just suck it up and stay “slightly” above the going rate in town…the returns in revenue would be there. Much better/happier staff. Labor 101

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree, that some idea of crowds numbers would have helped. Touring Plans crowds calculator had parks at 2's and 3's and waits were out of sight. We were there the first week in December which is typically a fairly slow time of the year. Unfortunately it reminded me more of Thanksgiving week with the crowds and wait times. Everything was extremely busy and had large lines from QS locations to restrooms. When you are waiting 50 minutes for TTA, you know it is a little busy. I think Chappy is full of s**t! The 10 days we were there still had park ressies available the entire time and the parks were insane. I do not see any limiting of guests being done. The only limiting that I saw was guest services because of high crowds and limited staffing. Worst trip we have done. I cannot see going back until Disney can get their operations back in stride.
That leads to the conclusion that some thing(s) are being manipulated

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Epcot never seemed crowded, MK was more moderately crowded but not horrible, DHS is miserable and AK was midday too. I think that’s the problem the most in demand parks have the least capacity (especially at AK in 60 degree weather and Everest closed that means 4 rides adults want to ride in the entire park.) Also we need entertainment back at AK, Nemo sucks up a lot of people. DHS also needs more shows.
There’s a difference between path “crowds” and attraction/service processing

my hunch is the problem is at the locations…not the front gate.

there’s a game being played here.

fgmnt

They need a longer term, more stable workforce.

disruptions will hurt profits in the short and longterm.

if there’s one good thing to come out of this whole debacle…it’s that.

the reliance on minimum wage, college program and IP was always a potential problem.

If they just suck it up and stay “slightly” above the going rate in town…the returns in revenue would be there. Much better/happier staff. Labor 101
Disney also has the economies of scale to potentially house their workers and build communities for them that could provide for better employee morale and performance by keeping their rents stable and transport from their home to their job not reliant on individual vehicles. Instead it’s manifested as the DCP. I can’t speak to the exact rent for the current living quarters, but i am pretty sure it is very very bad!

Chomama

There’s a difference between path “crowds” and attraction/service processing

my hunch is the problem is at the locations…not the front gate.

there’s a game being played here.
Also there’s just less to do. Just rides. We used to stop to watch the performers by the carousel and try to pull the sword, British revolution, chinese acrobats, jammitors in future world (not in American gardens), Nemo, parades day and night, more restaurants to try, diverse merch to explore, push trash can, ho down, pirate training, Jedi training, Star Wars character show, storm trooper March, citizens of Hollywood, France jugglers, need i go on????? They don’t have enough going on the entertain the masses all day. Ride capacity isn’t enough and it’s making everything crowded. Less table service means longer waits for quick service. It’s boring now

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also there’s just less to do. Just rides. We used to stop to watch the performers by the carousel and try to pull the sword, British revolution, chinese acrobats, jammitors in future world (not in American gardens), Nemo, parades day and night, more restaurants to try, diverse merch to explore, push trash can, ho down, pirate training, Jedi training, Star Wars character show, storm trooper March, citizens of Hollywood, France jugglers, need i go on????? They don’t have enough going on the entertain the masses all day. Ride capacity isn’t enough and it’s making everything crowded. Less table service means longer waits for quick service. It’s boring now
Exactly my point. Disney also allowed their comfortable operational attraction capacity to be exceeded long before 2019.

to sell after hours.

I believe I told some people not to fall for that and identify the root problem.

hearing is a lost art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom