Restaurant capacity and live entertainment restrictions are currently limiting Walt Disney World theme park attendance according to Bob Chapek

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Problem is, they need that all over property. Of the four parks, the MK is the one least in need, right now.

To be clear, that doesn't mean the MK doesn't also need it.

They just can't keep letting the other three fall short while continuing to add to the only one that already has a full day worth of attractions. All that'll do is continue to funnel even more of the bulk of traffic to that one park while attendance drops at the other three.

For guest satisfaction, they need more everywhere, yesterday.

Their new solution seems to be Genie+ and Lightning lane, though, which tells you all you need to when it comes to this management's take on guest satisfaction.

Until their financials take a downward trend that increasing prices everywhere can't offset, expect this to continue.

That means all those people swearing their next trip planned for sometime in the next 18 months will absolutely be their last unless, have to actually mean it... and then some.
Indeed

we’re coming up on 5 years since the last groundbreaking…and more like 9 years since Dak??

it’s just not good enough. These games with long timelines and not doing standard park changes that all the “crappy” places know to do.

can’t sit like this and they’re doing it again. If they announced RIGHT now…it would be 2026/7 at the earliest to open.

that’s just not cutting it after Bob and Eisner did too little from 1999-2015

Chomama

So the crux is that you've seen everything and you're over it. Thats different than theres nothing to do.
I would say it’s a mix but those exhibits used to rotate more frequently. Also Marrakesh closed which had entertainment. There are several restaurants still shuttered. No entertainment. Actually. No. It isn’t that we have seen it all. It’s that we used to wander slowly and try to time catching the shows and meeting the country specific characters (which are also gone). The park feels dead. Compared to my last visit before the pandemic in February 2020 it has not come back to life. Also other things missing. - pirates cruise, 1900 park fare, hoop Dee dodo, bb boutique, spirit of aloha, orchestra at the grand, kids pirate adventures, kids club babysitting, hula lessons at the poly, animation academy, lots of meet and greets, avatar robot guy. There is objectively less to do and see which makes a visit less appealing. It isn’t about the cost even though I’m annoyed by the increases. It’s that there just isn’t the same draw. We went to hoop at least 3 times a year and it’s never bored us. Are carriage rides back at the fort? Hayrides? All live entertainment at boardwalk and port orleans? Jelly rolls dueling pianos? Citizens of Main Street ? Welcome show sadly gone forever. Thank goodness artist point is back. That’s a good one. Only one water park. I’m not trying to be argumentative but also wanted to point out what’s missing for US. Of course it’s different for every family. I’m just frustrated by the current experience. And yes that means we aren’t going like we used to. Several other vacations this year that would normally be disney. We miss it. Our 4k kiddo has never hugged Mickey (that he can remember). It’s just not the same.

Ltalley1

It came from Christine -

"We’ve been saying this all along through the pandemic, where we have taken measures to really look at the cost base and how we’re doing things, and there has been a fundamental shift in some of the operational processes that the parks had used for many, many years. And things like the ability to do mobile dining, or not having to check in with the human being at a hotel. Those kinds of things are all things that add to some upside that we have at the parks."
They really should not let Christine speak at these events or with the media at all! First, the "waistline" comment and now this comment about not needing human beings. Even if true, it should not be stated this way. Someone needs some serious media training.

Diamond Dot

This today on the BBC News website.

Reading this had made me change my strategy for next month's trip. I'm still not wasting money on LL and I wish the people who will be doing it will quit complaining about having to get up early to book them at 7am, no one is forcing anyone to do this.
I am going to make it a trip about chilling, I'm going to make a list of rides that I am willing to wait and hour+ in line for, those I will wait up to 45 minutes for and those that I can live without doing if it comes to it. Seriously, I am not going to wait more than 20 minutes to do Na'vi River Journey. Soarin' could be on that list too, if it had been Soarin' Over California I would be willing to wait in a fairly long line, but, not Soarin' Around The World. I have to say I've never done Flight Of Passage without a FP+, so I'm interested in seeing what the theming is like for that one.
I'm also going to fully explore the resorts and spend time viewing the animals at AKL, chilling out in Disney Springs and stroll my way around the parks, basically not making the attractions a priority this time. I'm just going to go with the flow.
I will do one thing though, if I have some vlogger talking loudly and filming me in the background without my consent I will be doing some choice sign language for their followers to enjoy.
To be honest, I think the price rises could be a factor in the rise in fights and bad behaviour at Disney, people are spending so much that when they don't get what they are led to believe from the adverts they get resentful and that can lead to small incidents, like the one recently where a man and a woman, who didn't know each other, got into a brawl on Main Street because they had clipped the ankle of the other with their stroller, don't know if it was accidentally or on purpose, but, come on!

Last edited:

yensid1967

"because we don't want our guests to feel an excessive level of density."

--When do guests think that the current live entertainment is DENSE or too much? I think its not enough given for the costs they are asking for things.
--I think Genie+ WILL BE REPLACED by something else!!! I PRAY! Planning a Disney trip was the first step to an enjoyable time to plan, but now that everyday has to be panned to a T, it sucks the enjoyment out of planning! I try not to put too much time into planning anymore than I have to! #1- IT'S CONFUSING to plan each day with rides you want and may not get to ride because there are no more times left for the day and then that makes guests unhappy that they paid extra for the guarantee to ride! To quote..."our ability to increase our guest experience through a reservation system and a very carefully managed demand ticketing system has been something that we really like, and I think guaranteeing our guests that they have a great experience no matter when they come"

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
It came from Christine -

"We’ve been saying this all along through the pandemic, where we have taken measures to really look at the cost base and how we’re doing things, and there has been a fundamental shift in some of the operational processes that the parks had used for many, many years. And things like the ability to do mobile dining, or not having to check in with the human being at a hotel. Those kinds of things are all things that add to some upside that we have at the parks."
wasn't she the genius talking about portion sizes on the last call that backfired on her?

PhilharMagician

"because we don't want our guests to feel an excessive level of density."

--When do guests think that the current live entertainment is DENSE or too much? I think its not enough given for the costs they are asking for things.
--I think Genie+ WILL BE REPLACED by something else!!! I PRAY! Planning a Disney trip was the first step to an enjoyable time to plan, but now that everyday has to be panned to a T, it sucks the enjoyment out of planning! I try not to put too much time into planning anymore than I have to! #1- IT'S CONFUSING to plan each day with rides you want and may not get to ride because there are no more times left for the day and then that makes guests unhappy that they paid extra for the guarantee to ride! To quote..."our ability to increase our guest experience through a reservation system and a very carefully managed demand ticketing system has been something that we really like, and I think guaranteeing our guests that they have a great experience no matter when they come"
It is very confusing and quite annoying. Then with Genie + you have to be ready each morning to jump onto the app and schedule your rides/shows you want to do. Don't forget that if you want lunch or dinner at a QS restaurant, you need to get on your app and order your food an hour or 2 early specially if you want to eat during peak times. Next will be that you will have to book your transportation times on the buses, monorails or boats. :banghead: No matter what, Disney is making a ton of new money on Genie+ and ILL

What is currently going on is no fun for us. I would like to blame it on the pandemic, but these operation changes have been in the plans well before COVID. It is going to takes us a while to digest what we went through and decide if and when to return to WDW.

No matter what, Disney is making a ton of new money on Genie+ and ILL

yensid1967

It is very confusing and quite annoying. Then with Genie + you have to be ready each morning to jump onto the app and schedule your rides/shows you want to do. Don't forget that if you want lunch or dinner at a QS restaurant, you need to get on your app and order your food an hour or 2 early specially if you want to eat during peak times. Next will be that you will have to book your transportation times on the buses, monorails or boats. :banghead: No matter what, Disney is making a ton of new money on Genie+ and ILL

What is currently going on is no fun for us. I would like to blame it on the pandemic, but these operation changes have been in the plans well before COVID. It is going to takes us a while to digest what we went through and decide if and when to return to WDW.

No matter what, Disney is making a ton of new money on Genie+ and ILL
BOYCOT DISNEY IS COMING SOON!

Lirael

I would like to blame it on the pandemic, but these operation changes have been in the plans well before COVID.
Covid is just the excuse Disney finally had to test out "how little they can offer and still get a lot of money". Things like restaurant closures no longer make sense: there's enough people going to the parks to warrant more places open. Same with entertainment. Heck, it would actually be 'Covid beneficial' to have as many options open to spread out demand, trying to create some semblance of social distancing.

Regardless of whether you stand on the need of masks, vaccines, social distancing and etc, fact remains disney's choices "due to covid" (the closures and decrease of CMs all around, including cleaning crew etc) are against any actual covid protection logic. They're all "protect margin" logic and using Covid as an excuse to do what they couldn't in any other period

drizgirl

Covid is just the excuse Disney finally had to test out "how little they can offer and still get a lot of money". Things like restaurant closures no longer make sense: there's enough people going to the parks to warrant more places open. Same with entertainment. Heck, it would actually be 'Covid beneficial' to have as many options open to spread out demand, trying to create some semblance of social distancing.

Regardless of whether you stand on the need of masks, vaccines, social distancing and etc, fact remains disney's choices "due to covid" (the closures and decrease of CMs all around, including cleaning crew etc) are against any actual covid protection logic. They're all "protect margin" logic and using Covid as an excuse to do what they couldn't in any other period
It's not all about demand. They have to be able to staff those places, and that continues to be a challenge.

Diamond Dot

Just a thought, probably considered off topic, but, if there was no social media or YouTube do you think the parks would be as busy as they are now?

Lilofan

Not original . My local bagel place has a sign on their front door "Due to Covid , we had to raise all of our food prices ".

JMcMahonEsq

At a small, local place, that's much more understandable. Less customers = less revenue = a need to raise prices. For a huge conglomerate running already ridiculously priced theme parks...it's just cover.
Wait so the small mom and pop place with low overhead and operating costs is going to be effected more by a global shutdown as opposed to the large sprawling operation with massive overhead?

J4546

Out of the 4 Disney parks in Florida, AK has the least amount of rides and has gone the longest without anything major and has also gotten rid of Primevil Whirl so it would seem to be the most primed for something major BUT.....imo Ak is the best park in FL and Id rather see something else huge happen at DHS before anything else cause thats my least fave park. Although I totally get that its prob alot of people fave park and has gotten so much work done to it lately (GE, TSL, MMRR) but Id love to see the northwest quadrant that is just backstage buildings all get demolished and a massive expansion built

ImperfectPixie

Wait so the small mom and pop place with low overhead and operating costs is going to be effected more by a global shutdown as opposed to the large sprawling operation with massive overhead?
You mean a large sprawling operation with massive negotiating power with suppliers, instant access to huge loans, and that pays ONE of it's employees tens of millions of dollars per year?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom